• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Grayling

Hi Terry,

I fished that beat last season (they call it "the unpronounceable one"!) and it was magic. You've got a treat in store. Still got the printed map so if you want to have a look in advance I can PM/email a copy to you. There is a lot of water to go at so try and get there as early as you can.

The chap who looks after the stretch is a rod builder and has some very nice ones on display. Very informative on where to find the fish too.

Will

I fished the Itchen today with good mates Geoff, Dan, Medway Kev and Martin
Porter. The river looked good but sadly those big Itchen grayling
eluded us yet again. However I did get one surprise in the shape of a
new PB pike, all 17lb 10oz. Gave me a right merry run around on 3lb
line I can tell you. It was a magnificent beast and I was incredibly
lucky to land it in such a fast flowing river on light tackle. My
thanks to the chap that landed it for me!

Attachments

• Itchen Pike 17lb 10oz.jpg
    Itchen Pike 17lb 10oz.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 245
Blimey - well done. Down on the Itchen soon meself - hoping for something a little smaller though!

C.

Had a top day on the Upper Hants Avon yesterday, lots of Grayling to around the pound and a half mark, plenty of rouge Brownies to around 3lbs and a few quality Dace. All for the price of a 5 quid day ticket !
Best days fishing this season for me ! Wonderful sport on light float gear !
Definately get back before the end of the season !
Paul M.

Also fished said bit of Avon and had a great day. 2 of us had lots of fish on the float. Great fun. Thanks for the advice guys.

Had another visit to the Upper Avon today. Fishing a lot slower than last time, but still good sport.
Nice to see Shippo bag his 1st Grayling and a good one at that !
Both had a fair few and the odd rogue Brownie, highlight of the day for me was the big, fat Dace I had, right old lump !
Clive also discovered the main problem with Grayling fishing ! Hook-Pulls ! All part of the game i'm afraid, if a little frustrating ! Think I have converted him, his smile said it all ! Well done bud, pretty good float skills too for someone who doesn't do it that often !!!!
Paul M.

Hi all,
Has anyone else seen the claimed 'FIVE' from the Severn in the Dangling Times !? By all accounts, it died because it was deep hooked and he ate it for his tea !
Looking at the pics, I think I've had a couple of 5lbers as well ! Nice fish, but never a 5 !
Makes you wonder.....................

I've had real, weighed, fly-caught fours in the Alps (Austria) and Sweden, but a five from here...?

Dangling Crimes failing to tell a chancer to take a hike, once again, surely?

With the current run of low temperatures I decided it was grayling time on the Dee this week. Monday turned out not too well, river running high and a fair bit of colour, not to mention the b*****d leaves! Only fish was an out-of-season 1lb brownie.

Back again this afternoon for another try and after trying several likely glides finally got to one where the float buried. Felt liked I'd hooked a log as a decent grayling unfurled it's dorsal and headed downstream! With 18" of extra water on the fish put up a super scrap but I finally got the net under a lovely lady pushing 1.5lbs. Got another about the pound mark shortly after, then the brownies moved in and I had 3 of them in the 8-12oz bracket.

Nice to get this years' campaign started with a couple of decent fish.

Nice Steve I am kicking off the grayling hunt myself Wednesday cannot wait.

Well done Steve.
Was on the Dee myself on Tuesday, colour had gone, leaves still a pain, but the fishing wasn't much better. Managed 2 small Grayling and a small Trout, but lost 7! Two of them felt like decent fish which was annoying. Back out tomorrow, not sure where yet.

Back