• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

somerley estate

Is that season only or day ticket, It's been a long while since i was there, i used to back my car in the gap next to the power station..lol, wasn't the slip parking stopped because of the gypsys.

David,..the clearing is next to the sub station and has a locked 5 bar gate.
A few dedicated club members did a great job with a brushcutter last year and there is parking for approx. 8 or 9 cars if people park sensibly.
The old carpark by the weir is no longer available as the highways agency -who own that parcel of land- don't want a repetition of the traveller invasion we had a while back.
Yes, Lifelands is still day ticket until the clubs notice to quit expires at the end of the year.:(
dt

Would be interested to know where that rumor came from Graham, £700 for what was on a CAC book for £150.
I've been told from a rather good source, £250 plus VAT.
Longford, I believe is approaching £600. Bicton about £220 and Hale about £175 give or take. £700 for Somerley seems an incredible amount.

Regards John

Only a bankside rumour John we may hear more on Wednesday.

David,..the clearing is next to the sub station and has a locked 5 bar gate.
A few dedicated club members did a great job with a brushcutter last year and there is parking for approx. 8 or 9 cars if people park sensibly.
The old carpark by the weir is no longer available as the highways agency -who own that parcel of land- don't want a repetition of the traveller invasion we had a while back.
Yes, Lifelands is still day ticket until the clubs notice to quit expires at the end of the year.:(
dt

Will it go free after this date i wonder.

CAC deluded

I sent the club a e-mail asking if they would be lowering the membership fee with the loss of somerley at the end of dec/jan and bearing in mind I would not be joining until July, got a lovely reply saying they have no intentions of dropping the fee,I'm wondering if they are flouting the advertisement law by selling memberships for 12 months fishing when on thier prime waters you will only have 7 months at best.This probably sounds petty to some but if they want to compete with ringwood club IMO they would have to half the cost of a club ticket.With the loss of somerley the ringwood ticket knocks spots off of CAC book.regarding somerley syndicate I cannot see them charging £700 it's a lovely venue but with a low population of fish,I've put my name down for the syndicate and hopefully it will be no where near that amount.Anyway chaps good luck for the new season.Jamie

Not petty at all Jamie.
It was stated by the chairman (whom I believe is 'standing down' yet again) at the general meeting back in January that what the club paid for Somerley equalled the total of the leases of all the other waters put together.
You would have expected that not paying out £115,000 per year that the membership price would have dropped some.
I guess that the first priority though is to 'get out of the red' and pay off the debt without selling any assets.
Graham, I don't think you will find anything out regarding the Somerley syndicate on Wednesday. The club didn't seem to know what was happening with the estate when it was on its books long term so they certainly wont know now.

Regards John

Hello John hope your well mate,I don't think CAC committee will see the true loss off membership numbers until this coming dec/jan and as they pay for somerley monthly I can't see them getting out of the red they definitely don't come across as wanting to keep as many members as possible with thier negative attitude to river fishing.what a shame the captain is deserting a sinking ship,they have sold the members down the river,anyway good luck for the coming season I still don't know what I will be doing yet but if I'm down end of July will catch up with you mate.Jamie

It was stated by the chairman (whom I believe is 'standing down' yet again) at the general meeting back in January that what the club paid for Somerley equalled the total of the leases of all the other waters put together.
You would have expected that not paying out £115,000 per year that the membership price would have dropped some.
I guess that the first priority though is to 'get out of the red' and pay off the debt without selling any assets.

Regards John

John,

Ian May standing down again.......pressure of work is it (again!) or perhaps mission accomplished.........!?!?!?

Not surprised that the subs have stayed the same as although Somerley cost well in excess of £100k, it pretty much broke even when you considered the income it brought in (including memberships). So with a reduced membership and the other leased waters still to pay for, quite apart from the need to reduce the burgeoning overdraft (if you attend the AGM on Wednesday, do let us know what the deficit was at the end of 2013), it is even possible that the subs might have to be increased next year, although that would be commercial suicide, in my opinion.

A sad situation and one which the Committee, and especially the Chairman, should be ashamed of.

Dave

Hello John hope your well mate,I don't think CAC committee will see the true loss off membership numbers until this coming dec/jan
Hi yer Jamie,
I think the tally of lost members due to the loss of Somerley will take another 18 months or so to bottom out as there will be some, like myself who will have to rejoin this season -August in my case-, to allow me to fish the estate during my weeks Ringwood trip in September.
Therefore it will be a year this August before I bail out:(
That is of course all dependant on the club not dropping the fishery beforehand!
All the best
dt;)

Hi Dave,it really is a joke having to pay a years subs for a few months fishing,I still can't get my head round it how things have gone,I'm suppose to be going down there end of July and not sure whether to buy a new membership plus 15.00 joining fee not bad after 20 years in club or just buy guest tickets.Anyway have you decided to move down the avon if you have any chance of you buying a B and B. All the best for the new season. Jamie

Top man Dave,it would be my dream to move down to ringwood when the time was right but (her indoors) is having none of it.All the best Jamie

Phil,I will educate her,if she does not conform I will part ex for a younger slimmer model,mind you she could be thinking the same,all the best for the coming season.Jamie

A little birdie tells me that there could be some very disappointed anglers come Monday!

Put it this way...it might be a good idea to have a plan B venue in mind!!!

Good Luck

Tim, as you're posting on the Somerley Estate thread, are you insinuating that there will be restrictions we are not aware of?

Thanks for the update on phone Tim.
I am not permitted to access the CAC forums as the committee took that from me. Has anything been said on forums regarding this?
I do know that this thread is being watched by certain committee members so I ask them now to contact me please and let me know before rumours get round and get twisted. You don't want things posted on here that may be incorrect.
You know who you are pick up the phone and lets have a chat.
My number is 07983562067.
My email is Johnmcgough65@aol.com.
It's good to talk. I've had the decency to post my personal details on here. How about giving me a ring?

Regards John

Back