• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Grayling

Repeat catches of grayling George - had a fair few of those including one 2lb fish which, when returned after a lengthy fight, went and sat behind a stone midstream in the shallow clear water and I caught next trot through - saw it take the maggot. I don't think they can help themselves!

had a few today fishing the river Perry. First ever go with a cane rod, with a centrepin obviously - fantastic fun, didn't realise the cane gave so much.

cheers
Al

Fished the Irfon recently. Lovely day on a beautiful stretch of river. Managed a few grayling between 4 of us to just shy of 2lbs. We will be back. :)

Just a couple of hours trotting on the upper Severn near Newtown this afternoon. Caught grayling and trout in pretty much equal numbers, no big fish but good fun on stick n' pin.:)

Help!

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping that someone might be able to help me.

I've got the day off of work tomorrow and was planning on doing some chub or perch fishing, which is still a possibility, but the sight of the heavy frost this morning and similar conditions forecast for tonight has made me think twice.

I'm thinking that it might be a good opportunity to have a grayling session. However, I have very little experience of targeting grayling and even less knowledge about decent day ticket stretches that I could visit. :(

I live on the Oxfordshire/ Wiltshire border, so would anyone be able to recommend a couple of decent possible stretches? I don't mind travelling and would ideally love a chance of a 2lber (a man can dream :) ).

I've heard about the Frome and the Test (but have no idea about day ticket stretches) and have caught a few small grayling from the H.Avon around Salisbury, but that's it really.

Any help (either on here or via PM) would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers,

Stu

Thanks for the reply, Ian.

Looks like Barton Court could be worth a crack. Not too far from home either.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Stu

Great, but tough day on a low and clear Hants Avon today !
Lots of fish to be had, but very, very 'Peggy'.
Had a 40+ fish to a decent size and for me the stamp of fish was better than usual ! Really had to work for them in all but one swim, but enjoyed the challenge and renewed my fishing mojo !
Nice to meet a couple of fellow BFW'ers ;) And enjoyed the company of a couple of good mates !
Might just have to go back soon...............

A great day out mate although not up too you efforts I still enjoyed the 20 fish I had. Also nice to meet the few other lads fishing the stretch small world!

Stuart,

You mentioned Salisbury, would that be at Britford. I would say you have as much chance of a 2lb grayling on the old river as you would on the LIF and certainly more chance than at Barton Court. However the river at Britford has to be right to produce, Phone Stuart the river keeper for conditions.

Managed a few grayling today, ended with a dozen. Several around the pound mark. It ended up being a BFW fish-in, although I didn't appreciate it at the time! :) Good to meet you, fellow BFW'ers and well done Paul on a good haul in tricky conditions. That's the lowest I've seen that stretch and very poor flow. There, thats my excuses out of the way.

Yes it is a small world isn't it? Two sets of BFWers coming from opposite directions of the South of England and meeting on the same small stretch of the H.Avon. Good to meet you Clive and Paul. Had a reasonable day with about the same number as you Clive but lost about seven or eight fish.

Geoff

I would definately echo the remarks about Britford ! IMHO, much better value than Barton Court and the keeper Stuart is a real mine of information !
Barton is a lovely fishery, but I think it (and others such as Lower Itchen and Timsbury) are well overpriced ! Also with low levels at the moment, Barton will be rock hard !

Having fished Barton Court about a month ago I can only confirm what Paul has stated. It was extremely low and the fishing was tough, to say the least. Four of us fished and we all caught a few fish and some nice ones to boot, but nothing exceptional. Still watching Red Kites all day made up for the fishing and the company wasn't too bad either.

Evening Nathan and Paul,

Sadly, i've only just read your messages about Barton Court, as I retired early last night ahead of the early start this morning.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I fished Barton Court and you were both spot on about the conditions and the tough fishing!! As expected, had countless trout, but couldn't find myself a grayling anywhere.

It was the first time I've fished there though, so it was nice to take in a new venue even if the fishing was difficult. Surprised by quite how low it was though.

I've fished Britford before and completely agree with everything you've said. It's lovely down there and Stuart is a top bloke.

Well done on your catches yesterday.

Stu

I am sorry you didn't have a great day Stuart, I have always done well up there, not seen it yet this season though.......

I really like LIF, the place has magical qualities for me, it is expensive but I don't mind as I don't fish it every day.

I didn't recomend Timsbury as I think it is ruined since they lost the good carriers...........

Which location at Britford do you recomend Nathan, PM me if necessary.......

Get on the Old River Crooky. Don't fish the carrier, I am not aware of any grayling in there. As I said though, the river has to be in good sorts. It is often very high as Stuart pushes the water through to it from the carrier to protect the roach.

If you ever fancy a day there let me know, Geoff and I have fished it often in the past. We are far from experts but always enjoy it there.

Is this one of the London Anglers stretches?? If so, there are three, hence my question, which stretch? Bridge Farm?

Don't be sorry Ian, I still had a good time! :)

Any time on the bank is enjoyable. It was nice down at Barton, but I think I will try and arrange my next visit when it's carrying a bit more water.

Didn't manage to spot any roach anywhere either, which I thought I might given the low and clear conditions.

Back