• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Winter suites.......

Had a Igloo 2 for 8 years kept me warm and dry in all that time, Just brought a Drennan Ultra suit for £36 off Ebay a bargain as the recomended price is £119.99, worn it twice its a lovely suit,well made and loads of pockets and keeps you warm and dry.

Ray

l
l

I've just bought some new winter gear having researched many things online. To be honest I've had a lot of the fishing brands down the years and IMHO most of it is rubbish. If I'm sat in a boat pike fishing or on the river in a downpour I need something decent. A lot of the fishing gear is warm, really warm, but can't withstand much of the wet stuff. I've invested in some hunting attire thats breathable and waterproof. It wasn't cheap guys but I reckon I've spent £400 on sub standard stuff over the years.

Cheers Ian

Ian, I think that you are spot on. Probably best to look at the quality of clothing that commercial guys use. Better to fork out once on top notch gear than umpteen fishing suits made to a price. Much to be recommended for the layers system with a really good outer shell.

Was on tidal trent yesterday in very high winds and at times torrential rain the wychwood solace suit I can guarentee its windproof , waterproof and breathable

Had my Trakker replaced with the Sundridge Igloo 6 a couple of days ago. The suit had it's first outing tonight. First impressions are very good, as it's a lot lighter in weight than the Trakker and breathable. The waterproof test will come no doubt and whether it lasts in my frequent outings (blanks) during the winter months.

does the igloo 5 have the detectable mid layer in the coat the same as the 5 still trying to work out why the mk5 is more expensive than the mk6.....

does the igloo 5 have the detectable mid layer in the coat the same as the 5 still trying to work out why the mk5 is more expensive than the mk6.....

Hadley, I tried to source the Igloo 5 through my local tackle shop, but they couldn't get hold of one. I settled for the 6 even though I was a little confused by the difference in price also. Very early days to confirm why it's cheaper. However, a few differences i noticed by comparing images of the 5 and actually using the 6. There are no riveted buttons on the 6, as it has velcro instead. Personally I dont mind this. There is no internal jacket. Again this can be overcome. I was initially concerned that the jacket of the 6 maybe limit my options in milder weather as it would be too warm. It's actually not that insulated, and no more than than the sallapetts. So in milder weather you will not need a fleece underneath the jacket. Lastly i'm not 100% sure on this, but the jacket is not 3/4 lengh, and in the style of a bomber jacket. Those three differences will make the jacket cheaper to make IMO.
Cheers
Paul

If you really want to use the best ,then use what the Army does,Snugpak ,very light,amazing natural materials (duckdown),available in all sizes and weights.

The problem with Fishing clothes is they are too heavy and cumbersome,and designed for being sat in for long periods.
Military have to do the same but keep mobile too ,carrying large loads in all weathers,so the gear has to be better,and is obviously more expensive.

quite fancy the solace suit myself, can i ask you guys about the sizing?
none of my local shops have the solace so i can't try it on, i'm usually a large size for jackets and tops but as we all know sizes vary from each manufacturer..
i'm 5-9" and about 13.5 stone. i usually have trouble with the trousers although the waist is usually ok it's the leg length that drags the floor and gets plastered in mud.. so wondering if any of you soalce owners could give me some dimensions.. hopefully i can then order the right size online and not have to send it back for a different size... thanks..

If the weather turns really cold like last year i would recommend one of these as a base layer under any suit: Sleep Skin Two Piece Suit || Sundridge
Keeps you lovely and warm when sat still, and breathable for when moving around. Had mine for 3 seasons now and wouldn't be without it when the temp drops below zero.

Does this help Phil?

Wychwood Solace 3 in 1 Suit + Thermal Boots MEGA DEAL -ONLY £109.99!!

RRP £169.98
Our Price Only £109.99
Review this product
Read Reviews (0)
Rating:

Part No. 12257 - 12261 + BOOTS Please select Suit SizeL (12258) XL (12259) XXL (12260) XXXL (12261)
Please select Boot Size6-7 (774) 8-9 (775) 10-11 (776) 12-13 (777)

Quantity

Wychwood Solace 3 in 1 Suit + Thermal Boots MEGA DEAL (Code 12258 + 12261)

Jacket:
- Extremis 5000 soft twill waterproof outer fabric
- Hollow fibre insulation
- Storm flap closures
- Detachable peaked hood
- Fleece lined hand warmer pockets
- Durable, hard wearing two way zips

Bib & Brace
- Extremis 5000 soft twill waterproof outer fabric
- Hollow fibre insulation
- Adjustable elasticated shoulder straps
- Extra wide zipped leg openings
- Fleece lined hand warmer pockets
- Durable, hard wearing two way zip

Fleece
- Fully detachable from jacket
- Perfect for wearing on its own
- Fleece lined collar
- Durable, hard wearing zips

Boots:
- Comfortable and warm - No more cold feet
- Re-inforced heel and sole construction
- Fleece Lined for high heat retention
- Made from 100% PVC and rubber.
- Moss green in colour.
- Cleated sole
- Ambidextrous mould

M L XL XXL XXXL
Chest 38-40" 40-42" 42-44" 44-46" 46-48"
Jacket length 31" 32" 33" 34" 36"
Sleeve length 35" 36" 37" 38" 40"
Inside Leg 30" 31"
32" 33" 35"
Waist 32-34" 34-36" 36-38" 38-40" 40-42"

Micky

Hadley, I tried to source the Igloo 5 through my local tackle shop, but they couldn't get hold of one. I settled for the 6 even though I was a little confused by the difference in price also. Very early days to confirm why it's cheaper. However, a few differences i noticed by comparing images of the 5 and actually using the 6. There are no riveted buttons on the 6, as it has velcro instead. Personally I dont mind this. There is no internal jacket. Again this can be overcome. I was initially concerned that the jacket of the 6 maybe limit my options in milder weather as it would be too warm. It's actually not that insulated, and no more than than the sallapetts. So in milder weather you will not need a fleece underneath the jacket. Lastly i'm not 100% sure on this, but the jacket is not 3/4 lengh, and in the style of a bomber jacket. Those three differences will make the jacket cheaper to make IMO.
Cheers
Paul
thanx Paul for the info when you say it is not that insulated, so does it need more insulation for the winter say to wear a fleece as well as the coat??

I would say you'd need a couple of layers including a fleece if the air temps start hovering around zero. Depends how you are fishing i suppose. I tend to not move much, so feel the cold.

thanx Paul for the info when you say it is not that insulated, so does it need more insulation for the winter say to wear a fleece as well as the coat??

Hadley, I have not had any of the Igloo suits, but going by the replies in similar threads to this one, it is just as Paul said. The Mk5 and earlier were a far superior jacket, which had a very thick zip out thermal top inside, with a quality 3/4 length waterproof/breathable outer shell. The new Mk6 has a MUCH thinner permanent lining, which by all accounts is nowhere near as warm. If it is shorter as well, that certainly would, as Paul said, explain the reduced price. One can only hope that it has retained it's good waterproofing and breath-ability levels.

So, it would seem that it certainly will require extra thermal layers underneath. However...many anglers actually prefer the 'layer' system of keeping warm, so it may be just as well. Al depends on how you prefer to keep warm yourself :D

Cheers, Dave.

I would say you'd need a couple of layers including a fleece if the air temps start hovering around zero. Depends how you are fishing i suppose. I tend to not move much, so feel the cold.

Paul, you don't know how much you have made my day by saying that. I now have a ready made response for my mates who are forever nagging me about being more mobile. When I point out that a quality angler with a catch record such as yours 'Tends not to move much', they won't have a leg to stand on :p

Mind you....that would then mean that I would have to think up another excuse for blanking....Hmmmm....maybe not such a great idea, on reflection :D:D

Cheers, Dave

Got the solace and am 5ft 8ins and 13st 4lb (need to lose a bit ) got the xl size and it fits great the legs are a little long but have velcro at bottom so just tighten them and they rest on top of boots without trailing in mud

I have the sundridge mk5 igloo suit and its fantastic money well spent its 3 years old now and still goin strong its a little heavy but its not a problam and keeps u warm as toast in winter and u can take the inner layer out its a fanstastic summer jacket.

Back