• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

BFW Grayling Fish-In

Nathan, from your earlier posts, I'm working on the assumption that there are no 'reserved places', we just turn up on the day, and pay on the bank. Is that correct?

p.s. Sorry to hear about your gear. I believe you can buy quite cheap garage alarms which may help in the future.

Anyone going should make sure they have some lighter sticks floats and not just the more traditional heavy balsas/avon floats. A recent foray for me saw a 4no.4 stick float get most use.

Andy yes you can just turn up on the day but I would like an idea of how many to expect, so I can inform Stuart the river keeper.

Good advice David, if the conditions are right.

Nathan. Sorry to hear that bad news - Makes you want to get your hands on the BXXXXXX. I suggest you contact the local tackle shops and describe whats been nicked and ask them to call the police if anyone comes in selling.

Chris, be good to see a couple of Rats there....

Graham

Would love to come along. Caught my first grayling a 1lb 8oz up at Amesbury a few years ago and was bitten by the bug. Just need to book a day off.

Kris

Mind you I have had my fishing gear nicked out of my garage overnight. The shisters took just about everything. Hoping I may be covered on the works insurance, if not I'm snookered! :-(

Really sorry to hear about this Nathan, it makes my blood boil. It's also made me check my insurance policy - again.

Hope that you're covered.

Conrad

Chris, yes you can certainly join us. I think there would be no fly fishing tbh.

Clive and Ian, thanks for that. I have found a few spares luckily, so should be OK for trotting. I've got no floats though...... :eek:

Thanks for your support and I'll PM you a list Clive, once I've sorted it out.

i'll look and see what avon floats i've got left ,thats finished /slight seconds (good ,just not good enough too sell ,as i can be picky in what i let leave the workshop) or just test floats ,you can have .

Thanks for the comments gents. I have had a bit of a result. Having gone through the garage, I have just found my float tubes with floats. They must have fallen out of a bag when they grabbed everything. They also missed my Daiwa float rod and I had a centrepin in the boot of the car along with a fixed spool reel. Result! :D

Good News and Bad News

Nathan,

Sorry to hear about your loss but good to learn that you will be able to fish.

Sadly something has cropped up which will prevent me from joining you all

:mad::mad::mad:

Hugo

Chavender, i'll ave em :)

i'll bring them along ,they're mostly floats i was testing idea's or finishes on etc and some that didn't quite make the grade by not having strait lines or ruined by my dodgy handwriting ,but all hand built by me and all sink like bricks when tugged by a fish .they range from a couple of swan to several ssg shotting wise .

DSC00280.jpg

Ian gets first choice ,then its first come first served on the day

I will be fishing with some of my creations if you want some just check trees and bushes of all the swims I fish in the 15th.

Had a lovely appetite whetting session at Barton Court today......my first ever grayling, and a few of them too. Nothing big but hugely enjoyable. :)

I love the look of the two small Crow quill balsas (or is it elder pith?).

Obviously too good for a ham fisted so and so like me, but I’d bet they work a treat!

Steven do you do those with yellow tops?

i'm not activly making floats at this time ,i had a site but yuku closed it down ,and work commitments and other things means i aint got the time or inclination at the moment ,been working on building some rods instead ,but i did do them in floro yellow ,red & orange ,sometimes black .i'll see though if i've a couple of yellow ones knocking around or i might find some time to repaint those .

but don't let that garish orange put you off though thats a trick of the camera and the florescense of the paint.

the two diddy ones in the middle are balsa ,although i did do some with elder pithe bodies as they was part of a test batch made for a traditional pole fishermen for use with a vintage cane roach pole ,that said i use some for the small rivers i fish which can be rather shallow ,they give great presentation for a delicate approach and can cope with monsters

DSCF2399.jpg

they maybe small ,but its not the size of your float that counts ,its how you use it.

Last edited:
Hello Chav, as i keep telling the missus. Its not the size of the nail that counts, but the size of the hammer that knocks it in. :D How are ya mate, well i hope. Shame about the YUKU site.

Back