• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Winter suites.......

Paul Monaghan

....i need a new one....suit that is. My TFG Force8 is full of holes thanks to the mice in my garage. Also it aint really a winter suite, unless you layer up.
After a bit of searching about and reading old threads I like the look of the Sundridge Igloo 5. However the Ingloo 6 is £70 cheaper. Why is that?
Also the Wychwood Solice 3-1 looks a bargin. Needs to be green or grey.

Thanks
Paul

Last edited:
Trakker Tundra 3 in 1 £99.99 climax tackle, it's a fantastic bit of kit Iv even researched it and there's a video on you tube showing a bloke in it up to -18 eating a cornetto sat very comfortable for a few hours aswell.

....i need a new one. My TFG Force8 is full of holes thanks to the mice in my garage. Also it aint really a winter suite, unless you layer up.
After a bit of searching about and reading old threads I like the look of the Sundridge Igloo 5. However the Ingloo 6 is £70 cheaper. Why is that?
Also the Wychwood Solice 3-1 looks a bargin. Needs to be green or grey.

Thanks
Paul

Igloo 5 is better Paul and is somewhat warmer. My Igloo 5 is 3 seasons old and I have fished in the snow for hours in it but not for barbel! Some of the threads are starting to perish but can you imagine trying to contain me?

Oh and apparently the sleeves are too long for my arms I have been reliably informed. That may not apply to a normal shaped man such as yourself.

You would not want a long yomp in it though, it's far too warm for that.

In summary Igloo 5 gets a recommendation from me and I go fishing a lot!

Conrad

Last edited:
Thanks chaps for the recommendations. Still undecided, although leaning towards the Igloo 5. Like the look of the Greys clothing, but the price tag puts me off some what. Is it worth the extra pounds?

Hi Paul.

The Igloo's come highly recommended by me as well mate!!

But if you want something a bit more comfy look at the pro logic MK4 suits, the only downfall to these is that the bottoms are sallopets [If that's spelt correctly?]

But boy will you be warm in them, and you'll be able to rove about better in these, as the Igloo's are so heavy, and are better suited to sit and wait tactics!!

I've got both mate, choose wisely.

Julian, can you go into more detail on why :confused:

What, Why choose wisely?

These suits are quite expensive, the reason on why to choose wisely, and I'm also highlighting the fact the Igloo that I brought some years back, although an outstanding piece of kit, will seriously weigh you down, if your wanting to rove around during the colder months, or got long walks to the Rivers.

But for colder crisp morning/night dry sessions, my 1st choice would be the Pro-logic Mk 4......warm as toast all day, and you've got a decent hood which keeps the chill out as well.

I did highlite part of your post the bit about the Pro-logic Salopettes ( spelt right ) :)

So was hoping you could add more on the Salopettes on why you thought there was a downfall on these ;)

You cant beat the layer system, you can arrive at a peg unsweaty and just add layers as you go. Best to start off with a good set of thermals first as a base layer than anything else, On top of them go some karrimor winter lined trousers, and a thick thinsulate top and a barbour bodywarmer. If its any colder, snugpak salopettes and a snugpak thermal jacket finish things off, for water proofing some BF goretex finishes it off. Sounds like a lot, but the thermals, sweat shirt and trousers is just standard wear, the snugpak thermal and goretex pack down to hardly anything.

And dont forget your footwear

Dark Green version :eek: every where i've looked only show the camo set :confused:

Thinking about it ,it wouldn't matter if i worn the camo set as i only every fish during the night anyway :D

Is this the dark green version ?

16611-120511110859891847858.jpg

or this one ?

lite-wear-jacket.jpg

I'm with Jon on this one, I go for layers, especially with the weather variations down here, I would rather carry clothes in my bag or chair than on my body in the early evening when it is relatively habitable and then add them as it becomes colder, you feel the benefit of it then..........The trouble with all of these thermal suits is that they are not VERY waterproof and once you get them wet, the insulation properties are as good as useless, I use Greys waterproof trousers which are VERY waterproof and then layer up under them, starting with a good thermal base layer.........

Not a suite as such, but the late Gil Scott-Heron made a very good album titled "Winter in America"

Hope that helps!:)

Whatever you decide on, make sure your layers will 'wick' away any perspiration quickly. The cheaper fleeces are pretty useless for this and your body heat ends up being used to evaporate it. This lowers your core temperature. Remember, clothing only helps to keep existing heat in, and unless you're wired up can't actually heat your body. Avoid cotton base layers, keep your hands and feet warm, don't overheat on the way to your swim and make sure your outer shell is windproof and breathable. If you're sitting for long periods a piece of a camping mat on your chair helps to insulate you from a biting wind.

Try the pro logic flotation two piece not only very warm and waterproof but could save
your life if you fell in, Had mine a few years now and still keeps me warm and dry.

I've just brought a drennan series 7 bib n brace and jacket very warm and light weight I'm really happy with it.

You should YouTube the Trakker tundra 3 in 1 they tested it. Fantastic !!!!!

My apologies for being an utter pedant but it's been bugging me since posted, it's "suits", unless you really are taking two and three piece suites with you fishing. It'll certainly beat the pants off a Nash Indulgence chair in the comfort stakes but I suspect you may severely limit your choice of swim!;):D

Last edited:
My apologies for being an utter pedant but it's been bugging me since posted, it's "suits", unless, you really are taking two and three piece suites with you fishing. It'll certainly beat the pants off a Nash Indulgence chair in the comfort stakes but I suspect you may severely limit your choice of swim!;):D
I had the same thought, but my current level of pedantry is not yet high enough to post it :p:D

As someone who is currently looking for a comfortable chair for long sessions, the idea of having a three-piece suite on the bank seems very appealing :D It would also fit nicely into Clive Shipmans "bivvy".

Back