• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Grayling

23 grayling to 1lb 9oz, a couple of brownies and a sea trout on the test today, beautiful spot..........

Was with Crooky today on that stretch, plenty grayling, 2lb my biggest and a couple of sea trout, lost a whopping great trout too.

Nathan/All,
Fished Britford today in tough conditions ! River VERY low and clear, Stuart said that The Old River was the lowest he's seen it in 20 odd years ! Boy it was cold ! Very hard to achieve any sensible presentation due to the line constantly freezing in the rings ! This meant having to use a much heavier float than I would normally use in such low and clear conditions, purely in order to get a decent cast and keep the float running in a straight line as mending line was a mare ! The strong wind didn't help either (downstream).
Had 3 Grayling of around 6-8ozs (also bumped what seemed a much bigger fish). Also manged 8 Dace, 6 of which were a good size, the best of which was hard to get my hand around and the length of my forearm (elbow to wrist). Had the obligatory Brownie too.
Had to admit defeat an hour or so early as it was becoming, as Stuart put it, 'A test of endurance, rather than fishing'. And to be fair, with the biting wind, it really was at the end !
Can't wait to go back in more favouable conditions and with an extra foot or 3 on ! Seems I was the only one who troubled the scalesmen too !
Regards Paul M.

Well done Paul, that's good going in tough conditions. I phoned Stuart on Tuesday and he told me how low it was, but said it had been fishing well with some decent grayling and dace coming out. We had hoped to go today but as the wind was so strong we had decided to fish the Lea instead!! Sadly Kent, or at least Sevenoaks, is pretty much cut off at the moment. We've had 12 inches of snow and that was prior to what we're getting now. I guess by the end of tomorrow it could be up to about 14-16 inches.

Hope to get to Britford soon. I prefer it a bit lower than higher personally and it is rarely low over the winter!

Nathan,
The swim I fished would've produced a lot more fish had I been able to achieve a finer presentation, of that I'm sure !
It was very low though, which can be good as the holding spots tend to be more obvious and crammed with fish ! An extra foot of water would've been perfect !
Best to keep an eye on conditions and an ear to the ground as I suspect when conditions are right it'll be fill your boots time !
14 inches of snow !? We've escaped with about an inch and a half so far ! Very, very lucky !
Regards Paul M.

WD40 Paul, keeps your rod rings ice free. Well if they haven't had much snow there it may be worth a visit soon before any rain. Sounds like a really good dace that, I know there are some clonkers in there.

We are up to around 18-20 inches of snow now. It's like Siberia here :cool:

Nathan,
Stu says that it's been doing a lot of 12oz fish and some bigger ! That's a good fish for early on !
Not sure about today, but they'd had no snow to speak of ! Like I say, we've only had a bit ! Sounds like a mare down your way !
We went out Dace fishing in about 6-8ins of snow last winter and caught well ! But I will say, i've never felt as cold fishing as I did yesterday ! That wind was bitter aand the line was freezing instantly ! Routine of dip rod, cast quick and carry out a very jerky trot ! Totally unprepared really ! WD40 next time ! Thanks !
Regards Paul M.

Bit of a struggle to find fish today but did manage this one, didn't have my scales so guessing it at around 1.12.
IMG_0242.jpg

Thats a beautiful fish.
Very much looking forward to getting out this weekend for another go at the grayling. Caught my first ever grayling (followed by 2 more), 2 weeks ago and enjoyed it very much. Must admit it is hard on my river to find a good shoal though. Lots of perfect looking swims, just very little in them.

Steve,

That looks a very good fish, difficult without a real referrence but I would have put it over 2 easily!!

Chris,

When you say your local, are you talking about the Wey??

Steve,

That looks a very good fish, difficult without a real referrence but I would have put it over 2 easily!!

Chris,

When you say your local, are you talking about the Wey??

I wouldnt say that is over 2lbs more like 1lbs 10oz around that mark, I had a 45 inch fish a few weeks ago that was just over 2lbs by 3oz and it was a lot bigger than that but a very nice fish all the same, well done Steve. :D

I wouldnt say that is over 2lbs more like 1lbs 10oz around that mark, I had a 45 inch fish a few weeks ago that was just over 2lbs by 3oz and it was a lot bigger than that but a very nice fish all the same, well done Steve. :D

nice fish george a 3'9" grayling at 2lb 3 oz in the shape of a worm:D

We'll agree to differ George, seen a few weighed 2s so far this winter and looking at the depth of that fish, guessing it is around 14 inches long (as the reel would be around 6 or 7 inches), that would be my estimate, Steve is obviously not that bothered about the weight and it is a beautiful fish nevertheless..........

Steve is obviously not that bothered about the weight and it is a beautiful fish nevertheless..........

Well I was a BIT bothered to be honest Ian! ;)
Definitely the biggest grayling I've caught, never had one with a hump like that before. Just check measured the net and it would be 15"-16" from nose to tip of tail. I was travelling light, just bait and a few bits of spare tackle, luckily I had my camera with me to record it. Hooked at the end of a 45 yard trot and it was a real dour fight.

I took this length/weight guide from the archives:

"Might be of interest Compare Gunnar Westrin's (well-known Swedish ff'ing writer and grayling aficionado) table for grayling, based on his 40 years of experience: Although this table does not take into account the time of year as both male and female will put weight on around girth ready for spawning. Gunnar Westrin's table weight length 0,5 kg 34-38 cm 0,6 kg 38-42 cm 0,7 kg 42-44 cm 0,8 kg 44-46 cm 0,9 kg 46-48 cm 1,0 kg 48-50 cm 1,1 kg 50-51 cm 1,2 kg 51-52 cm 1,3 kg 52-53 cm 1,4 kg 53-54 cm 1,5 kg 54-55 cm 1,6 kg 55-56 cm 1,7 kg 56-57 cm 1,8 kg 57-58 cm 1,9 kg 58-59 cm 2,0 kg 59-60 cm."

And here is a metric to imperial conversion facility:
http://convert.french-property.co.uk/

Back