• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

tench fishing

Unfortunately I've not done nearly as much tenching as I would have liked this year, and with my favourite tench water observing the close season I have only just got round to fishing for them after the rivers grabbed me for a few weeks! Had this lovely spawned out PB of 8lb on maggots, which like most of my fish fish came minutes after recasting - it's amazing how the crash of the feeder will draw in the tincas, one time I hadn't even set the baitrunner or bobbin before roaring off.

http://i33.tinypic.com/4rcoqd.jpg

Tench thread TTT! :)

I know it's too early, but this is where my mind turns as soon as the river season finishes.

Anyone else planning their spring tench campaign?

My Tench fishing starts this weekend! Yes i know, it's early and unlikely, especially as it's dipping below zero on friday and saturday night, but i have a pond in mind that my attentions will be given to until June!

My Tench fishing starts this weekend! Yes i know, it's early and unlikely, especially as it's dipping below zero on friday and saturday night, but i have a pond in mind that my attentions will be given to until June!

Feeding windows maybe small but I'd expect them to be feeding at present. Doubtful they'll be in peak condition but if you're after sport and not fussed about pounds and ounces, then go for it; red maggots and redworms would be my bait choice.

That said I'm starting this years stillwater fishing chasing puddle-pigs tomorrow. The tench can wait a month or so.

Puddle-pigs from the same venue as last year, Colin? If so, I'm probably going to have a few early tench sessions down there, because I seem to remember that quite a few decent tincas showed early last year.

I know what you mean! In reality, i nearly always have elaborate plans for tackling numerous species, but then work always manages to find one way or another to disrupt them...

And work, DIY, family commitments etc. shall have no disruption whatsoever on my fishing this weekend, for a change. I shall be fishing, for whatever comes along, on the pits that you and I were recently speaking about, Tim. I believe Saturday is going to be a nice, warm day. I'm look forward to it...

I'm very much looking forward to hopefully catching some tench this year. I very rarely fish stillwaters but would love to have a crack at a few more species, particularly Tench. I've only ever caught a 4lber from Harris Lake Marsh Farm.
I've been in the tackle shop picking up floats and feeders and getting very excited about it. :) No doubt will be hot on the heels of this thread when it picks up, gathering the info and will probably have many questions to come also :)
Chris

Try 8lb line-method feeder with groundbait or softened pellets- 10 mm fruity type boilie on a 4in 8lb fluoro hooklink size 14 hook or 12 for 2 baits..
geoff

Can't wait to get out after the tincas, the lake I plan to fish has altered it's close season and now will be fishable from Apr 1 rather than the traditional June 16th, so looking forward to having a determined assault on our green little friends. I love tench fishing, they seem to rewrite all the rules as they go along, but that headscratching they inevitably lead you to doing is probably why it is one of my favourite species to target.

I fish a big and daunting Yorkshire gravel pit in May every year, crystal clear and 15 feet of water at the rod tip. Lends itself to floatfishing the lift method with breadflake my favourite bait. They usually only want to know at dawn for an hour or two so early starts the order of the day. Well worth it though with fish nudging 9lb and surely only a matter of time before a 10 comes out if it hasn't already.

Hardly ever see another angler as turning up after breakfast and slamming car doors usually results in a blank and a declaration that there's 'nowt in there'.

I have to ask Gavin, how on earth do you fish the lift in 15ft+ of water. Wind, drift, and casting must be a nightmare. I suspect the answer might be one of those self cocking. self depth finding, self locking floats that I have never owned, and would not know how to use if I did. Must know the answer please.
Shaun of the dead.

Hi Shaun,

No casting, I drop in at the rod tip (17' Middy carp waggler rod), normally fish a 1.2gr waggler with a couple of small locking shot and an AAA shot about 4" from the hook. Rod tip to float is usually less than a couple of feet unless I see fizzing a bit further out and the rod tip is submerged. Drift not normally an issue but as my favoured peg is in the south-west corner of the pit it is nearly always sheltered anyway.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Back