• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

tench fishing

Lovely photo that.

Finally got amongst some Yorkshire tench, both females each weighing 5lb 9oz :).

Steve.

Last edited:
Nice one Lee, if they like Tutti Frutti, you should really give Richworth's Esterberry a try, they will go mad for it........

Decided not to fish for Barbel today on the Wye as thought it might be very busy and also the river is not in good shape

So went Tench fishing at Napton Reservior had 37 Tench all on the float - great fun fish were between 3-6lbs

Dave

I had a mornings Tench fishing on my club lake.

19 fish to 6lb 1oz (male), with five other 5's.

Dawn over the main hall.
IMG_1527.jpg

First fish of the day.
IMG_1528.jpg

Mist rising and Tench bubbling by the lilies.
IMG_1530.jpg

Double hook up, feeder and float.
IMG_1531.jpg

Interestingly, most the fish were males today, with only one or two females.

Cracking morning, but paying for it now........ ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz

Steve

I've had a few this year on a tough 60 acre pit.
Best so far this one at 9.5

IMG_2609.jpg

A number around 6-7lbs

BrayTench08061.jpg

IMG_2736.jpg

Will be out again tomorrow morning with the float ;)

Ian

Julian, I maybe able to offer some advice but sadly I find reading your orange coloured post nigh on impossible.
Ain't worried about size or font just the colour.:eek:

Last edited:
my eyes have gone funny, i feel like i'm back in 89 at a rave looking at that...lol

Try going back to 67 to look at it.... the words all turn into golden birds and fly away!

I have a ticket for a 2 acre pit, location is easy for the Tench on here, as it seems the little buggers are constantly fizzing in amoungst the weed beds, there is not much in the way of clear open water on this venue, just those lovely clearings amoungst the dense Canadian pond weed, and its obviously this stuff I am trying to bully the fish away from, which then gives way to hook pulls.

Now I am able to hook them, but loose them on finer tackle when after the Crucians [Float Fishing] but managed to land three/four of the Tench that tried to mugg me a couple of weeks ago on 4lb mainline with 2lb bottoms, in clearer water, but this weekend just gone, those spots have closed up with the weed growth!

But ever the one to improve my catch rates and weights, I have become aware that there are possibly Tench to around 9lb if not doubles in this very shallow pit, which consists of a lot of Canadian pond weed, interspersed with the odd lovely looking clear spots, which is where they are living in.

So I decided to go for them on the float rod which is the new 13' job from Drennan.
I upped my mainline to 6lb Maxima, as I felt 8lb was a little too over gunned, the hook length b/s I went for was around 6lb/7lb clear Shimano silk shock, which apparently is a very good material to use.

For the life of me I couldn't buy a bite from the Tench, even though they were fizzing over the ground bait, so I stopped the feed and just added hook bait samples, which were strawberry flavoured meat cubes of 4mm, and again they went mad for it.

I ended the 10hr session with a load of blinking Rudd, which were intercepting my small hook baits on its descent through the water, and a Pike that put up a decent scrap under the rod tip, but the Tench were still feeding hard when I packed up.

Now when ever I fine down for the crucians I get busted by the Tench, so when I go out all ready for them, I cant buy a bite, what would you guys recommend me to try, bearing in mind I want to persevere with the float method?

Too me it obvious to go for a larger bait, for a start, but felt I got some good pre-occupation going with the smaller foodstuffs.

Anyway I will allow you to advise me, and thanks for taking the time to reply in advance!

Julian.
Here you go Colin, hope this helps lol

Actually it's still bloody horrible..... Anyway, are you sure that your bait isn't hung up in the weed?

You say nothing about your rig? I think that if I were experiencing the same problem, I'd be inclined to start off by fishing just an inch overdepth with a fairly large dropper shot laid on the bottom an inch from the hook to give a quick and positive indication of the bait being picked up - basically a lift method. Another benefit of this rig is that it will tell you very positively if that shot has found its way to the bottom or not by how the float cocks.

Unless the water is heaving with small fish I'd also be inclined to start off by using casters or red maggots which have a far better track record with tench than meat has.

Last edited:
I had a similar experience a few years ago on a venue that sounds quite similar to yours. The way I cracked it, was to feed a tiny amount of small pellets, say 12-20 4mm pellets and fish a pellet over the top. Do that after every fish.

I found, on the venue I was on anyway, that the more bait I put in the more pre occupied then tench became, particularly on smaller particles. And yes, those 4inch rudd snaffled caster/maggot/corn, and were attracted by the sound of a lot of bait going in. In the end it was like if I could 'sneak' a bait past those greedy swines to a tench below that had been alerted by the smell of the pellets, I would get them almost within minutes. I f I fed too heavily, the bubbles would commence and I wouldn't get a proper bite.

I reckon in those small weedy areas, that the tench wont be far away so you wont have to feed loads anyway.

I agree with Chris though regarding setting of the rig.

Last edited:
After a few weeks of 'barbel head' it was nice to have a couple of hours after tench yesterday morning. Had a very dark, almost black, male around the 4lb mark and a female of 4.07, might go after some more tomorrow!

Not really done that much Tench fishing in my time due to being a slave to flowing water, however a friend of mine invited myself and little brother to join him on a small lake he's rediscovered from childhood for an evenings cane bending. A lovely place full of overhanging trees, a couple of islands with a good smattering of lillies. We took a few between us with this lady being my best...

Greenleather.jpg

Needless to say i'll be back!...

Cheers,

Graham

Back