• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

guiding day with matt hayes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Oh Dear turned a bit vindictive towards Matty hasn't it? Are you really questioning his Angling skills CJ and others?

As I'm the only CJ I can see on the thread, do your best Neil, tell me where I've questioned Matt Hayes angling skill in any way shape or form?:confused: Beyond a tongue in cheek reference to not wanting him involved in a make believe trip to the bunny ranch I've said nowt about the fella.
I've got nowt against the fella and if he can get five hundred quid a day for guiding then bloody good luck to him.

If you were referring to another CJ that I'm unaware of then you have my apologies.

The Chairman on Thurday

A new product for the terminally badged type - "I wet a line with The Chairman [slash Paul] - and lived!"

Having a little firm in the Orient run up a few thousand as I speak. 99p to you chaps, £999-00 plus VAT to Bankers etc.

As ever,

B.B.

Matty

Dear Oh Dear turned a bit vindictive towards Matty hasn't it? Are you really questioning his Angling skills CJ and others? It is obvious he knows one end of a rod from another, unlike some others I see on TV.
He has a deft touch and and certainly knows the Severn, well he ought he was brought up on the Middle, and has accounted for 1000's of Barbel.
Matt Hayes might not be every ones cup of tea, but he has huge Charisma, and has made a good living out of Angling, it therefore seems like a reasonable charge to fish along side him. But as to why folks should want to employ a guide to help the achieve their Angling dreams is beyond me, but for those that do offer these services and criticise the worth of those that do also, but even better, is frankly hypocritical. Or perhaps is it the Green Eyed Monster at work?

I suspect that we all agree, if he can take £500 a day, good luck to him. It's not that much when compared to what doctors, dentists and especially lawyers day rates. However, it is a lot compared to what many of us earn. I think what sticks in the craw is that for someone to charge himself out at £500 or £700 a day, then as Ginola? would say, "It's because I'm worth it" and that's the point, the pomposity. For those people who would use a guide, ask yourself punk, why would you employ a guide? To catch more fish and what then? Are you buying success? Surely a lot of the enjoyment is sussing things out for yourself. Remember when dad would put a maggott on the hook, chuck it out and tell you to strike when the float bobbed?

Good luck to Matt Hayes i say!..:D..I met him some years ago whilst fishing at Hampton Loade on Severn must say what a nice bloke he is and very approachable he even gave me and mate some new braid he was trying out..I guess if some one wants to pay £500 for a days fishing then good luck to them, personally i would never pay any one to guide me as i much prefer to learn myself..Ive met Trefor West a few times this Season down on the Stour seems a nice enough bloke but the people who he was guiding didnt do that well and indeed trefor was asking myself and others where we were catching the Barbel..But end of the day if paying a known angler money for a days guiding makes a person happy then thats up to them..:)

Jim

There's no comparison when it comes to doctors, dentists and lawyers, no fisherman needs a degree to bait an hook then lay a trap for a fish to hook its self :D

For the record, I 'only' charge £100 a day(£125 with a signed photograph).
You'll learn nothing, but at least you can tell your mates you fished with a legend.

£500 for a day of a professionals time seems pretty reasonable to me. You want a working day of my time it's going to cost you £750 to £1000.

Consider what it would cost you to have any other professional dedicate a whole day just to you. It is their living after all.

Most guides way under charge for their time imho. Somehow we seem to think that because it's only fishing they're not due a decent days pay.

Reading this thread I had a thought (most unusual, you will have to excuse me why I lie down for a moment) which I would like to put into this interesting debate. How many of us are happy to purchase a Barbel related book, read it and learn from the knowledge and experience of the author, but would find the idea of going out fishing, with the same author, as a guide, abhorrent. Surely the principal is the same only the price that differs?
Well that has drained me for the evening anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!
Merry Xmas to all and I’ll go back to sleep now.

I think the point here is that Matt Hayes is not a full time angling guide/coach, he is a full time TV presenter and angling celebrity with a few spare days in the year.

He would probably rather not spend his few spare days guiding people but will do it as there is demand. As has been said, he will want to limit that demand otherwise he would be absolutely inundated with people requesting days, the fact that it took you 2 years to get an answer Jerry, probably shows how many requests he gets even at that price.........that is on top of replying personally to all the other mail, e-mail and blog questions he recieves............

In my industry, many contract staff earn well in excess of £500 per day and no-one has even heard of them!!! I guess all is relevant..........

It actually amazes me how little the likes of Trefor West charge, they would still be booked a year in advance if they doubled their reates to be honest...........

You have to differentiate between Guiding (showing swims and fisheries), Coaching with multiple anglers present... and one to one personal Tuition, and as Chris says, being out with a Celebrity.

Matty

£500 for a day of a professionals time seems pretty reasonable to me. You want a working day of my time it's going to cost you £750 to £1000.

Consider what it would cost you to have any other professional dedicate a whole day just to you. It is their living after all.

Most guides way under charge for their time imho. Somehow we seem to think that because it's only fishing they're not due a decent days pay.

Paul, there's a living and a living. Teachers get paid about £125 a day. On that basis, Matty must be some teacher. Are you actually paid £750 - £1000 a day or charged out at that rate? Either way, can you find me a job with your outfit - I'm a quick learner!

Why pay money when you can get the best advice in the world from all the experts on this site for free? :) Not only from open forums and pm's but from meeting and fishing with like-minded people.

Matt Hayes (or anyone else as a matter of fact)? It all depends on your financial situation and priorities.

To line the pockets of those who believe they are special, laughable really :D

You're not wrong there, apart from the fact that we have made them special. The value of anything in this world is whatever you can get for it!

Last edited:
i enquired some time ago, getting on for 2yrs ago i think, when i was interested in having a days guiding and one of the people i enquired with was matt hayes, anyway i had an email back today apologising for the delay in reply and that a days guiding would set me back £500.:eek:

£500 i couldnt believe it, how can you justify £500 for a days fishing, which incidently would have to be in febuary, the days are short in febuary as it is and the email says you meet for a cup of tea before hand, more time gone out of the day and i bet the tea isnt free.
£500 is he really that good? well i wont be going to find out thats for sure
cheers
jerry

That is on the steep side Jerry. I would be hugely embarrassed to charge £500 for a few hours 'guiding' in bleakest february even if i was God let alone a fishing personality.

£500, that is roughly a day out on a boat around a Mexican coast after billfish in glorious weather.......i know what i would do!;)

It's a bit like the old 'footballers shouldn't be allowed to earn that kind of money' argument this one. A day's guiding with Matt is worth what people are willing to pay for it - supply and demand.
If I was in the market for a day's guiding, I would go for a dyed in the wool barbel man. I think I would be uncomfortable sharing a bank with Matt (I don't know him and I'm sure he's a great guy) - I think I would rather pay one of the more low key guys on this site who dedicate themselves to the prince of the river.:)

Reading this thread I had a thought (most unusual, you will have to excuse me why I lie down for a moment) which I would like to put into this interesting debate. How many of us are happy to purchase a Barbel related book, read it and learn from the knowledge and experience of the author, but would find the idea of going out fishing, with the same author, as a guide, abhorrent. Surely the principal is the same only the price that differs?
Well that has drained me for the evening anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!
Merry Xmas to all and I’ll go back to sleep now.

Brian, when you come out of hibernation, I would take issue with you that gleaning knowledge from books is the same as being mollycoddled for a day. Books are entertaining and sources of knowledge. You have to read between the lines, interpret information, discard and add to; a much more rounded experience. Similarly, members who freely give knowledge and experience on this site won't spoon feed you, they will provide tips and pointers as long as they don't feel that the pi** is being taken.
I presume that a guide will sit you on a good peg, having prebaited the spot and set your kit up, over a £1.38 a minute cup of tea. Then thread on one of his special recipes and tell you where to cast. If you catch, then your guide will net the catch for you and have a photo taken of you both smiling together with the trophy. Yuk. I'm really sorry if I offend anyone with the above, but from my point of view, there's no pride in this experience. Swopping information fine, being taught a particular cast fine, but putting a fish on your hook, no thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back