• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Grayling

A 2lb'er from yesterday...

CIMG2154-2.jpg

Nice one both Wills, I was present with Mr. Barnard today, had a few fish, hard going though, best was 1lb 12oz for me........

I'm ready for a trip whenever you have time to squeeze me in Perchy. Got some nice bottled ales ready to go.

Cracking fish Will 2.

Off to Britford Wednesday with Spammy and Medway K. Hoping for a few decent g's or a nice dace and hopefully a full English :D

Think you will find that they darken as they get older/bigger mate. I fish the Frome in Dorset and the big n's are the same darker colour!

Colin. Grayling scales are fairly metallic and show different colours according to the light being reflected from them. From one angle they can appear a light soapy green/blue while from another angle they will be a dark purple/gray. Also they can be considerably darker at the back end of the season.

I agree with Keith, the bigger ones tend to be darker..............could be due to the way the larger scales distribute the light !?

Hi Colin. Definitely the glowing light from a sunny winter's day in that pic. As others have said, bigger they are the more dark grey/metallic blue they get. Small ones shiny and silver.

Braved the Test today, minus 12 at first light and fished through a mini blizzard. Few upper 1's and a 2lber on the noggin.

Fished the Frome today and had 5 nice Grayling (although modest by Frome standards)! Biggest 2lb+
KeithrhfishingPictures039.jpg
[/IMG]
Slightly better picture of same fish
KeithrhfishingPictures037.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Hi I've put another post under the title timsbury, but was quite rightly informed to try on here which makes sense! Basically if you haven't read the other post I'm booked on timsbury next weekend with a few mates to have a bash at getting first grayling! Have a centrepin and float rod and was after some advice regards end tackle type of floats hook size line b.s,bait etc and any other tips you may like to give me if you have fished this fishery before which I'm sure many of you have thanks in advance, matt

Went out on the wey Monday morning with the pin and a bucket of maggots as heard it held a few, after a couple of chub, dace and a nice lean brownie I landed my first grayling, no where near the size of some on here, maybe 12oz but was well and truely made up as it's a fish I have always wanted to catch..
In all a great mornings dangling and cannot wait to get back out again.

I lost a certain 3 pound plusser last Friday. I had several good views of it during the fight but never got close to getting it in the net. Somewhere in the fight she rolled up in the line and stuck sideways in the flow. After that I'm not sure if the hook pulled and lodged somewhere else but I couldn't do a thing with her as she gradually moved ever further downstream. Then the hook pulled and she was gone. A 2.09 a couple of trots later eased the pain but that first fish was in a different league. Two other fish of 2.01 and 2.04 amongst other smaller fish made it a very worthwhile day but still that 3 pounder eludes me.

Matt , bit late so hope I can still help at this late stage? Don't know the fishery but if you're fishing for "The Lady" you need to be near the bottom so I would suggest using an Olivette of anything between 3-8g depending on flow! I fish this within 10-12" of my hook which is a size 16 or 18 with red maggot as bait (although a grain of sweetcorn can also score). My favoured float will normally be either a Drennan clear Loafer or Crystal Avon taking a reasonable loading (better heavier than lighter eg 5-8g). Other than that a decent float rod (min 13"), and the package is complete!!
Grayling don't require any rocket science, just reasonable presentation!
Enjoy!!

No not too late thanks for the tips can't wait for next saturday! Will have to go to tackle shop and stock up on loafers, cheers for the tips!

Matt,
Not fished it for a while, so not sure which bits you can fish now !?

BUT, take plenty of Maggots and keep them going in ! And don't discount sweetcorn !
You will also encounter some big Trout, so be prepared !
There are some cracking Dace to be had if you can find them !
MY advice would be, that if you just want to catch one, then look for shallow, boily water.............

Well it was a tough day on the Hants Avon today. Water was quite coloured, so not ideal. Levels looked OK though. Ended up on a carrier which was around 2' 6" deep. Managed to take fish steadily throughout the day. Around 15 or 16 grayling to about 1lb 4oz, similar amount of trout including a sea trout of approx 2lbs and a nice dace. Luckily the forecast was way off. They had predicted heavy rain and we hardly had any :D

All in all a nice day out.

Back