• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Can Man Live by Braid Alone.......

I am posting this purely to ensure that this thread breaks through the 100 post milestone. Applying the value model previously set out within this thread i.e. that quantity is a barometer and indeed measure of eminence, then at 100 posts (and just look at the number of views too!) this thread can surely be regarded as highly accomplished. Other, lesser, threads with a weedy post count and poor viewing figures, should take note and those that aspire to some level of greatness within this forum and, importantly, to command the respect of all members, would do well to identify where they have gone wrong when starting threads.

That may be so Adrian but you had an original thought and so therefore could be considered a genius. Anyway if Howard and I wish to call you a genius what qualifies you to challenge us?

By the way braid is very good.

Thanks, but I think genius should be reserved for people like Einstein and Dr Christian Barnard, all I did was google.

If Professor Barnard's early victims lasted a week they had done well. Still the quality of life over that extended lifetime must have made it all worthwhile. I think some of his later patients did last a little longer. I seem to recall that rejection might have been an issue. The good Professor gave up being a genius for a celeb lifestyle with all the trappings that went with it. It must have been quite reassuring to come to, post-op, with the good Professor bending over you - enough to bring on a heart attack and another transplant required.

I am posting this purely to ensure that this thread breaks through the 100 post milestone. Applying the value model previously set out within this thread i.e. that quantity is a barometer and indeed measure of eminence, then at 100 posts (and just look at the number of views too!) this thread can surely be regarded as highly accomplished. Other, lesser, threads with a weedy post count and poor viewing figures, should take note and those that aspire to some level of greatness within this forum and, importantly, to command the respect of all members, would do well to identify where they have gone wrong when starting threads.

Brilliant Howard....I knew we would see eye to eye eventually,

Richard

Richard,

These ARE opinions, and everyone is entitled to their own.

Your posts seem to suggest that you know better than everyone else. Whilst I appreciate that you are new to the forum, you will have to get used to differences of opinion, wether you agree or not!

As for braid, have you seen it in CLEAR water? It looks like rope!

As an angler of over 30 years and have used braid on and off since it's inception to fishing in this country I have seen people misuse it on many occasions and have seen damaged fish that have been tethered.

nearly all my fishing is touch legering, wether rolling or static and my belief is that braid doesn't give any significant improvement in bite indicatiion. That is MY opinion.

Regards,

Jeff

Richard,

These ARE opinions, and everyone is entitled to their own.

Your posts seem to suggest that you know better than everyone else. Whilst I appreciate that you are new to the forum, you will have to get used to differences of opinion, wether you agree or not!

As for braid, have you seen it in CLEAR water? It looks like rope!

As an angler of over 30 years and have used braid on and off since it's inception to fishing in this country I have seen people misuse it on many occasions and have seen damaged fish that have been tethered.

nearly all my fishing is touch legering, wether rolling or static and my belief is that braid doesn't give any significant improvement in bite indicatiion. That is MY opinion.

Regards,

Jeff

Jeff,

Your post is aimed at me personally rather than the subject being discussed. I have already learnt on this forum that a lot of personal abuse (you’ll go blind I tell you) goes on and I would rather not be a part of that, but I will defend myself if I feel it necessary.

Everybody is indeed entitled to their own opinion. It is my opinion that the moon is made of cheese. It is my opinion and I am entitled to it; it is also complete and utter rubbish.

Regarding “knowing better than everybody else†I know more than some people and less than others. It’s a fact of life that we are all subject to, try and live with it.

Braid in clear water does not look like rope, it looks like braid. Also in clear water hooks look like hooks and leads look like leads.

After 30 years of fishing you have seen fish damaged by braid due to misuse. I have also fished for a similar period and have never damaged a fish with braid. Therefore from this limited field study we can conclude that it is the angler not the material that is at fault.

When touch ledgering and rolling you say you can tell no difference in feel between braid and mono. I would be interested in the thoughts that other members have on that statement.

Richard

Although not a braid fan , I have tried touch ledgering with it and it is amazing what you can feel through your fingers , much better than mono . Other than this, all it's other perceived advantages are in my opinion dubious . It does damage fish , I have seen the evidence , it will slice through soft tissue very easily , nasty ... By the way Richard the moon is made of cheese , this is fact not opinion ,ably proven by Wallace and Grommit

Last edited:
Although not a braid fan , I have tried touch ledgering with it and it is amazing what you can feel through your fingers , much better than mono . Other than this, all it's other perceived advantages are in my opinion dubious . It does damage fish , I have seen the evidence , it will slice through soft tissue very easily , nasty ... By the way Richard the moon is made of cheese , this is fact not opinion ,ably proven by Wallace and Grommit

Mike,

I stand corrected and feel rather used, shallow and useless. Cue numerous posts quoting those attributes to me prsonally

Richard

It does damage fish , I have seen the evidence , it will slice through soft tissue very easily , nasty .

Braid can indeed cause tamage to soft tissue. However, I'd still contend that such damage to a fish is down to inappropriate use. I.E. It's the fault of the muppet using it, not the fault of braid.

Hello Chris . I am not sure what inappropriate use of braid is . What I have seen on a number of occasions are barbel from several different rivers / venues with very fine but deep lacerations on their flanks and/ or their fins . One fish I caught had one of these lacerations right through to its spine . I cannot prove 100% that this is braid damage but I am conviced it is . How this happens , I am not sure . Could be tethered fished getting ravelled up in the stuff trying to escape , could be fish that have got caught on the line whilst being played . I do think that the low diameter of braid coupled with high breaking strain encourages some anglers to fish right in the middle of snaggy swims and hauling hooked fish out . This sort of tactic I feel increases the risk of this sort of damage . I accept that this sort of damage could be caused by mono but I feel that braid is much more effective at cutting flesh , therefore I feel it is the culprit

I was bored so I actually read this thread, I am a little late in joining the debate (for which I apologise) and I just wanted to make 2 observations and 2 statements.

Firstly it is not reasonable to ask me to read previous posts before posting on any subject….it would simply take too long.

From personal experiance I have found reading previous posts saved wasting my time and the others who post on here. The wealth of knowledge contained in previous posts is enlightening and helped formulate the methods I use, especially if you can access the old yuko posts. As most of the topics have been 'done to death' in the past, most do not bother replying - braid topics for me are a waste of time - my yuko name is gaskes if you care to look.

As for newbees - I was a newbee once and I read the old posts, we all have our own opinions and I do live by braid alone - apart from my hook lengths.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for that Mike Hodgkiss

Unfortunately some anglers define themselves and their importance and status by the size of the fish they catch , now that is sad , but unfortunately true.

Quality :)

P.S. I am in the 90% of anglers who catch 10% of the fish.

P.P.S I am in the 10% of the population who can read

Last edited:
Hello Chris . I am not sure what inappropriate use of braid is . What I have seen on a number of occasions are barbel from several different rivers / venues with very fine but deep lacerations on their flanks and/ or their fins . One fish I caught had one of these lacerations right through to its spine . I cannot prove 100% that this is braid damage but I am conviced it is . How this happens , I am not sure . Could be tethered fished getting ravelled up in the stuff trying to escape , could be fish that have got caught on the line whilst being played . I do think that the low diameter of braid coupled with high breaking strain encourages some anglers to fish right in the middle of snaggy swims and hauling hooked fish out . This sort of tactic I feel increases the risk of this sort of damage . I accept that this sort of damage could be caused by mono but I feel that braid is much more effective at cutting flesh , therefore I feel it is the culprit

Hi Mike,
it's mainline braid that has the potential cause problems. However, it shouldn't be used as a hooklink and, unless it's fished with very short hooklinks or without rig tube or a leader material, it shouldn't get anywhere near a fish during a fight. As I have said before, if braid causes any problems, it's down to the angler using it, not the braid itself.

Hi Mike,
it's mainline braid that has the potential cause problems. However, it shouldn't be used as a hooklink and, unless it's fished with very short hooklinks or without rig tube or a leader material, it shouldn't get anywhere near a fish during a fight. As I have said before, if braid causes any problems, it's down to the angler using it, not the braid itself.

I think in the absence of categorical evidence to the contrary (video footage etc) then this must be a fair conclusion. You would hope that its relatively uncommon....

Despite fishing rivers which attract more than their fair share of numpties and holiday anglers (Severn and Trent) I have yet to see anything which I could attribute to braid damage on a barbel.
Where is the evidence?

PS, I'm a mono user, I like a bit of stretch in my setup.

The evidence is what people have seen with their own eyes and reflected back to the forum in this and other threads . Are you meaning photographic evidence Adrian ?

Back