• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Ikonix centre pin reel

Finally got the reel today. Stripped it down and lubed with 3 in 1 oil, the thing that is worrying me it's still only spins for about 40 seconds. It seems to be free enough but there is a slight noise, not sure if that is normal or not. The bearing was a little stiff to get out of the drum but have removed and lubed. Does this sound normal or not?

Finally got the reel today. Stripped it down and lubed with 3 in 1 oil, the thing that is worrying me it's still only spins for about 40 seconds. It seems to be free enough but there is a slight noise, not sure if that is normal or not. The bearing was a little stiff to get out of the drum but have removed and lubed. Does this sound normal or not?

Stuart mine was stiff when I first took the bearing out but the more you use the reel and the more it runs it gets easier. I have noticed and it runs better with time, Ive used it on 3 occassions now and each time was better than the last.

Cheers George, hoping to get out next weekend to try it out. I can't remember what line you said you used but was thinking of trying Bayer Perlon.

Differences in all of our reels is 'cos they are mass produced !!! mine has a slight noise like Stuarts but has not been used on the bank yet....It's been spun a few dozen times while sitting looking at the telly !!!..Even after oiling I can't get a spin longer than a minute but I'm still happy with the purchase. Perhaps in a year or three when I'm a bit more experienced with 'pins I might splash out on a better quality British built bit of kit but in the mean time this will do a job.

Cheers George, hoping to get out next weekend to try it out. I can't remember what line you said you used but was thinking of trying Bayer Perlon.

I use berkley fireline fused crystal 6lbs braid on all my trotting reels now, its like fishing with cotton thread I wouldnt change back to mono now. I used to fish bayern perlon in earlier years nothing wrong with it at all. :)

got mine from used tackle back in September used it a few times on the Dee trotting for Roach and Dace its as smooth as anything not had anything big but great fun had a few tangles but my casting is improving

Justin,
Nice motors - had a 1971 Signal Red Mk3 GT6 and a 1973 Magenta GT6 Mk 3........both sold on - wish I'd kept both. Had loads of spares including a 2.5 unit to drop in but never got round to it.
Anyway nowt about fishing but a nice memory.
Cheers
Bob

The 2.5 had a Lucas PI unit, if my memory serves me well - and these were mighty thirsty beasts compared to the 2.0 carburetted version. Anyway, why mess around with the GT6, get a proper car TR4A or a TR5, not a stretched spitfire!

I went to used tackle shop owned by dragon carp and spoke to the guy working there he said they will be getting some more pins in the new year some time and will still be the same price what ever stock they have now will go soon the shop still had some in as i bought one.

I finally went to place an order today after a week of should I or shouldn't I but they were all gone. I was told back in stock Feb.

Cheers
Al

The 2.5 had a Lucas PI unit, if my memory serves me well - and these were mighty thirsty beasts compared to the 2.0 carburetted version. Anyway, why mess around with the GT6, get a proper car TR4A or a TR5, not a stretched spitfire!

Had a TR5 a few years back. Not a bad motor but prefer my GT6. (It was my first car after all).

Back