• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

guiding day with matt hayes

Status
Not open for further replies.
'Ere ,this Matt Hayes is popular geeze .

Got you boys talking .:)

For those of you that dont know him personally,and only see what's on here in a negative slant,for the record he is really nice bloke,a bloody good angler,and is a great Ambassador for our sport,and is a massive draw at the fishing shows I go to with Korum.

What is that Argentian Dwarf paid for prancing around with a scarf on shouting the odds at Manchester City ,or that useless ,granny bashing scouser who cannot hit a barn door with a beach ball ?

Makes Matt the bargain of the century ,in my book .

Pons

Anyone connected to the fishing industry for their own gain are worst than estate agents always trying to ramp it up and justify the charges :)

Tony

'Ere ,this Matt Hayes is popular geeze .

Got you boys talking .:)

For those of you that dont know him personally,and only see what's on here in a negative slant,for the record he is really nice bloke,a bloody good angler,and is a great Ambassador for our sport,and is a massive draw at the fishing shows I go to with Korum.

What is that Argentian Dwarf paid for prancing around with a scarf on shouting the odds at Manchester City ,or that useless ,granny bashing scouser who cannot hit a barn door with a beach ball ?

Makes Matt the bargain of the century ,in my book .

Pons

Mr Ponsford, please explain the above comment which i find offensive. A scouser is a person born in Liverpool.

Matty

David, not singling you out to have a pop, but you raise a couple of interesting points.

First and foremost, I must admit to letting out a rather hearty guffaw when I read about the £500.00 daily fee. Firstly that someone would try and charge so much, secondly that anyone would consider paying it. But as you say, if he can get away with it....

Personally, if I was going to pay for a guiding day then I'd rather have a day out with an equally skilled, if slightly less known angler, a new harrison rod, reel, curry and ****-up afterwards, cab-ride home and some change. Each to his own.

The point you make about Matt's P.B's, Woody Allen once famously said that 90% of succes is just showing up. And let's be honest Matt shows up an aweful lot. Yes, he is a very good angler and he certainly does know his onions, but if most anglers on this site had access to the waters he fishes, and the time he has to fish them, then I'd bet not too many of us would be that far behind.

There is one last point I'll make with regards to TV anglers in general. One very well known angler fished a day-ticket venue once in Surrey for an episode of his long running series. On the program in question he caught endless fish and made the place look ridiculously easy. I happened to fish the same venue some years after, only to find the area he fished was out of bounds to anglers and had a cafe situated in the corner he fished — the fish abviously hanging around in this corner for the many scraps and leftovers thrown in by the cafe's patrons. I once held this angler in resonably high esteem. Not so, after this. T'is the reason why I am slightly sceptical of the "celebrity angler".

Haydn lots of good points. I'm not sure what the process is of becoming a celebrity angler, does it start by logging catches in the Angling Times on a regular basis? Apart from catching some decent fish and letting the World know about it, something else is needed. The guide needs to be no shrinking violet and would probably require an ego as fat as their wallet. This is not aimed at those modest anglers who have made a minimal charge to cover expenses etc. Guiding is nothing new and guides used to be called ghillies where they would put a "nice but dim" toff on to a good fish. I appreciate that you don't have to avail yourself to a guide's services. Most good anglers, who have benefited from advice on the way, just wouldn't have the brass neck to go dipping someone's wallet.

Anyone connected to the fishing industry for their own gain are worst than estate agents always trying to ramp it up and justify the charges :)

Tony

:confused: Isn't everyone connected to the fishing industry in it for their own gain? It is a job after all. There wouldn't be much of an industry if everyone involved worked purely on volunteer, non profit making basis. Are you the kind of angler who treats his local tackle shop like a public service rather than a business?

whats wrong with joe public? after all its joe public who put these people where they are.
dont get me wrong ive watched his shows and loved em especially the great rod race he did with mick brown but £500 for a few hrs fishing is a bit extortionate even if you can afford it.
cheers
jerry

steve your probably one of the most well known and respected people in barbel land but i bet you wouldnt charge such an extortionate rate
don't see the problem here, take it or leave it.

:confused: Isn't everyone connected to the fishing industry in it for their own gain? It is a job after all. There wouldn't be much of an industry if everyone involved worked purely on volunteer, non profit making basis. Are you the kind of angler who treats his local tackle shop like a public service rather than a business?

Was refering to those people who post on this thread who are more than likely connected in a commercial sense, so accept my apology for not wording it a bit different.

Some people work for less in a week than the figures being bounded about £500, £750, £1,000. Jokers imo, for a bit fishing.

Last edited:
Mr Ponsford, please explain the above comment which i find offensive. A scouser is a person born in Liverpool.

"Granny bashing Scouser"

Well Mr Funcks ,think you will find Mr Rooney fits that tag ,born Croxteth ,Liverpool if you want to be formal ,which apparently you do .

Abandoned his scouse mates at Everton for the lure of the lucre at Man Utd ,and now cannot score anywhere .

What I find the most incomprehensible part of this whole question...is that fact that so many people seem to be preoccupied with "celebrity"....

I enjoy watching him , I have no reason to assume that he is not a top bloke, and if he can find enough sycophants out there willing to pay the money, then he'd be a fool not to take advantage of it !

If he invited me to join him on a fishing trip I am sure I would accept, as he appears to be an interesting and quite witty bloke (as are my regular fishing buddies!)....

But pay for the privilege....Sorry no!!!
:eek:

Jim Foxall I'll take you fishing for a day and show you the ropes and bring your TXi radios I'll only charge you £25 for the whole day.
Let me know if your interested. were going at 10am Saturday.

The fee is £500 and just maybe he feels that's what all the agro is worth, if you don't like it then don't bother.....I'm sure Mr Hayes couldn't give a toss. Met him once at the BS conference, nice bloke had his photo taken with my young son Joe and made his day. Haven't read all the posts as some seem to border on the pathetic but he has probably done more to put angling in the public domain than most and definately can perform in front of the cameras......hasn't he also won the Drennan Cup???

Hands up all those who own an expensive 4 x 4 so their wives can take the kids to school

or would pay

£150 for a 'Take That' ticket

or a

Chelsea Season ticket

All a complete waste of money...........in my opinion of course

Like it or not Matt Hayes is an angling celebrity, if he was **** he wouldn't be would he??

Merry Christmas

Best Regards
Dave

Hi Jeff,
i would certainly have a day with you, but i reckon you wouldn't turn up, you left me in the pub last time, not like the chub i put you onto when i took you out.............merry xmas.
Brian.

Guiding

Jim Foxall I'll take you fishing for a day and show you the ropes and bring your TXi radios I'll only charge you £25 for the whole day.
Let me know if your interested. were going at 10am Saturday.

Sure I'd be interested. I'll pay you £25, if you or I catch a barbel tomorrow and if neither of us catch a barbel, you pay me £25. I'll guess you'll snap my hand off!

I would ask why Jerry wanted to fish with Matt in the first place? I suggest it is because he rates him as an angler and because he wanted to spend the day with somebody of celebrity status. Now there's only one Matt Hayes to go around so - supply and demand = higher price.

Its always been so and is especially pertinent in angling. For example, I have guided people on the Wye. On the Bredwardine stretch, without being immodest, I know the river as well as anybody yet occasional visiter John Bailey commands twice as much per session than me because he is high profile. I have no problem with this, its just the way of the world. After all, how much could Wagner have asked for an appearance a couple of months ago? Any advance on 3p? Yet now he will be earning a nice little living by his awkward dancing and flat singing - crazy I know but hey, I didn't write the rules.

As for Matt. I've spoken to him in the past about the guiding thing. He asks a lot for two reasons. First, he is as high a profile angler as you can get along with John Wilson and that comes at a price. Second, he doesn't really want the work. Sure, lots of people want to fish with him but he has more in his life than going one to one with punters day after day so he asks a lot and those that are prepared to pay it get his undivided attention.

Met him once at the BS conference, nice bloke had his photo taken with my young son Joe and made his day. Haven't read all the posts as some seem to border on the pathetic but he has probably done more to put angling in the public domain than most and definately can perform in front of the cameras......hasn't he also won the Drennan Cup???

I agree with Dave on this. Matt is a talented angler (Drennan Cup) and can front TV programmes (Quest TV runs his Total Fishing With Matt Hayes 3 5pm to 6pm daily in the week). Much prefer to watch this guy and his mates than noted geordie. I saw one last week with Trefor West on the Teme on bouncing meat in low water conditions - MH's enthusiasm was quite evident. Similar story with Mick Brown after predators and Tony Miles doing other stuff. The guy can catch and makes his enthusiasm for the sport quite evident on the TV. That can only be good news.

As for the guiding prices, you should see what my University charges for my consultancy rates!

Seriously tho', we all learn from books, magazines, TV, DVD, mates and these forums. Guiding not for me tho! Not even Paul's ladies!
If you want guiding its out there - who you want and what you pay is your business. Period.

i enquired some time ago, getting on for 2yrs ago i think, when i was interested in having a days guiding and one of the people i enquired with was matt hayes, anyway i had an email back today apologising for the delay in reply and that a days guiding would set me back £500.:eek:

£500 i couldnt believe it, how can you justify £500 for a days fishing, which incidently would have to be in febuary, the days are short in febuary as it is and the email says you meet for a cup of tea before hand, more time gone out of the day and i bet the tea isnt free.
£500 is he really that good? well i wont be going to find out thats for sure
cheers
jerry

Jerry,i know you,as well as you know Matt Hayes.Your opinion is your own.

If i was to decide to have a buffett at a funeral for my dear and no longer with us uncle Boris,i may choose to have an outside caterer to provide a spread of ample proportiions.

I could on the other hand get a load of sandwiches from Tesco,chop them up and just muddle along.

We'd still remember uncle Boris.........

I would ask why Jerry wanted to fish with Matt in the first place?

dave

google search engine, 2 yrs ago when i was newish to barbel fishing thats what i typed in the google search engine barbel guiding days or there abouts, as thats what i wanted, hopefully to learn more as you do, we all like to think we,re competant in what we do but then i knew nothing about barbel fishing i still dont really, but i enjoy what i do, i just thought £500 was a bit dear, its still my intention to have a guiding day but for £500 i could have atleast 3 days out with the best guides around ray walton, trefor west, steve pope etc etc it wasnt a dig at matt thread, as sad as this sounds all i want to do is expand my knowledge of barbel fishing meet a few nice people on the way and learn, i just thought £500 was a lot but like other people have said he is an angling celebrity, and of course he has too make his living i understand that, its only fishing though ( my thoughts when i seen the price) but after reading every comment, its totally justifiable for somebody in his position
cheers
jerry

"Granny bashing Scouser"

Well Mr Funcks ,think you will find Mr Rooney fits that tag ,born Croxteth ,Liverpool if you want to be formal ,which apparently you do .

Abandoned his scouse mates at Everton for the lure of the lucre at Man Utd ,and now cannot score anywhere .

Well why not say "MR ROONEY" instead of scouser, so people know who your talking about. And as for him leaving for United, that is something he will NEVER be forgiven for, but name me one other player who wouldn,t have done the same thing. Everyone,s got their price, probably even you.

Well why not say "MR ROONEY" instead of scouser, so people know who your talking about. And as for him leaving for United, that is something he will NEVER be forgiven for, but name me one other player who wouldn,t have done the same thing. Everyone,s got their price, probably even you.

"Mr Rooney" ? What's with all this Liverpudlian formality ,Mr Funcks.

I thought even you would have worked out the subtleties of my comments,being a scouser.
Sorry the humour was wasted on you,and I thought you Liverpudlians were renowned for it.

And Stevie G has never left Liverpool ,despite the hiccups,nor Jamie Carragher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back