• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

guiding day with matt hayes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gerry,

You can have a day with me for.................................NOWT!
Probably not worth it though?
Makes me laugh though. £500 quid. BEJEEZUS.
Ray Walton would be a much cheaper and better bet, especially for barbel. Unless of curse its conger and rudd you're after?

Have a good christmas mate.

Best wishes to all,

Jeff

Remember folks! Something is only worth what people are willing to pay for it. £500 doesn't mean hes a bad person he is an angler and a businessman too.

Brian

Remember folks! Something is only worth what people are willing to pay for it. £500 doesn't mean hes a bad person he is an angler and a businessman too.

Brian

i never said he was a bad person, infact he seems quite down to earth, its certainley wasnt started as a get at matt thread, like i said i,ve enjoyed his programs, i just thought £500 quid was a bit steep compared to what others charge
cheers
jerry

Brian

Absolutely, Matt seems to be a very good guy. I think that if I went out fishing with him though, I'd be more interested in talking about the time he was fishing for cod in Norway using fish-flavoured sausages. It would be fun, but I'm not sure I'd learn that much about barbel fishing.:)

I'm fully aware that he is a great barbel angler, having seen his exploits on the middle Severn and elsewhere. However, I would be grilling him on his exclusion of bitterling on his Great Rod Race programme and asking him why he chose Burton mere for his catfish in the same series. :):)

Respect

Mike

Lost on me all this guiding thing. Half the fun of fishing is triumphing through trial and error, reading up, and getting to know your river through leg work etc. So with that in mind whats the point in paying someone to show you where to fish, what bait to use, where to cast to etc.... while you're at it you may as well get the fella to wind it in for you too.

Anyhow, I fish Radwell mostly, and if memory serves me right, he and his good mate Mick struggled up there no less than I usually do. £500 ? You're 'aving a chuckle mate.

I don't mind watching Matt Hayes on TV. Not in the same league as Chris Yates exactly, but watchable and he can certainly winkle out the odd fish.
Would I pay £500 to fish with him? No.
Do I care if anyone else wants to pay £500 to fish with him? No.

Clearly Matt gets enough punters prepared to pay £500 or he wouldn't be charging that much. The fact you don't want to pay that is your problem not his!
What £500 buys is a day with one of the top names in one of the most popular sports in the country. What price someone being able to watch him on TV and tell their mates "I've been fishing with him"?

As for his personal bests - he's caught more PB's than most of us as he's been lucky enough to fish all round the World catching species most of us have never seen let alone caught. Maybe fishing around the world appeals more to him than adding a pound to his barbel pb. I imagine some people would rather have a day out talking to someone who has so many varied stories to tell than hearing how many recaptures they've had.

I'll bet a day out with Jeremy Clarkson would set you back ten times what Matt charges.

It's like tackle - you can buy a Dragon Carp centrepin for £30 or an antique Aerial for £500. You pay your money and make your choice. Just don't whinge when you can't get an Aerial for £30.

Supply and Demand gents !
If you were Matt, what would you do !? Hmmmmmmm !
I KNOW MY ANSWER ! Coin it in !
If you have that kind of cash to spare then it's up to you !
Me ? I'd rather have a day out with Stevo !

Clearly Matt gets enough punters prepared to pay £500 or he wouldn't be charging that much. The fact you don't want to pay that is your problem not his!
What £500 buys is a day with one of the top names in one of the most popular sports in the country. What price someone being able to watch him on TV and tell their mates "I've been fishing with him"?

As for his personal bests - he's caught more PB's than most of us as he's been lucky enough to fish all round the World catching species most of us have never seen let alone caught. Maybe fishing around the world appeals more to him than adding a pound to his barbel pb. I imagine some people would rather have a day out talking to someone who has so many varied stories to tell than hearing how many recaptures they've had.

I'll bet a day out with Jeremy Clarkson would set you back ten times what Matt charges.

It's like tackle - you can buy a Dragon Carp centrepin for £30 or an antique Aerial for £500. You pay your money and make your choice. Just don't whinge when you can't get an Aerial for £30.

I don't believe in paying for sex whether £30 or £500, but for £500, it would have to be top totty. As for Matty, well I'm sure that he doesn't mind telling interesting stories at £1.38 a minute, must be rivalling Blair at that rate. And telling my friends that I'd bought Matty for the day, well not for me. If I met Matty on the bank, then I'd be proud to shake his hand ask him for his autograph and a photo together.

Meanwhile! ;)

The Chairman on Thursday

Subject: Meanwhile

Quite. Utterly meaningless all this would you pay £2,000 for a glimpse of stocking from one of our Lady Guides, or pointed in the right direction by young Matt (who is he, by the way?) especially as the last piece of televisual fishy stuff that I watched was Passion For Angling (yes to the 'P' word, always, but as for the Dangling) in - what? - 1990.

As ever,

B.B.

I don't believe in paying for sex whether £30 or £500, but for £500, it would have to be top totty. As for Matty, well I'm sure that he doesn't mind telling interesting stories at £1.38 a minute, must be rivalling Blair at that rate. And telling my friends that I'd bought Matty for the day, well not for me. If I met Matty on the bank, then I'd be proud to shake his hand ask him for his autograph and a photo together.

Just Googled "Tony Blair Lecture Fee" - came up with...

China condemns Tony Blair as a golddigger over $500,000 fee for three-hour trip

I think that put's Matt's fee in perspective!

A day with Matt isn't for me either but I'm not going to knock him because he can charge £500 a day, or anyone who chooses to pay the going rate.

The Chairman on Thursday

Subject: Meanwhile

Quite. Utterly meaningless all this would you pay £2,000 for a glimpse of stocking from one of our Lady Guides, or pointed in the right direction by young Matt (who is he, by the way?) especially as the last piece of televisual fishy stuff that I watched was Passion For Angling (yes to the 'P' word, always, but as for the Dangling) in - what? - 1990.

As ever,

B.B.

Paul, I'd rather pay you to entertain me on the riverbank. Seriously, this forum would be a duller place without you, even though I wonder what you're on about sometimes.

Kind regards

Mike

Barbalingus - aah, the sweet taste of success comes to those who persevere.

Think it's bedtime now. :cool: :)

Last edited:
The Chairman on Thurday

A new product for the terminally badged type - "I wet a line with The Chairman [slash Paul] - and lived!"

Having a little firm in the Orient run up a few thousand as I speak. 99p to you chaps, £999-00 plus VAT to Bankers etc.

As ever,

B.B.

The Chairman on Friday

Subject: Bankers

It appears that if you are unwise enough to vote like a turkey, you only end up being treated like one - http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/dec/16/bankers-send-turkey-price-soaring

This is why, of course, we feed our Guests in the Castle Cellars to the Golden Beauties we have in the Estate stockponds being fattened up for the Hamster and putting a bend into my Beecham Barder Imperator.

Organic-turkeys-007.jpg

Gobble, gobble.

B.B.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back