• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Can Man Live by Braid Alone.......

I can absolutely assure you that I am not taking the mickey and I would prefer it if you did not allude to swear words, as it says in the site rules that younger people visit and it sets a bad example.

I also notice that some of responses I seem to attract at the moment are in the nature of a personal slur. I try to discuss issues rather than people and nothing I post is personal and I would ask other to do the same. This also applies to Paul Boote who is not even posting on here anymore (as far as I can see) so is unable to defend himself.

Anyway back to your question “do I seriously think we should measure an anglers ability on the size of the fish they catch”…………yes I do. Having a deep love of nature and respect for the environment are laudable qualities indeed but they do not mean by default that they make a good angler. A runner may have a detailed knowledge of his sport and spend all his free time looking after the running track and helping youngsters and be an all-round good egg, but if he does not win races then he is not a very good athlete.

Richard

I'll add my twopenneth on this one. In my experience, the best cricketers don't always make the best coaches. Same in the classroon, the most intelligent people don't always make the best teachers. The prettiest boy doesn't make the best lover. Not an exact parallel, I agree, but food for thought. .

Last edited:
I really dont see how anyones angling ability can be judged by the size of fish they catch/have caught, there are far to many variables in angling to be able to do this. like it or not one variable is money, if you cannot afford to fish or travel to waters with big fish how can you catch them, there are/ have been syndicate waters that were very expensive and difficult to gain entry to. what part of the country and what rivers you have access to can and do affect the size of fish you catch, how much time an angler is able to put in is another variable there are others but it would be boring to go on, i know people that i consider to be better anglers than myself yet i have caught bigger fish than them in some species.

regarding braid, i have recently started to use 30lb powa pro, dont know if it is better or worse than mono as i havent used it for long enough, but then that is also something that individuals wont agree on its all down to how confident you are with whatever you are using.

I can absolutely assure you that I am not taking the mickey and I would prefer it if you did not allude to swear words, as it says in the site rules that younger people visit and it sets a bad example.

I also notice that some of responses I seem to attract at the moment are in the nature of a personal slur. I try to discuss issues rather than people and nothing I post is personal and I would ask other to do the same. This also applies to Paul Boote who is not even posting on here anymore (as far as I can see) so is unable to defend himself.

Anyway back to your question “do I seriously think we should measure an anglers ability on the size of the fish they catchâ€â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦yes I do. Having a deep love of nature and respect for the environment are laudable qualities indeed but they do not mean by default that they make a good angler. A runner may have a detailed knowledge of his sport and spend all his free time looking after the running track and helping youngsters and be an all-round good egg, but if he does not win races then he is not a very good athlete.

Richard

Just a couple of things Richard, firstly I don't belive it is the purpose of this forum to try and determine who are the greater or lesser anglers. What each of us value in another angler is personal which means there is no right or wrong, just perspective. You belive it is around the number of fish caught, I might belive that a lesser angler is one that is not properly dressed in full gentlemans country clothing when landing even a small fish. Secondly, you take offence at what, to you, appears to be personal slurs. On this note, you might want to reflect on the fact that throughout this thread you have referred to 90% of anglers (so a few million I would guess) as "lesser" in terms of ability, or being "less fortunate". The reaction you have had from some people on this forum to your comments just reinforces this.

Howard . Yesterday I caught 30 + Dace , trotting on a tiny stream with a split cane rod and a pin wearing a Barbour Jacket and Hunter wellies , surely this would gain maximum respect from my peers ?:) Quantity and quality .....

Howard . Yesterday I caught 30 + Dace , trotting on a tiny stream with a split cane rod and a pin wearing a Barbour Jacket and Hunter wellies , surely this would gain maximum respect from my peers ?:) Quantity and quality .....

Well unless at least 3 of em were over a pound then that would just make you an underachieving townie playing at being a country gent without being able to afford a proper rod IMO ;)

A lesser Angler is someone who belittles others, thinking they know best and their methods are the best...

P.S, Richard, Are you Paul Boote in disguise?.:D:D

Im Affraid chaps that we now have another Paul Boote who if you dont agree with him, he starts to try and be clever and wind people up...

Good Luck with that Richard..

A lesser Angler is someone who belittles others, thinking they know best and their methods are the best...

P.S, Richard, Are you Paul Boote in disguise?.:D:D

Im Affraid chaps that we now have another Paul Boote who if you dont agree with him, he starts to try and be clever and wind people up...

Good Luck with that Richard..

Steady on there Craig . Mr Boote was / is peerless in his ability to upset folks . I don't think he was trying to wind people up , well not all of the time ... Most of his PB's critics seemed to manage to get themselves in a lather all on their own. I am sure Richard will soon become wise in the ways of BFW . It's only fishing after all :)

Going slightly off topic..... I have used braid for quite awhile now and tbh the fight is brilliant on braid. I came to this view when a mate had a so called double header and I justly landed a fine none pounder using his mono set up. I found the fight awful like playing a fish on an elastic band, this was Daiwa Sensor and sensual it wasnt.
I will stick to braid thank you very much. I this it was CJ who said fisjing next to snags using mono was an accident waiting to happen. I am firmly in his corner.

Steady on there Craig . Mr Boote was / is peerless in his ability to upset folks . I don't think he was trying to wind people up , well not all of the time ... Most of his PB's critics seemed to manage to get themselves in a lather all on their own. I am sure Richard will soon become wise in the ways of BFW . It's only fishing after all :)

Spot on there Mike.

All Richard needs to do now is refer to the 90% as Townies and all hell will break loose:D

Welcome to the site Richard, they are not always this sensitve mate the cold must be keeping a few of 'em away from the banks;)

Last edited:
Chacun a son gout

Hugo

My view is each to his own. Quesque tu pense , Mon amis. I learnt a petit bit of Francais when I was a Legionnaire. Peutetre we can share a few blagues quelquefois oeuver a verre of wine. Unfortunatement, mon English and Francais as become a petit confuse and il n'ya pas rien people understand moi. A bientot. Jusqua le prochain temps.

My view is each to his own. Quesque tu pense , Mon amis. I learnt a petit bit of Francais when I was a Legionnaire. Peutetre we can share a few blagues quelquefois oeuver a verre of wine. Unfortunatement, mon English and Francais as become a petit confuse and il n'ya pas rien people understand moi. A bientot. Jusqua le prochain temps.

Finally, this thread is starting to make sense. Thanks Jim.

Finally, this thread is starting to make sense. Thanks Jim.

Right...that does it. I can take it when folk catch three 16lb barbel in one session, I don't even get jealous...well, not much....I don't, all right?

However, I draw the line when folk claim they can make sense of Jim in full flow :p

Cheers, Dave.

Spot on there Mike.

All Richard needs to do now is refer to the 90% as Townies and all hell will break loose:D

Welcome to the site Richard, they are not always this sensitve mate the cold must be keeping a few of 'em away from the banks;)

Ash,

Thank you for extending a welcome to the site, I must admit some of the reactions I have had made me think I was not welcome. Anyway I'm sure you and I at least will become great chums. I suppose it is only to be expected on an open forum that you will get a rather broad church when it comes to correspondents so I must learn to be tolerant. However the notion that to be good at something requires that you are useless at it has me rather flummoxed as to the logic beghind it.

Richard

P.S Incidentally as the greater part of the population actually does live in our towns and cities then it is an actual fact therefore that the greater proportion of less accomplished (is that a better term for the sensitive ones?) amongst us are in fact "townies".

airraidwarden.jpg

Back