• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Ikonix centre pin reel

There's no adjustment on the drag but the ratchet is pretty strong, stronger than any of my other pins (okuma speedia or Fred crouch arial) so would handle a considerable amount of debris before giving line

just like to say, after reading all the replies on this thread, especially from some very experienced river anglers, ive finally took the plunge and ordered my first ever pins ( 2 ). thank you all. Alls i need now is some lessons. :) HEY COME BACK, WHERE ARE YOU ALL GOING. lol. ;) thanks again lads.

If anybody experiences "washing line" drag when using any 'pin, cut a cylinder of course/firm spounge rubber a bit larger than the diameter of your butt ring and insert after casting....walla, stops the reel revolving....It's a little trick we used to use back in the 70's when carp fishing to increase the drag on the line before the days of baitrunner reels....

My pins have an adjustable ratchet switch on the back so that it can be set from very light to where you can move swims with 4oz on and not move the spool.
Now not cheap but that sort of thing on the best reels comes at a price.

Rich.

If anybody experiences "washing line" drag when using any 'pin, cut a cylinder of course/firm spounge rubber a bit larger than the diameter of your butt ring and insert after casting....walla, stops the reel revolving....It's a little trick we used to use back in the 70's when carp fishing to increase the drag on the line before the days of baitrunner reels....

Foamed up ! very effective :) most 'BIG' problems have simple answers ;)

Had a spin of my brothers reel this morning and must say that i was very, very impressed! Will be picking one up in the next couple of days myself.

Trevor

Or use a line clip!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SET-2-CARP-RO...tingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item2c4c4563fe

Or elastic band on handle as per John Wilson's pike rods.

Well I have opened the wallet and sent for one of these. For £30, what is there to lose. If it doesn't work out, it will be on fleabay in a weeks time, starting price £50! Any takers?:D

Used mine today trotting a small river, had a couple of chub, very impressed. I was only using a 3BB float, but that was enough to make it spin.

Great thread and interesting to hear so many 'pin virgins (for want of a better expression :)) splashing out on the DragonCarp version. Out of curiosity; the DragonCarp ad states the reel is 4" and is silver, yet the Ikonix version (which I have) is 4.25" and coppery coloured. I'm inclined to think the ad is incorrect and the reels are the same (bar the colour and name). Can anyone enlighten me?

Assuming it's the same, it's weird that such a good tool has had at least 3 distributors and has been cheaper with each new incarnation.......

didn't the X PIN come in 2 sizes 4,and 4.5, my xpin says 4.1/4..:confused:
but anyway, just think fishtec were selling these for £109 years ago,
now £30..:(:mad:

Last edited:
Richard, Its definitely 4" and silver. Tried it yesterday for ledgering in fast moving water and was very impressed (stiff ratchet) and then I used it today for trotting...again very impressed. Tried to get another one today but apparently Dragon Carp have run out of stock, but they'll be getting some more in soon.

i did a spin test on mine, most i could get was 21 secs from one hard spin.
and with a little oil,1 min,20.

Last edited:
i did a spin test on mine, most i could get was 21 secs from one hard spin.
and with a little oil,1 min,20.
heard of another like that today and when stripped down and lubed with 3in1 oil and re assembled went on for over 2 minutes, what oil are you using? Please dont say WD40!
I only use sewing machine oil or krytox on all my reels and never any problems.

Back