• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

tench fishing

Hi Chris. I've seen ulcers on a few Tench. Also healed over, so I think they should be fine. I wonder if it's something to do with laying torpid on the bottom for long periods under the ice ? Could be the reason for being a bit lean too.
Hope your Tench are fighting fit next time buddy.

Has anyone ever used cooked rice for tench in conjunction with white maggots ?
Just trying to make my bait go further as grubs cost so much. Figure it would be good to bait a swim with in a mix consisting of hemp, pellet and rice and then fish maggot over the top.

Any thoughts.

Duncan.

I haven't but I was thinking something similar but using red dye and using them alongside feedered red maggots, they do cost an arm and a leg, although freezing leftover maggots from sessions is a great help, it's amazing how you soon can accumulate a large amount.

Worth a go though, I'm sure if a shoal of tench got going over a bed of rice with a couple of patches of the real thing wriggling around they would find that very attractive.

Pearl barley is a good cheap bait. takes flavour well and can use on the hook.
Scopex dyed red for tench or worm extract.
cheers , dave
most supermarkets sell it.

Jerry, after 35 yrs (and counting) In the army I have lost touch with my roots in Cheshire but Burton Mere was always a good Tench, Crusian and Carp fishery, although a bit of a hike it is worth making some enquiries cos if it's any way near as good as it used to be, it will be brilliant!

Jerry, after 35 yrs (and counting) In the army I have lost touch with my roots in Cheshire but Burton Mere was always a good Tench, Crusian and Carp fishery, although a bit of a hike it is worth making some enquiries cos if it's any way near as good as it used to be, it will be brilliant!

No fishing on it now - owner sold it to the RSPB.

I had an early start on an old and deep Yorkshire gravel pit this morning a good fortnight earlier than normal. 12 fish between 3lb and 7lb11oz on breadflake in 16' of water.

All fought like demons and good fun on centrepin.

Most I've ever caught in April in one session on this pit. Warm weather seems to have them out early this year.

My tench water has been a struggle so far, and the tincas have unusually been favouring night time feeding - I was pleased to nab this 7.14 at the end of a very long day, minutes before I was due to wind in.

023.jpg

Had a Yorkshire tench to remember yesterday, 8lb 2oz with a taste for red maggots :)

Attachments

• IMG_0180-1.jpg
    IMG_0180-1.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 219
Cheers Stuart, cracking tinca Graham. I had a PB male tench this morning of 6lb 7oz on the ever faithful Sweetcorn, a bait I'm always told has blown, but never stops producing for me!

some cracking fish lads

not much tenching around donny though

i have to travel

some great tench there lads,
personally have not had a fish over 4lbs yet, still five weeks before i can go proper fishing:)

Finally! Been struggling for the tench this year after a good start in early April, yesterday I managed my first one since April 14th, a 5lb female that turned up in a bag of decent roach.

a picture of a 10lb 10oz tench taken from a lea valley gravel pit
at 12.30 last night.

Attachments

• SDC10871.jpg
    SDC10871.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 229
Back