• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

guiding day with matt hayes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok Jim

Who said

"I'm not sure what the process is of becoming a celebrity angler, does it start by logging catches in the Angling Times on a regular basis? Apart from catching some decent fish and letting the World know about it, something else is needed. The guide needs to be no shrinking violet and would probably require an ego as fat as their wallet."

Which just goes to prove. You are spot on sometimes :p

Looking at the day rates of the Caer Beris, all inclusive, and the day rates charged at a Bob Robert's course, then I can't see much of a profit in it for Bob Roberts. I may be naive here, but I can see little financial incentive in running the course. I know what you're thinking, did I fire 5 shots or 6? Or, do people do these things because they like the limelight. Without naming names, there was a well known, very talented personality in the fly fishing World and he was a top class fly fisherman. He would do talks, fly tying classes, instruction, made videos but made no money whatsoever. Judging from anglers that I know and are sponsored, sponsorship will help the finances, but it's not a retirement pot. I suspect to make money, TV exposure is required. Dare I mention Robson Green? As for Matty, well, he seems to be selling fishing kits for every aspect of fishing imaginable. No doubt, he'll have a starter kit for Great Whites on the shelves very soon. Which implies that it's a cash cow rather than a passion. I maybe wrong, but people like Bob Roberts may be there primarily for their passion and if you can make a living as well, fine. I may get shot down here, but I would doubt that Bob Roberts would make a fat living from what he does.

Just read this interesting thread,I am in the same business as Mr S King it seems, not on the animal side but in the production department .
This Xmas one well known celebrity turned down a supermarket advert despite being offered one million pounds whilst a colleague of hers/his did it for seven hundred thousand pounds.
Five hundred a day .... not worth setting the alarm for.....

Happy new year,

Mark.

Quite agree, chicken feed. Please pass on my details to the well known supermarket, I haven't a great deal of work on at the moment and would be happy to submit a competitive tender. At a push, could probably do for half a mill. Nearly forgot, plus expenses.

Just read this interesting thread,I am in the same business as Mr S King it seems, not on the animal side but in the production department .
This Xmas one well known celebrity turned down a supermarket advert despite being offered one million pounds whilst a colleague of hers/his did it for seven hundred thousand pounds.
Five hundred a day .... not worth setting the alarm for.....

Happy new year,

Mark.

Hi Mark,

It's really quite obscene, isn't it? I missed out on a days filming for a Big Supermarket because my python was the wrong colour. (Must have a word with my doctor about that). They were offering £2,000 for the day.

As for fishing with Bob Roberts, I'd happily pay any amount not to.

I've decided to see if I can train terrapins to act as an eco-friendly bait-boat, based on their mono-mono-static bodyshape. One carefully drilled hole, a length of greased string and a coffee-mug glued to their back.

Dragons Den here I come. :cool:

As for fishing with Bob Roberts, I'd happily pay any amount not to.

The Chairman on Tuesday

And something to do with the "Angling Writers Association", too. I was all for having my man Kevin pay the chap a visit after seeing this - http://www.bobrobertsonline.co.uk/2010-mid-september-blog/ - a few mnoths back, but young Paul forbade me to: "Go after the difficult fish, sir, not the easy carpers and the nibbling small fry."

Quite.

As ever,

B.B.

Dear all,

Been back and cleared up some of the posts - doubtless to the offence of some, but it was well meant! I've kept the meandering stuff in as some clearly enjoyed it.

If anyone wants it re-opened, give me or one of the mods a shout.

Thanks,

Jon

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back