• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

somerley estate

Guess what................. It seems I've had my forums access taken from me yet again!!!!!!
I only posted once today and it was only a few words
:eek:

Full Membership – £160 + £15 Joining Fee
Junior Membership (12 – 18)* – £60
Concessionary Membership** – £110 + £15 Joining Fee
Disabled Membership*** – £110 + £15 Joining Fee

Hi Nigel
dont forget the individual night permits for the lakes ranging from £3.50 to £7.50 a night or
the new annual night permit for 1 lake @ £80 or
the new third rod permit (cant recall exact amount but £30 i think) or
the new annual river night permit @ £30 or
the annual non fishing guest charge @£12 (i think)

there are also game fishing extras that i cant remember the amounts of (although they have been hit with recent extra costs if my memory serves me correctly)

So it can cost a lot more to fish CAC than just the full permit depending on where and how you fish.

John you are just a trouble maker :)

Neil

Its obviously frustrating for those concerned however 6 or 7 years ago i walked round Somerley fairly regularly and you would hardy see another angler every time!

With the ringwood permit you have far more options to fish in the area and sad as it is people vote with their feet and possibly why memberships are down, still sad to see the downfall of a club in this way....

Guess what................. It seems I've had my forums access taken from me yet again!!!!!!
I only posted once today and it was only a few words
:eek:

They never had many forum members anyway, but they can't have many left now!!! Why listen to your members when you can just excommunicate them?!?! In fact, wny bother with a forum at all if nobody is allowed to say anything even vaguely critical on it?!?!

Dave

Well now you have left Dave, the section 'question's for committee' may as well be scrubbed!!!

Sent you a pm via FB

I have lost my CAC forum access as well.I don't think I will bother again as my ticket runs out in May.Not having my money for a couple of duck ponds and a bit of Avon.

Tim,

Still no sign of the 'dossier' though and there's only just over a week to go. We don't even know where the meeting is being held yet either!

Dave

Are they not supposed to write/email ALL members:(

To date I have received no communication from the club outlining the current and/or future position re Somerley or indeed any of our waters and future (if indeed we have one).

In light of the fact that my friend is considering membership how should I advise:confused:??

Sensible recommendations gratefully accepted;);)

Last edited:
Keith,

Given the waters that the club has lost (its Avon waters are a pale shadow of its former embarrassment of riches, particularly on the middle/lower river, while Manor Farm is the only stretch it now controls on the Stour below Longham - the Golf Course is being released to pay for the opposite bank), I think it is very hard to justify joining Christchurch when Ringwood has such a good book of waters, especially on the Stour, but also including the Royalty, of course.

Ringwood is also a much better run club with a progressive Committee and the financial clout to enhance and add to its existing waters, and the cost is much the same (unless you want to night fish Rockford!).

A 'no brainer' in my opinion.

Dave

Anyone present at the clubs silly meeting last week? Anything of note decided upon?

Damian, Dave,

I was at said meeting and based on the information/correspondence made available concerning the negotiations re Somerley from the last two years, I formed the opinion that the committee were "between a rock and a hard place" (the new rent was £115,000!!!) and I feel that the estate were intending to take the fishing back in house anyway.
I also left with the opinion that despite the water losses over the last few years CAC still have a very strong portfolio and since they have decided to plough the funds that would have been spent on Somerley (£80,000) into improvement of the remaining waters that I will be remaining with them at least until I see if things improve as planned.
I would also add that I am a long term member of RDAA and will remain loyal to that excellent club regardless;)

Cheers Keith.
'A very strong portfolio'? Not an Avon angler then?

Keith,

They may still have what appears to be a relatively attractive book of waters, but can they afford to keep them? I understand that their working assumption is that they will lose 300 members because of the loss of the Somerley waters; that is a very optimistic assumption in my opinion. They will not only lose the coarse anglers that joined just to fish the river, but also the salmon rods, some of the carp boys who will not appreciate the limited fishing left for them and, potentially, those trout anglers that preferred Hamer to Whitesheet.

Don't forget also that they will be losing the income that the Somerley waters generated, including day and night tickets on Meadow, night tickets on Mockbeggar, the trout tickets on Hamer and guest tickets. All in all, I can't see where the money is coming from to finance the planned maintenance works on the remaining waters, unless they have agreed an even larger overdaft/loan with the Bank.

The Club is in terminal decline and will shrink further over the coming years.

Dave

Back