• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Grayling

We'll agree to differ George, seen a few weighed 2s so far this winter and looking at the depth of that fish, guessing it is around 14 inches long (as the reel would be around 6 or 7 inches), that would be my estimate, Steve is obviously not that bothered about the weight and it is a beautiful fish nevertheless..........

No bother at all Ian, its still a beautiful fish, ALL grayling are. Ive had 3 fish so far over 2lbs this season and my mate has had 1 fish over 3lbs from the clyde that was an absolute donkey and won him the fish of the week in the sun newspaper in scotland. This is a pic of him with it.
003-2.jpg

that Grayling is very impressive, well done to your oppo George.

Jon

Great pic George. I know size isn't everything but an aquaintance of mine has had 16 grayling over 2lb (weighed) in the last 3 months from a southern river. All of them on sweetcorn.

No bother at all Ian, its still a beautiful fish, ALL grayling are. Ive had 3 fish so far over 2lbs this season and my mate has had 1 fish over 3lbs from the clyde that was an absolute donkey and won him the fish of the week in the sun newspaper in scotland. This is a pic of him with it.
003-2.jpg

Now that is a beautiful fish.Wow!!!!

George, that is one amazing fish!
I have a mate in Glasgow who keeps moaning that all his trout lochs are frozen, told him to get on the Clyde for the grayling, he'll never want to fish for trout again! ;)

Im originally from the clyde valley but now live in Yorkshire after settling here when I got out the forces but I make a point of getting back up to the clyde as much as I can to fish for these beauties, there are bigger, myself and John who is pictured have both been broken by bigger fish and we watched a Grayling which I would estimate to go maybe 4lbs, It wont be long before someone gets one from the clyde, you just got to know where to look for them.

I had a 45 inch fish a few weeks ago that was just over 2lbs by 3oz and it was a lot bigger than that but a very nice fish all the same, well done Steve. :D[/QUOTE]

Should that be cm not inches george:( but hey they're only numbers

Last edited:
Can Clive and I cadge a lift please lads :D

Mind you, not sure I'd be bothered catching 'fingerlings' like that !:p

Well there it is then. The first BFW Grayling fish-in north of the border. If we set off now we should be there in time for hogmanay. Crooky you bring the tissues, I can feel a nose bleed coming on already. :)

Ding, ding. All aboard the grayling bus.

Last edited:
I had a 45 inch fish a few weeks ago that was just over 2lbs by 3oz and it was a lot bigger than that but a very nice fish all the same, well done Steve. :D

Should that be cm not inches george:( but hey they're only numbers[/QUOTE]

My apolgies Your correct geoff that should have been cm's and not inches :eek::eek: but just imagine what a 45inch grayling would have weighed....lol

to wet your appetites a bit further here is the fish from my last trip up a month back, Nathan I was told all southerners get noose bleeds and start passing out north of Milton keynes so it maybe best to stay south of there till you acclimatise :):)
clydegrayling2.jpg

all my grayling pictures from the last few months are on my blog so if you want to see more of the little beauties be my guest :)

Back