• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Ikonix centre pin reel

A thought occurred to me just now, after reading about the many people who have bought these reels: "Maybe not the greatest pin in the world, but still pretty good ... a force for the good in fishing after all the big-bucks centrepin baloney on the past couple of decades ... getting a lot of people using a pin for the first time ... a people's reel, like the old Speedias...".

volkshaspel

Gotta ring to it...

More like....

人民辘

very happy with mine. There;s not a lot between this and my Aventa Pro - both bearing based.

We all bemoan the cheap Asian imports but when they are quite good its hard to say no.

A thought occurred to me just now, after reading about the many people who have bought these reels: "Maybe not the greatest pin in the world, but still pretty good ... a force for the good in fishing after all the big-bucks centrepin baloney on the past couple of decades ... getting a lot of people using a pin for the first time ... a people's reel, like the old Speedias...".
I've brought my 12 year old one. He's been practising in the garden as the fishing was rained off. After a bit of help he was starting to get the hang of Wallis casting a 1/2 oz bomb into a bucket . So after reading this got to thinking if anyone is new to pins in the Kent, East Sussex area. I'd be happy to show them the basics.

Last edited:
I too have just invested in a centrepin job for the first time. Got mine off fleabay. (£28.50) A very lightly used Leeds, runs free as the wind ................... ......................... blow gently on the spool and it spins.
That's all I need. Now I can spend more on bait, Xmas cards and pressis. ;)

On the subject of wallis casting, what's the idea behind holding the rig in your hand when you make the cast? Just seems both unnecessary and awkward to me, much easier to cast as you normally would, pulling the line by the reel to get it spinning, but with the rig swinging free.
Anyone?

Agreed. I bought one too and very pleased with it. It's my first pin and will be matched with my George Howell Float Rod which I have been waiting to do for a while. Some of us not being able to afford £100+ for a reel in recent times.

Looking forward to it, too. :)

Agreed. I bought one too and very pleased with it. It's my first pin and will be matched with my George Howell Float Rod which I have been waiting to do for a while. Some of us not being able to afford £100+ for a reel in recent times.

Looking forward to it, too. :)

I have to agree with you Simon. I think a lot of people have looked at pins and like myself could justify spending £100+ for an item of tackle that may not get used that much and as you say it's been tough times lately. This reel seems a bargain and lloking forward to mine turning up.

On the subject of wallis casting, what's the idea behind holding the rig in your hand when you make the cast? Just seems both unnecessary and awkward to me, much easier to cast as you normally would, pulling the line by the reel to get it spinning, but with the rig swinging free.
Anyone?
that's what i do sometimes, just watch the overspin.

Anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d66SxYX7PN0

the point of holding the line when doing the cast is manyfold ,one it keeps it everything tight so it doesn't catch on anything like bankside foliage ,two by holding the line you actually put a bit of tension on the tip of the rod which once released help propel light floats forwards & out ,three it greatly aids with the underarm variant and with casting a shirt button style shotting patten

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQhAP8DIS5A

but it has too be done right too be effective ,your hand should be upside down with your thumb pointing towards the ground & gripping the line (bottom or bulk shot) with your pinky and next finger ,so that when you release it ,it swings away from your hand rather than the hook flying into it.

if your casting in the clear then you can cast with the terminal tackle hanging clear ,its easier too do it this way if your casting overhead or with your rod accross your body at 45* (accross your left shoulder) but it has limitations when using a true pin ,which should be held in the horizontal plane to work properly or casting from the side parallel too the ground .this way is easier with a bulk shotting patten ,than a shirt button style

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQYMz8En0bQ

incidently the pendulum style is the way i was taught as a kid ,on the banks of the trent ,a traditional nottingham style of casting that pre-dates wallis's more refind style of casting .

I found it helped to hold the lead in my left hand when I was learning to Wallis cast. Be careful though as I buried a hook into my thumb doing just that. I now only hold and release the lead when casting at distance, as I find I can get more distance and with greater accuracy.

Just for the record, most trotting is carried out only one or two rod lengths out, so not too much line off the spool is required. Also, in most applications when targeting larger fish, shirt button style of shotting is not the norm, better off with bulk shotting, with just a couple of droppers under the bulk shot. The latter is more easily cast, gets the bait down quicker, and is the best way to fish bread and seed baits.

ps. Two decent purchases to be had here.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LEEDS-5-1-2in...ngAcces_RL&hash=item2a0b8cdc46#ht_1561wt_1139

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Centre-Pin-Re...ingAcces_RL&hash=item336266a8a5#ht_500wt_1156

Last edited:
Not all of us, Clive.....only the blinkered few who still believe British is best (I'll get my coat :))

Yes indeed Mr Parsons, you get your coat. I'm with the blinkered: British is the best:). Lythe, Mills, carter, Witcher, Allcocks..... the list goes on. Sublime, perfect and beautiful reels, at a price. What we don't do best, however, is the mass produced cheap stuff. So I suppose you can hang that coat back up again:(.

British is best?

:p:D:p:D:p:D

Morris.marina.arp.750pix.jpg

That was when all our rivers were full of fish, pre insecticides, pesticides, signal crays, cormorants, re-hashed sewerage from 60,000,000 people, Eastern Europeans fishing for the table ........................... and tame otters. :D

they were the days.
but, alas, the EA say our rivers have never been so healthy....:confused:

Just for the record, most trotting is carried out only one or two rod lengths out, so not too much line off the spool is required. Also, in most applications when targeting larger fish, shirt button style of shotting is not the norm, better off with bulk shotting, with just a couple of droppers under the bulk shot. The latter is more easily cast, gets the bait down quicker, and is the best way to fish bread and seed baits.

ps. Two decent purchases to be had here.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LEEDS-5-1-2in...ngAcces_RL&hash=item2a0b8cdc46#ht_1561wt_1139

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Centre-Pin-Re...ingAcces_RL&hash=item336266a8a5#ht_500wt_1156

Pah, they both have handles on, they just used to get in the way ! pre lewtham ones are the best, made in a shed originally wern't they ? you could bat a dace upstream from 50yds in one hit with one of them ;):)

Last edited:
Back