• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

somerley estate

Noticed today that any reference to Somerley venues other than the trout stream and pools at Ibsley have been deleted from the website.
dt.

Dave,

Surprised it took that long as the new syndicates started on the 1st. Last I heard, CAC were supposed to be negotiating for the surrender of the Ibsley Island lease back to the Estate, as this does not include the fishing on the East bank of the main river, so it may not be long before the Trout Stream and Pools are taken off the site as well.

Dave

Hi Dave
Hope you are keeping well. I think it is a case of watch this space.
There are a few new faces on the committee who are trying their best to turn the tide for the club and I applaud their efforts and really hope they can make their mark, only time will tell.
You don't have to remind me when the syndicates kicked in, I'm currently up to my eyes with decorating and chomping at the bit to get out on Somerley!
All the best
Dave T:)

Getting any closer to moving down yet Dave.? The nipper and I were on Somerley last Sunday around the Ibsley area. Saw more anglers that day than ever before. I suppose one has to justify the increased expense.
Hope to see you later this year.

Hi Roger,
Well, I re homed the koi a few weeks ago ( legitimately I should add! ) and have broken down the pond and made good which was a real sad occasion.
The house goes on the market as soon as I get all this bl##dy decorating done, early April is the target.
Not looking forward to the stress, but it will be worth it.
The traffic round here is diabolical and although I took early retirement it is impossible to drive to my club waters. This morning the M25 and M23 were gridlocked snarling up all the local A roads,.. a common scenario round here.
I can't wait to be local to the Avon.
Regarding the estate syndicate, it will be interesting to see if the fishing becomes harder with the inevitable extra rods on the water.
These things even out and it will take a season or two to access I guess.
All the best
Dave::)
Ps ... This retirement lark is not all its cracked up to be, as well as struggling to get through weekday traffic to get to the riverbank it's 'er indoors getting on my case to attend to all the 'little jobs' that have aggravated her over time.
I fixed a bedroom mantelpiece the other day in preparation for the sale, and instead of gratitude I get ' do you realise that it's taken you 30 years to fix that! " You just can't win, women eh..

Traffic's bad everywhere Dave, even in Ringwood. Once you're down here it can take all of 5 - 10 minutes to get on the bank. Murder isn't it.

Theres some nice houses near Winkton I've been looking at.

I just scrape into the over 55's.........yeah!

Dave. I have always found a bit of deafness can help...

Graham

I mustn't complain Graham, she's always accepted being a fishing widow, and is happy for us to move to my fishing mecca,.... Perhaps she just doesn't like me in the house!!:eek:;)

Hi Roger,
Well, I re homed the koi a few weeks ago ( legitimately I should add! ) and have broken down the pond and made good which was a real sad occasion.
The house goes on the market as soon as I get all this bl##dy decorating done, early April is the target.
Not looking forward to the stress, but it will be worth it.
The traffic round here is diabolical and although I took early retirement it is impossible to drive to my club waters. This morning the M25 and M23 were gridlocked snarling up all the local A roads,.. a common scenario round here.
I can't wait to be local to the Avon.
Regarding the estate syndicate, it will be interesting to see if the fishing becomes harder with the inevitable extra rods on the water.
These things even out and it will take a season or two to access I guess.
All the best
Dave::)
Ps ... This retirement lark is not all its cracked up to be, as well as struggling to get through weekday traffic to get to the riverbank it's 'er indoors getting on my case to attend to all the 'little jobs' that have aggravated her over time.
I fixed a bedroom mantelpiece the other day in preparation for the sale, and instead of gratitude I get ' do you realise that it's taken you 30 years to fix that! " You just can't win, women eh..

Meanwhile back on the river.

Hugo

Or the excitement of living nearby Hugo:p

Good luck on the move Dave. I need to decide.
Wye severn teme warks avon.......with lots spenders. .

Or Hants Avon? With not so much.

Traffic's bad everywhere Dave, even in Ringwood. Once you're down here it can take all of 5 - 10 minutes to get on the bank. Murder isn't it.

I realise you jest Roger, but the A31 is pretty bad both through the forest and at Ringwood. Personally, I feel pretty much the whole south of the country is generally congested. Someone need not fart and you have a jam!

Hi Dave
You don't have to remind me when the syndicates kicked in, I'm currently up to my eyes with decorating and chomping at the bit to get out on Somerley!
All the best
Dave T:)

Dave,

Yes, I am off the rat poison now and all seems to be okay. Good luck with your house sale and move - hope it comes in time for the new season when I hope to see you on the banks at Somerley.

The traffic round here can be pretty bad too and as Damian said the A31 across the Forest can be a real nightmare at times... However, if you can keep off the major roads, it's usually okay. Some very nice riverside properties at Avon Castle, if your budget extends that far (£3m+!!!) and I alway like the look of the big house next to the main carrier at Britford, although that has never been on the market as far as I am aware.

I'm sure you'll find something to suit within a reasonable radius of Ellingham.

Good luck and see you on the Estate next season!

Dave

Glad to hear your on the mend Dave, and look forward to meeting up on Somerley.
I agree that the A31 can be a sod sometimes and I hope to avoid it. As has been said, most major road arteries in the southeast are on a knife edge.
On Wednesday I went to the Woking agm which is a 25 mile trip using the M25 and A3. Got there without too much trouble, but on the return trip the maintenance crews had started work closing the M25 access and part of the A3 leading to a nightmare trip home.
Now you can argue with some justification that these are just boring and irrelevant gripes, but road congestion in this neck of the woods is having a significant impact on club's membership with more and more anglers opting to fish locally and cut down on their out of town permits.
I certainly wouldn't have continued fishing Somerley unless I intended to live locally,.. perhaps it's just an age thing, but sitting in the motor for hours when I could be fishing has lost its appeal.
All the best
Dave T

Back