• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

somerley estate

Exactly, If they only lose 300 members I reckon there in the s***. I reckon they are more likely to lose 500+ members.
It has been mentioned that the rent on Somerley costs as much as all their other waters put together. I doubt if their basic adult membership will drop from £160 to £80 will it????

They will still have two small ponds at Ibsley for the next 65 years,which they deemed to be more important to the club than the rest of somerley fishing.All in all a right proper F--- Up.It was their way or no way. Enough said. Jamie

John,

I, like you, re-joined in Dec knowing that I would still get another season out of both Somerley and the rest of the club waters, including the Stour and some good still waters which other members who have posted clearly do not think warrant their time:(.

This will at least give me time to see how things unfold before I decide whether to re-join at the end of this year;).

As you know John I am also very proud to be a member of RDAA and fish the upper and middle Avon as well as the Stour on that book but am an all round angler and enjoy fishing other waters (which CAC still have a reasonable amount). Indeed If RDAA had reasonable Tench, Perch and other species fisheries that were not full of Bivvies (other than speci carp lakes) I would probably not even have joined CAC. That said, Somerley estate was a factor and I do enjoy fishing the estate waters also.

Either way gents if CAC survive with all remaining waters and improve them as stated at the meeting, I will be re-joining;)

Last edited:
Keith,
I rejoined in December hoping that I will have 12 months fishing on Somerley.
With the club paying for Somerley month by month that remains to be seen.
Lets hope so.
All the best.
John.

John,

Either way gents if CAC survive with all remaining waters and improve them as stated at the meeting, I will be re-joining;)

Keith,

But how much will you be prepared to pay for that ticket? If the Club loses
500+ members and is committed to improving its remaining waters, the subs could remain at £160 p.a. or even more. Does that represent value to you compared to the Ringwood book?

Dave

I think the club will (plough) any savings they make on somerley in to lakes and not rivers.How many stretches of rivers have they given up or lost over the last number of years.The premier club in the south east boast the clubs home page don't make me laugh.Jamie

Jamie,

Given that the waters that they own are primarily lakes (Hucklesbrook, Breach, Holtwood & Wedgehill), the only river stretches owned being the Ringwood Fishery, Highmead (which is inaccessible and hasn't been fished for years!) and Horseport, they are bound to focus on the still waters. Still can't see where this money is coming from though with a sizeable overdraft at the bank, as well as the remaining rents to pay (including £12k p.a. for Spinnaker, over £10k p.a., I believe, for Manor Farm and about £17k p.a for Winkton). I think that they will struggle to break even.

Dave

Can anybody advise if Somerley is going to be fishable on day tickets this coming season please?

Bill

Nothing has changed yet, day tickets for lifelands and above Ibsley bridge are still available from local tackle shops.

Where can you park for lifelands now.:(

Parking is still off the slip road in the locked clearing as far as I know David.
Combination code from Ringwood tackle shops.
Should be ok untill end of December unless the club decide to jetison Somerley beforehand.:(
dt.
Chris,..I've heard no news about future Somerley syndicate to date,..some of the local lads may be of more help. I did'nt expect any news until late autumn.
dt.:)

As far as I understand the owners of the land never owned up and the interested parties i.e the Electricity company and the CAC decided they would share the ground.The understanding was CAC would move out temporarily if the Electric company needed space when they do any engineering work on their land.

Only rumours of Somerley intentions at the moment.They are river divided into 2 sections,above and below Ellingham bridge with a sum of £350 each section.Only rumours I may add.

Parking is still off the slip road in the locked clearing as far as I know David.
Combination code from Ringwood tackle shops.
Should be ok untill end of December unless the club decide to jetison Somerley beforehand.:(
dt.
Chris,..I've heard no news about future Somerley syndicate to date,..some of the local lads may be of more help. I did'nt expect any news until late autumn.
dt.:)
Is that season only or day ticket, It's been a long while since i was there, i used to back my car in the gap next to the power station..lol, wasn't the slip parking stopped because of the gypsys.

Only rumours of Somerley intentions at the moment.They are river divided into 2 sections,above and below Ellingham bridge with a sum of £350 each section.Only rumours I may add.

Would be interested to know where that rumor came from Graham, £700 for what was on a CAC book for £150.
I've been told from a rather good source, £250 plus VAT.
Longford, I believe is approaching £600. Bicton about £220 and Hale about £175 give or take. £700 for Somerley seems an incredible amount.

Regards John

Wow!!:eek:
The wife is going to take some convincing with that one!
Hope John Mc's figure is nearer the mark.

Back