• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

BFW Grayling Fish-In

Thanks Nathan for a well organised day and the morning teas !

Cough, cough, splutter, splutter..... At least Stuart was there to lend a hand and offer advice.

Sadly we were delayed. Didn't arrive until 8. My humble apologies to all concerned.

Still we had a good day. Some did pretty good. Graham did well with the chub and a nice roach but sadly lost a clonker.

I think most caught a few. Ian Tucker the pikey king of Kent managed 4 snappers to about 11.8lbs and Crooky had a couple too.

Finished off at the Bull at Downton a very iconic venue at one time. Food was not too bad, company was cr&p though! :D

Really enjoyed the day and good to put faces to names and have a bit of banter. Thanks to Nathan for organising.
ATB
Paul
PS. Cheers Steve for the lift.

Last edited:
Thanks Nathan for a well organised day and the morning teas ! Great meeting everyone, I think next time we should all stay overnight so beers can be partaken, leaving the Bull for the drive home was a wrench.

Yes, makes a long day of it with the driving. Definately staying next time. For me it should have been called the dace fish-in.......caught loads and some crackers too :). Didn't manage to really find the grayling but had a great day all the same.
Thanks for organizing this Nathan, great venue.

Next season anyone......?

Steve, there are some crackers aren't there ? Did anybody fish The Navigation ? Or was it too low ? Gutted I missed it !

I had a tremendous time despite my plan to mostly sit it out pike fishing to rest my terribly bad back, I started the day with a 45 minute route march with my trotting gear, slipping and sliding in the clayey mud just to find the old river, then wandered another 20 minutes down the old river, finally fishing a few swims and amassing 6 small grayling and 2 small brownies, the news Chubby (Ian T) had caught 3 pike to eleven and a half pound was just too much for me and I decided to take a more direct route back to the car, seeing as it was now only 100 yards away across the field (note to self: never ever take directions from Stuart the River Keeper).

I then sat and pike fished with deads for while, no luck decided to go for a wander with the lure rod, caught a couple of Jacks and eventually, after trekking another couple of miles and standing up lure fishing returned to sit out the last hour, my back is now in complete and utter agony again!! :(

Well done Graham and everyone else, thanks Nathan for organising it and convincing me to get up at 5.15 in order to arrive before 7.30 whilst you had an extra hour in bed ;)

See some of you again Saturday, when I will be definitely sitting fishing deadbaits all day!!!

Last edited:
Well done Nathan, looks like you have started something here!

All in, a great day, next time I too will stay over, did not mind the drive as Graham is great company and we did put the world to rights, but leaving the Bull was a wrench I could easily have stayed, had a beer, and talked fishing all night.

Nice to put faces to some names and to find those faces are very enjoyable company.

Hope your back gets better Crooky and don't fall in on Saturday!

Nobody would like to see that!!!:)

Keith. Thanks for your excellent company. Really appreciated the drive tc. However on one point we would have to disagree......................................

"Nobody would like to see that!!!":D

G

I had a great day (looking forwards to next Time i go ) ,got too fish someware new ,done a bit of exploring & caught some fish no biggies but they're all good to me ,got to meet and put a few names too faces ,was going to goto the bull after but the light was fading and i had to find my motel (travel lodge) ,i decided best go find it before it got too dark as i had no idea where it was (Amesbury about 8miles from the venue ,the other side of Salisbury) and as it turned out neither did my sat nav ,took me too a cul-de-sac just off the A303 a half hour later and a trip too stonehenge (not so impressive in the dark) going the wrong way then back past the island where the hotel was suposed to be and a 5 mile round trip in the other direction ( went to noware and came back) got back too the island then noticed a sign for burgerking and remembered that travel lodge advertised as being next too it ,it was tucked away behind a closed petrol station with just a tiny little sign to indicate its pressance . i finally got booked in ,went to burger kings for some fries & burger (blooming expensive ,will take extra sandwiches next time) got home today about 1pm had me lunch & rested now i'm off too unpack the car

A six-hour round trip (thanks for driving, Pete) for a handfull of grayling might seem extreme, but it was worth it for another excellent BFW gathering.

Like Crooky, I have a dodgy back so trotting with the pin was excruciating, but I don't get to do it very often and it was very enjoyable despite the pain. My 'new' Speedia proved to be a likeable step-up from the Marco Cortesi and I'm looking forward to many fine captures together. Like others, I had about half-a-dozen grayling, a few brownies and plenty of little (and not so little!) dace, followed by an enjoyable meet for food and ale in the pub afterwards. I took a couple of photos on the bank, I'll see if any are worth posting.

A big thanks to Nathan for putting it together. Who's doing the next one???

Thoroughly enjoyable day. The fishing was tougher than hoped for and the wind a bit of a challenge . The event however was a great success socially and a good laugh later in the pub. It was good to put faces to names and I hope that there are similar events in the future . Thanks to all who attended and made it such a success.

Kev

Just like to echo Kev's words but also add that Nathan, Kev and I were in the same car so feel we should share the blame for the late arrival. I certainly thought we had allowed enough time but it's amazing how a few minutes delay here and there add up. Still, all turned out well and I got a free Mars bar!

Geoff

Another thoroughly enjoyable BFW day - well done Nathan :)
Really like Britford and I was lucky enough to have 3 days there - even managed to catch some chub and roach yesterday (as well as millions of minnows).
Really good to catch up with some old friends and meet some new ones - what a nice bunch of chaps.
I did feel sorry for everyone having to drive home while I stayed in the Bull - almost put me off my beer ! :rolleyes:

Ohhhhhh the Minnows ! :D (mind you they are on steroids !).
They were that prolific on the Middle Marden a few years back the local match anglers took to literally chucking in a couple of pints of maggots beforehand in order to feed them off and get through to the Chub !
Pesky Things ! :eek:

Didn't you boys take any 'Happy Snaps' for those of us who were unable to attend to oggle at:p

too busy trying too wally cast into a gale at times too take photo's (actually just didn't think too :eek: ) i did take three shots

you can just see my car from here

DSC00323.jpg

this was me testing out a chubbing rod i'd built

DSC00322.jpg

nice chubbing rod ,stupid thing only caught minnows.:eek:

DSC00324.jpg

but i'm pretty sure theres a picture of a rather nice roach !

Sounds like a great day was had. Sadly with the new job, I wasn't able to make it...or hardly any fishing at all so far this year.
Well done Nathan for organising it all.

Another thoroughly enjoyable BFW day - well done Nathan :)
Really like Britford and I was lucky enough to have 3 days there - even managed to catch some chub and roach yesterday (as well as millions of minnows).
Really good to catch up with some old friends and meet some new ones - what a nice bunch of chaps.
I did feel sorry for everyone having to drive home while I stayed in the Bull - almost put me off my beer ! :rolleyes:

Hi Mark,
any of the roach on the float gear? (Or my maggots!)

Steve

Back