• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Ikonix centre pin reel

:p:D:p:D:p:D

Morris.marina.arp.750pix.jpg

No.

British at its best!
DSCF3993.jpg
[/IMG]

beautiful car, but oh did they rust and break down a lot. Better off with one of these ..............

p1010608.jpg

And you could get yer B&W tackle in! :D

Last edited:
beautiful car, but oh did they rust and break down a lot. Better off with one of these ..............

p1010608.jpg

And you could get yer B&W tackle in! :D

That's a beauty Chris! I had a 'C' reg one in that awful colour 'Rose Taupe', it unfortunately succumbed to an excess of white metal buildup in the sump!

Aah Chris...

My Dear old Grandad Billy had one of those when I was a little fella (late 60's, early 70's?)

Proper countryman he was, could make anything, grow anything, build anything, catch anything, shoot anything, train gun dogs and break horses etc, etc...

I owe him so much and gave him so little...miss him greatly.

Thanks for the memories.

Daz.

The Chairman on Monday

Long-time readers of the now members-only Hamster Diary in "Social" will know that I have a now "hotted up" V8 Morris Minor Traveller. Here is a snap of the first Lady Beauchamps (1/19, I think) with the same, in 1963, outside one of our lesser properties (hmm... wonder what's happened to her...?)

morris-minor-traveller.jpg

Then there was the 1964 ('C' reg.) silver-blue 4.2 litre E Type. Lovely, slinky, speedy, feline creature. Wrapped it round a five-hundred-year-old oak whilst chasing off some flyfisher poachers.

And now there is the recently acquired Bugatti and the ditto J.B. Aston Martin DB5 (very handy, the machine guns). Ah yes, Motoring is still Motoring here in the timesless Hamsters. M6 or M25, anyone?

As ever,

B.B.

Last edited:
Lovely sentiment Darreyl, I bet you gave him more than you think.............

On the subject of wallis casting, what's the idea behind holding the rig in your hand when you make the cast? Just seems both unnecessary and awkward to me, much easier to cast as you normally would, pulling the line by the reel to get it spinning, but with the rig swinging free.
Anyone?

Rhys,

I shouldn't let it worry you mate, do what feels right for you I say...

Either with float or lead, I VERY rarely feel the need to hold the pointy end.

Holding the tackle with your free-hand won't aid in stopping over-runs, the thumb of your rod-hand controls this on the lip of the spool. (Some use an index finger).

Each to their own...

Swing Wild, Swing Free.

Daz.

Last edited:
Finally got to use the new reel today.Ironically I went down to the river in my mass produced 1971 Triumph GT6!! (Last day out with her this year me thinks).

The reel is awesome. A real Ronseal moment with this puppy. I won't be selling my Aerials just yet though.

Last edited:
Justin,
Nice motors - had a 1971 Signal Red Mk3 GT6 and a 1973 Magenta GT6 Mk 3........both sold on - wish I'd kept both. Had loads of spares including a 2.5 unit to drop in but never got round to it.
Anyway nowt about fishing but a nice memory.
Cheers
Bob

I have thought about getting a 2.5 block for a while now..hmmm..about 20 years. Nah, I love her the way she is.

Look, if someone enjoys a bit of kit, it doesn't really matter when and where it was made. I like my old collectable stuff when the mood takes me and I'll use damn fangled modern kit (With exception to my guitars and amps maybe. Can't beat a real 64 Country Gent, but this is totally different territory). So if it works and you are happy with it, enjoy it.

Last edited:
Rhys,

I shouldn't let it worry you mate, do what feels right for you I say...

Either with float or lead, I VERY rarely feel the need to hold the pointy end.

Holding the tackle with your free-hand won't aid in stopping over-runs, the thumb of your rod-hand controls this on the lip of the spool. (Some use an index finger).

Each to their own...

Swing Wild, Swing Free.

Daz.

I'd agree
Everyone casts slightly differently and develops thier own style. I'm a confirmed swinger (as in a casting ). If it gets it out there its OK... Most important bit is to keep things smooth and unhurried.

Perhaps I did Bill?

I certainly nearly give him a heart attack the day I came out of the pantry and into the kitchen with a fully loaded side-b-side twelvey and asked, "Are we going rabbitin today Grandy"? $$$$HHHH@@@@.....:eek: I was about six and 'obviously' a proper big game hunter by then!

And bad knees from constantly chasing me out the big greenhouse for popping his tomatoes or out the fruit garden wi strawberry mush all round me chops!! :D

40 years on...and I can still taste em now!:rolleyes:

Daz.

Fantastic Darreyl....that's made me chuckle....hang on to those thoughts, whatever happens in life no one can take them away....PRICELESS

This is what gets my blood pumping,

if only. The guy who's fixing my freezer at work, also has another job, putting air con in one of these>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

1968-Alfa-Romeo-33-Stradale-Rear-Red-st.jpg

and full frontal >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

204_alfa20romeo203320stradale.jpg

I lurve Italian classics. :)

oh wow, it hasn't blown up in a pile of smoke and flames,rarer than barbel on the cherwell.lol

Back