• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

somerley estate

Just to correct myself, as the date is the 5th March and not the 7th, as I originally posted, the petitions will need to be handed in tomorrow morning (the office closes at midday on Tuesdays). If they are handed in, I would recommend that a receipt is obtained from Lorraine acknowledging the safe receipt of the request so that there can be no dispute about the 28 day deadline.

Dave

Hi Dave,
I'm not sure I agree. The meeting that the committee have arranged for March 5th is not the EGM that the members are currently gathering signatures for. The March 5th meeting is just a red herring and in my opinion should be ignored.

I would suggest continueing to gather the signatures and submit the request for an EGM at our convenience.

all the best,
Tim

Agreed Tim,
I put my request in the post to A/Angling after the March meeting was flagged up,..we don't need to be frogmarched reg. dates or agendas.

Tim/Dave,

I accept what you say but these meetings are costly to organise (room hire, printing and posting notice to the membership etc) and in its current straitened circumstances the Club can't afford one meeting, let alone two! I would suggest that if an EGM/SGM is called, it should be in place of the meeting that the Committee intend to organise, but that would mean that the requisition for the EGM would have to be submitted at the earliest opportunity so that the meeting on 5 March can be postponed/cancelled.

Dave

Hi Dave,
you have detailed precisely why I'm convinced that the committee organised "special" meeting is a red herring.

If the members are unable to gather the 60 signatures required, then the meeting SHOULD NOT be called because of the costs involved.

In this instance I believe that the rules must be strictly adhered to.

Tim

My membership has just lapsed and I wont be rejoining!

My membership has just lapsed and I wont be rejoining!

I was thinking the same re my Tewkesbury Popular Angling ticket, their waters seem to be always flooded, and then I thought, what if we all jumped ship?

There would be no local Angling Club.

This thread is dragging on and on, there must be enough of you to chip in and lease the stretch if you think it is worth it.

I was thinking the same re my Tewkesbury Popular Angling ticket, their waters seem to be always flooded, and then I thought, what if we all jumped ship?

There would be no local Angling Club.

This thread is dragging on and on, there must be enough of you to chip in and lease the stretch if you think it is worth it.

And where might you draw any similarity between that and what's happened here?

Damian

Its not cheap Neil

I'm sure it's not Neil, but what a beautiful stretch, I have never had the chance to fish there, although always took time on the way back from the sea-side to stop and look at this beautiful river. :)

As far as potential cost of the lease, well I guess the Landowner would have to be sensible with any new terms,given the reduced catch returns, not sure if exclusive Salmon rights would be an option would they? If not, any new syndicate of a reasonable membership might find it feasible, and at least will get perhaps enjoy a more 'hands on' management style, rather than the rather laboured style that seems to inflict most angling committee's

Take away all the politics, bottom line is without any membership there is no club.

Seems to much the same be it Tewkesbury or Christchurch.

And all the other clubs you belong to on account of offering them your loyal support Neil, even if you don't fish any of their waters!

Damian,

Are you implying that having joined a club, you should actually fish their waters.....?!?!?! Now that's where I've been going wrong!

But, seriously, how many actually get real value from their club memberships? I know I don't with my limited number of outings a year but one does have a sense of pride and belonging with some clubs whereas others............ Bottom line, I guess, is that it does give you a varied selection of waters to fish that you can become familiar with over time and, particularly so far as river fishing is concerned, offers access to stretches that are just not available to day ticket anglers.

Dave

And all the other clubs you belong to on account of offering them your loyal support Neil, even if you don't fish any of their waters!

Well as far as the couple of clubs I belong to that are threatened by closure I will continue to support irrespective of how many times I fish them. In fact because of the floods I have hardly been able to fish them at all this season, but to be fair they are reasonable in cost but have limited waters too.

Christchurch at least does have some good stretches of the Avon , and even without this stretch it is a very special ticket and I guess you might be seen as being in a fortunate position, although not cheap I guess.

I have looked on the Christchurch web site, and it does seem there was some apathy by the members in not attending the meetings discussing the Estate, however attitudes have changed with the impending loss of the lease, pretty much mirrors what other Clubs have to contend with.

I tried to see how much the membership is, but was unable to, so how much is it?

Damian,

Are you implying that having joined a club, you should actually fish their waters.....?!?!?! Now that's where I've been going wrong!

But, seriously, how many actually get real value from their club memberships? I know I don't with my limited number of outings a year but one does have a sense of pride and belonging with some clubs whereas others............ Bottom line, I guess, is that it does give you a varied selection of waters to fish that you can become familiar with over time and, particularly so far as river fishing is concerned, offers access to stretches that are just not available to day ticket anglers.

Dave

No not me!! However if I gave up on one particular membership I might find it difficult to rejoin, it took me all of 9 years to get the ticket. :)

I tried to see how much the membership is, but was unable to, so how much is it?

Full Membership – £160 + £15 Joining Fee
Junior Membership (12 – 18)* – £60
Concessionary Membership** – £110 + £15 Joining Fee
Disabled Membership*** – £110 + £15 Joining Fee

Full Membership – £160 + £15 Joining Fee
Junior Membership (12 – 18)* – £60
Concessionary Membership** – £110 + £15 Joining Fee
Disabled Membership*** – £110 + £15 Joining Fee

It's a fair whack, but it is God's country :)

Thanks for posting it up Nigel.

Neil,most of CAC avon waters are day ticket stretches available from local tackle shops so are not exclusive to members,the horseport fishery has only 4 swims.I have just left this club after the best part of 20 yrs as I feel the committee have their own agenda on how the club is run and basically don't give a toss for the river anglers as the amount of river fishing lost or given up over the past few years is a joke.All the best Jamie

Neil,most of CAC avon waters are day ticket stretches available from local tackle shops so are not exclusive to members,the horseport fishery has only 4 swims.I have just left this club after the best part of 20 yrs as I feel the committee have their own agenda on how the club is run and basically don't give a toss for the river anglers as the amount of river fishing lost or given up over he past few years is a joke.All the best Jamie
Hi Jamie,

Well that's a sad state of affairs, I don't thing there is much more traumatic things in life to us anglers in seeing the demise of our club, especially after so many years of fantastic times spent on the river bank.

My local Wye is suffering from a similar fate, whereby 'ordinary' clubs are losing out to the Wye and Usk takeover, they will not rest until they have secured every inch of the Wye thus putting it financially out of reach to most.

The way things are going our rivers are being squeezed in all directions, even the rivers that have been emptied of Barbel are still considered a good opportunity for the greedy to profit, I fully understand your plight.

Back