• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Ikonix centre pin reel

Hello George, i too am a pin virgin. would it be possible to tell us novices how to oil the reel correctly. Does it have to be dismantled first, or just on the moving parts we can see. Thank you, Derek.

Hello George, i too am a pin virgin. would it be possible to tell us novices how to oil the reel correctly. Does it have to be dismantled first, or just on the moving parts we can see. Thank you, Derek.

Derek this should help you out its a step by step with pictures I did for a friend who bought one showing him how to take it apart & maintain it. I hope you find it useful. Its done in microsoft office and is 1.5mb
http://traditionalfloats.webs.com/centrepin%20reels/maintenance/Centrepin%20Maint.doc

There is one thing I forgot to put into it when doing it and that was remember to do the other set of bearings at the back of the spool in the centre of the toothed cog.;)

As for general maintenance I always carry a paintbrush with the handle cut off in my jacket pocket for the times on the river when grit or dirt gets into the spool, instead of dipping the reel into the water & trying to flush it out, I just brush it out with the brush. I always strip my reel and oil after every outing.

Last edited:
my screw wont come out on the front, it just spins now, it did come out before.

After the banter on this thread I bit the bullet and ordered a reel from Dragon...yesterday evening I got an e-mail to say it was despatched and sure enough this morning the carrier knocked the door...I was like a kid at Christmas fighting to get the sticky tape off the package...my first impression.....BRILLIANT....nice to the touch, no sharp edges, spun quit well, not the 2 minutes that Andreas's reel performed but close on a minute.....Now if I was to be picky, PERSONALLY I would have prefered a line guard, PERSONALLY I would have prefered a more subdued colour and PERSONALLY I would have prefered an easier operation for the ratchet [one handed !].... BUT for £36 I am NOT complaining...It's great value for money and will look forward to giving it a run on the bank....Now a question for George, I've stripped it down as you have recommended but do I need to take the toothed cog off to access the rear bearing. I've tapped it to see if it [the bearing] drops out like the front one but no movement and I'm loathed to take a screwdriver to the four screws on the cog for two reasons 1] do not have the correct sized driver and 2] my Dad used to cry when he saw me with a screw driver in my hands...to say I'm ham fisted is polite !!! Your guidence please George.

Last edited:
Surely, someone must have been able to get it to spin for over two minutes?

Bill: I also would like a more subdued colour. A gun metal or matt finish would have been nice. As for the ratchet, I have sometimes managed to operate it with one hand. Just needs a bit of getting use to I think...

You know it makes sense Bill :) for £36 nobody can really complain about it, AS for the personal touches I think if they had to put them on it would hike the price up but none of them matter to me so am more than happy with my £36 reel :)

As to your rear bearing question I wouldnt bother accessing them as there is really no need as you can easily oil them with the cog still in place. I have taken off the cog once which you need to do to get them to come out, as I always strip right down for my own assurance but really there is no need to do it.
As Andreas says you can operate the ratchet with a little practise single handed, Ive managed it whilst playing fish and holding the rod.

Mine has also arrived today and I'm delighted with the value for money. Seems to spin pretty well straight out of the box with no rumbling from the bearings. The ratchet switch doesn't seem too much of a problem, similar location to my old Aerial.

Now have to wait until Christmas before I can use it, told my wife she was getting it for me as a Christmas present so she has insisted on wrapping it for the big day! Good job I have other pins to use up until then.;)

As you say George "It makes sense"...GREAT value for £36 when you consider the c**p you can buy for more than 36 quid off e-bay, even if mine only spins for a minute !!!. As I highlighted the preferences are PERSONAL and as you said in an earlier post George we will all have our thoughts on what is good and bad...Overall I'm chuffed with my purchase...Thanks for the guidence about the rear bearing I'm going to leave well alone...
........Andreas, I've had a play with the reel mounted on a rod and yes I can twiddle my finger and engage/disengage the ratchet, whether I can do it with a fish belting off downstream remains to be seen....
.....Steve, may I wish you a Merry Christmas, any idea what the wife is buying you !!! ?

.....Steve, may I wish you a Merry Christmas, any idea what the wife is buying you !!! ?

More concerned about what I'm buying for HER! Only clue so far is that she wants a coat, now would that be a use for some of those otter skins? :rolleyes: (joke, honest!)

Steve may I recommend a Sundridge igloo lovely warm coat. Great water proof quality's as well lol.

Spent an hour today in my local tackle shop doing a compare and contrast against all their other centrepins with prices ranging up to £400. This reel in the shop, performed so well against all the others I brought 3. ( Even mannaged to get a multi-buy discount) Blown away!! Will be out fishing tomorrow so I will get a chance to see what they are like on the bank. My only question is; why do we have to pay more money for other reels?

My only question is; why do we have to pay more money for other reels?
Precision Engineering costs & manufacturer would be the top of the list as other reels are not massed produced like the ikonix/cortesi reels and made genberally from a single block of aluminium and better bearings....etc etc etc.:)

Just been playing with em. They all spin at the same rate and seem very balanced. Just can't get my head round it. But the proof will be in the pudding when I give em a go tomorrow.

Last edited:
Just picked one up from the used tackle show at Trentham gardens, what can i say other than very good for the money.

I've just ordered one yesterday so hopefully will turn up by early next week.

The two I ordered arrived this weekend and I'm seriously impressed. Better quality of finish than I expected for the money and whilst one spins slightly better than the other it matters not as I suspect all it needs is a little oil, but that one can be my ledgering / barbel reel. The other will be spooled with 4lb line and will be put through it's paces on the Lower Itchen next weekend. Looking forward to that.

Duncan.

Last edited:
A thought occurred to me just now, after reading about the many people who have bought these reels: "Maybe not the greatest pin in the world, but still pretty good ... a force for the good in fishing after all the big-bucks centrepin baloney on the past couple of decades ... getting a lot of people using a pin for the first time ... a people's reel, like the old Speedias...".

Back