• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Grayling

Good job we are all different Paul. I actually prefer to catch them trotting.

Can't beat a flick of the wrist to set the hook at long range, when one has finally teased/manouvered the bait into that slight drop off 30 yards away. That solid thump and steady pressure. Fantastic, and no heavy fly line to drag around..

Graham

A 9-foot low-diameter fly rod weighing 3.25 ounces, an ultra-lightweight multi-perforated fly reel weighing much less than half that of a 12-spoke Aerial, a weight-forward 4- or -5-weight, light, floating fly line...

Stalking sighted monsters...

Seeing them take (watching, in many instances, the fly intercepted and actually enter the fish's mouth), setting the hook, seeing the little rod hoop round and feeling the fish's weight, then watching the hooked fish shake its head as if in amazement, then bolt for the nearest current or cover...

I used to like trotting for grayling, too.

Hi men ,

First trip after Grayling today on the Kennet . nice day watching the Chris Lythe fluted float go down the swim . I had 2 , not big , but pulled back nice :) . Its a long time since I have trotted , and I got into the mother of all tangles :D before getting into the swing of things !. 6 turbo charged trout made thing exciting as well .

Hatter

Had a lovely day on Friday trotting for the old grayling on the upper hamps avon. A pleasant day made better by a few chub, 2 kamikaze trout and several grayling, although I did bump quite a few off and one was easily over 2lb, still, you can't beat them all. Will be fishing for grayling on the Irfon a tributary of the upper wye soon, magical.

Well done Theo

I Blame Crooky.
he took us to the Itchen.

The river came up, coloured as mud, and it came up some more, then some more and we nearly lost the cars to the river. Bumper high in the end and just made it back down the lane.

In between nearly getting washed away I managed 4 grayling, best over the pound in the morning before the river was totally mud coloured with snow melt and constant rain.

Crooky should be hung.

Graham

Will be fishing for grayling on the Irfon a tributary of the upper wye soon, magical.

Whereabouts on the Irfon do you fish Terry? I've fished it quite a few times above the confluence and at times there are so many grayling it almost gets boring!

Had a good day at Bangor-on-Dee just before Christmas, had about 20, ranging from 5" to 1.08lbs, they just love red maggot! Only had one try since New Year and blanked on the same stretch.

Nathan, I've noticed that of late ! You couldn't get near it last time we fished it. You always used to be able to fish it quite sensibly, now it's a wading job and I can't be bothered or willing to chance that ! Shame really as that's where the majority of the Grayling seem to be !
Try Amesbury if you get a chance, good bit of water there for a cheap day ticket.
Anyone else know of day ticket waters in that area worth fishing ?

Regards Paul M.

Paul you could also try the day ticket section of the Avon below Salisbury, if your in the Amesbury neck of the woods, very good Grayling as well as other species. If you give Dave Moody a ring at Reidds Tackle he will help you out.
Regards
George

Thanks George, will give that a go sometime !
I like Britford for the Roach and Dace, but since the old river is so high 1/2 the time I don't get the mix of fishing there I used to ! Always spent the morning on the old river and the afternoon eleswhere.
Always did well on the old river, nice mix of Grayling, Chub and Dace. I remember seeing some huge Bream there too !

Cheers Paul M.

Both those sites sound worth a go. I take it the tickets are available from Salisbury DAC? Amesbury is north of Salisbury, so I take it the river is a little narrower here? You also mention a bit south of Salisbury, where abouts is that? What sort of size do the grayling go in these two sections?

Sorry for all the questions!! Not being local, I like to try and get as much info as I can before traveling there. Thank you both for the info.

Nathan,
Im definately not local either Im a scotsman living in North Yorkshire...now there is a combination but seriously I used to be stationed at larkhill so know the area quite well. The Lords walk at Amesbury is narrower than down at Salisbury, Its called the town stretch also but if you go into the cycle centre at the roundabout at the top of amesbury high street they will assist as they have a tackle & bait shop at the rear.
As for salisbury this was a day ticket stretch I used to fish but for the love of me cant remember the name of it but if you contact dave Moody, he is a local legend and such a helpful guy he will put you onto fish anywhere in the area, even on the stour if you so require.

I`ve had one or two off the Teme but can`t seem to pin down decent areas and, even if I do I don`t really know what flow to look for.

What sort of swims do you guys find good? I fancy a trip on the Teme before the season ends so a shortcut or two would be helpful:D

Martyn,
I would try any shallow broken water 1st, in my experience these type of swims nearly always throw up a Grayling or 2.
Also look for pacy, streamy glides with a crease, these aeem to produce also.
To be honest, without sounding patronising, experience is the key, the more you try, the more you will have 'an eye' for likely swims, much like barbel fishing really.
Good luck !

I agree with Nathan, on a recent trip to the Itchen, we fished a lot of fast water for limited success, but I tried a very unlikely swim on the inside of a bend with a big slack and hauled in about 14 Grayling in 2 hours; most being around the 1lb mark with a couple going over 2lb. A very good Grayling fisherman told me that at this time of year the Grayling are shoaling up, so if you do find them then they should be in good numbers. The only reason why my tally stopped at 14 was because I ran out of time on the fishery! Going back at the end of feb armed with knowledge :)

Last edited:
Struggled again today at Bangor-on-Dee, river still up a few feet but clear, thought they would play but only managed one of about 1.25lbs. Great fight on the light float tackle with the fish really using it's dorsal in the extra water.

Sorry chaps i've been doing the dreaded work thing in Yorkshire for a week, but now its fishing time until saturday.

Hello Graham I trust you are well?

I was at Britford and the old river was up and pushing very hard, trotting was difficult to say the least. Still Britford is worth it just to be there on a cold and frosty morn. Roll on some warm, wet, south westerly weather and let the roaching begin.

I am on the Irfon this thursday at a place called cefnllysgwynne (easy for me to say) and it is the first time I have fished the river. I am going with a couple of guys who have never caught a grayling before so i am excited for them.

Back