• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Can Man Live by Braid Alone.......

That would do for a start Mike.
These days when everyone carries a phone with a camera the kids have a saying, "if you dont have a picture it didn't happen".
I've searched the interweb and cant find any pictures, If you can do better I'm willing to concede it may occasionally happen.

Having used powerpro for the last 10 years I can only say I have never seen damage to any fish caught even after recaptures the same season.

However I would not use it if carp (mirror) were the main target. It potentially could de scale more than mono can due to the finer diameter.

Far more problems are caused by anglers using it in the wrong situations. Just seen one on tv who I met using it on a very rocky Wye section. The individual lost four barbel on the trot fishing over rocks and was cut off every time. I advised him to change to tough mono. At least he listened.

So I guess in answer to the question. Yes...if he sticks to easy rivers without hard irregular bottoms

Graham

Last edited:
That would do for a start Mike.
These days when everyone carries a phone with a camera the kids have a saying, "if you dont have a picture it didn't happen".
I've searched the interweb and cant find any pictures, If you can do better I'm willing to concede it may occasionally happen.

Well I am not quiete of the same opinion of the ' youth ' that if it isn't captured on camera then it didn't happen , but that is fair comment . I have never photographed the barbel I have caught with this damage but if I do catch another I will certainly take a snap . Thinking back on it , the fish I did catch this with damage ,[ and it isn't a lot compared to total numbers caught , maybe 5% ], all came from short stretches of rivers that were relatively heavily fished . It could be that some were re captures ?

Having read back through this thread from start to finish I think I can definitely say that you get more bites with braid..........................

Braid

I had a couple of years on the braid many years ago, but now only use it for rolling baits and lure fishing. I don't rate it's abrasion resistance and think it's too obvious in water. I prefer fluorocarbon or clear mono. I do fondly remember some exciting hit and hold barbelling on braid though.

Nick C

Back