• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

tench fishing

17' rods, my God, whatever next.

Aye, would probably have never thought about buying one but was fortunate enough to win it a few years ago. Turns out to be perfect for the job described previously.

Got one of those 18-20' rods somewhere which I used for stick float fishing on the deep sections of the R.Hull. It was so out of balance at 20' that it gave me backache after a couple of hours!

Apologies if this is already common knowledge, but if anyone is in need of a new weed rake for the Spring, I have found the absolutely perfect component part. After searching around a few garden centres and DIY stores, I stumbled across this:

www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=695287

The red plastic part comes off easily to reveal a second hole on the stainless steel arm, which is absolutely ideal for attaching two back to back. They go together as flush as you like too, so they really are perfect.

A couple of jubilee clips, some garden wire, a bit of tape oh and some rope (would be a shame to not be able to retrieve it after so much effort :D ) and it's job done! :)

Rake.jpg

Stu

I have an industrial version of the rake and its mahoosive.

Spring tench campaign begins tomorrow evening, getting down to the lake in readiness for a morning start on saturday, can't wait. Hemp has been prepared, hordes of dead maggots have been kept from leftover trotting sessions and all my gear nice and shiny for the spring...shame work will get in the way tomorrow!

Weather looks promising for the weekend too, tinca tinca time.

My first serious tench session of the year today resulted in 3 6lb'ers, topped by a new PB of 6.14, also had a 3.08 male.

Nice Steve, will be doing a bit of tenching this year.
Was that 'by the church';) going to give that place a good go.

Anybody point me in the direction of some day ticket (or cheap club book) Tench fishing in the Berks/Bucks area? I'd really love to do some float fishing for them. All the waters that i know of locally only seem to respond to 'carp tactics'.

PM if preferred.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve, Marlow AC is worth a look, and close to you aswell. Had some nice tench last season on Spade Oak. There's very few carp in there so they seem to prefer traditional baits. The club have some other nice waters too.
Cheers
Paul

Just got back from a 2 day session which ended completely biteless. I arrived confident of a few fish, especially with it warming up with a nice south westerly blowing but apart from a few liners in the night it was really quiet - I didn't even see any rolling at dawn and dusk.

Lovely being out in the sun though!

Had my first tench session of the year on saturday and it produced my first two tincas of the season - both about 5lb and very welcome indeed!

Just need to find myself a few larger specimens now...

Steve, Marlow AC is worth a look, and close to you aswell. Had some nice tench last season on Spade Oak. There's very few carp in there so they seem to prefer traditional baits. The club have some other nice waters too.
Cheers
Paul

Cheers Paul,
i'll check it out. Margin floatfishing?

Steve

Had my first five Tench of the year from a local farm pond earlier today - forgot how hard they fight!

20110406-112751.jpg

Cheers
Adam

does anybody know of any good tench fishing spots in the cheshire area, preferably day ticket?
cheers
jerry

Had my first 4 tincas of the season at the weekend on a Colne Valley water, although not quite the size I had in mind were very welcome, although a 6lb male tench was pleasing.

More worrying though was the condition of the 3 females I caught. They were all in very poor condition, and the smallest I've had from the water in the last few years. They all also had a nasty ulcer under their mouths as well as being really lean and ragged - has anyone seen anything similar themselves, particularly the ulcers?

Last edited:
Back