• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Stolen tackle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we have the main players assembled in this little drama:-

Player one is the "honest" angler that has had his tackle stolen from his garden shed and then puts in a fraudulent claim on the insurance to upgrade his tackle.

Player two is the "scumbag" wot nicked the gear

Player three is the angler who buys gear at the car boot sale knowing that there is a good chance its been knocked off.

Who are the good guy's here.......................

Possibly the guys that have to pay the inflated insurance premiums.

I would suggest the punter at the boot sale. I have bought loads of stuff at boot sales, most of the sellers are blokes who are obviously anglers and after upgrading their gear are selling off the surplus, the rest are small time dealers who are there week after week or in one instance I know, a tackle shop owner, who takes in part ex gear and sells it on a Sunday.
I would imagine far more ends up on ebay or sold in pubs than ends up on public display at a local boot fair.

take the law into your own hands but stick your hand in yer pocket and make sure you have witnesses to prove you wasnt anywhere near the guy,
big boots and heavy walking sticks:mad:

The simple solution to the problem is . Unless you know the seller or unless they have proof of ownership of the goods then you dont buy .
Its all to easy to turn a blind eye and not ask to many questions when buying some thing second hand .
I ssume you would not buy a second car unless there was proof of ownership ?

The simple solution to the problem is . Unless you know the seller or unless they have proof of ownership of the goods then you dont buy .
Its all to easy to turn a blind eye and not ask to many questions when buying some thing second hand .
I ssume you would not buy a second car unless there was proof of ownership ?

Ridiculous! You could say the same about anything; it's not just second hand goods which get stolen.
How many people have bought from the classifieds section on here and asked for proof of ownership?

I don't think I have proof of ownership of any of my gear, excluding a couple rods brought off Harris Sportsmail (email receipts). Does that mean if I ever come to sell it people shouldn't buy from me? I think buying a car is a world away from a second hand rod....

So what is so ridiculous ? This thread is about stolen tackle and I assume that who ever stole it is going to try and sell it to make money ?
Whether they try and sell it at a car boot or on Ebay etc etc .
How do you know that you are not buying some thing that was stolen ?
Unless the person selling has proof of ownership ?
It was a simple enough question to ask :rolleyes:

richard, beleive me if i found a guy what stole my stuff both legs mate, 3ft scaffold pole and yes very serious, forward it may not be but very effective
for deterrant against repeats

richard, beleive me if i found a guy what stole my stuff both legs mate, 3ft scaffold pole and yes very serious, forward it may not be but very effective
for deterrant against repeats

:confused::confused::confused:

I totally understand the feeling of being burgled as I have experienced it.

However, assuming they didn't break into the house, then is it really that bad to justify maiming someone, over some fishing tackle ?

I think I'd rather lose some fishing tackle and let it go than end up in prison. Particularly when you are broadcasting your potential intentions on an internet discussion group for all to see.

Sorry but I don't agree with this

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
What if they broke into your home Daniel would you role over and have your belly tickled then? There are people out there that wouldn't care if they maimed you or any family that where with you. I don't agree with John I feel the scaffold pipes to quick I for one would make there pain last for a long time even if it employed my skills medically to keep them alive. Trust me they would show you no mercy if thw shoe was on the other foot.

Patrick - he's already stated that he's been burgled and understands the pain of it. My house was burgled last October whilst we were all in bed (my wife and young daughter as well as me) and I'd do absolutely anything to protect my family. However, I'd stop short of confronting any intruder unless absolutely necessary. My family would, I'm sure, rather have me alive than dead, and free rather than incarcerated. I'm a big chap too, ex army and a martial artist - however, I'm not stupid!

What if they broke into your home Daniel would you role over and have your belly tickled then?

Patrick,

I said in my previous post that I was assuming they had NOT broken into the house.

That would obviously be a different matter and off course defending yourself and you family is a different scenario.

I'm no fool, I know what people are capable of. All I'm saying is this is all getting a bit over the top for a fishing discussion group.

Cheers

Dan

In a way Dan is right, most of my life has been spent working in armed and unarmed combat. Inside my own home (not on display I might add) are some of South East Asia's best (and worst :) blades.

If my home was invaded for whatever reason, I would be the one left standing, I would take my chance with the law.

The Law on "self defence is a grey area" on common assault, GBH it is not.

Batter someone for stealing your fishing tackle and get caught ? the above is what you would end up with and your life in tatters.

IF you found out who stole from you (and you still wanted to extract revenge) then much better to fight on your own "battlefield" and use your brain! Don't get mad get even.

Trust me, sometimes it is better to let it go. The average man in the street does not have the capacity for violence (anger yes).
Enter into the World of those that do at your peril.

Just my view, everyone's truth in life is different :)

Steve,
I don't know you, but as a fellow angler, I love my kit as well :)

I would be happy to send you a small donation to help replace your gear. If any of the guys on here feel the same pm the guy and let him know, maybe you can replace (and I know it wont be the same) some of your kit in time.

Best regards, Paul.

So your ex army and a martial artist but you you would let people rob you and you aay your NOT stupid? Oh ok

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back