• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Stolen tackle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dave,
It's the new HNV based goo inspired glug with appetite stimulators and essential aminio acids that has just been launched by Loan Angler..........get on it before the pack moves in ;)

Like everyone else, I have given this thorny subject a lot of thought over the years, in particular the worrying idea that you could well be buying stolen gear if you ever bought anything second hand.

The police recommend (or certainly did a while back) marking your gear with a marker pen that only showed up under ultraviolet light. I quite liked that idea, thinking that if everyone did this, a discrete peek with one of those tiny UV torches available now (while viewing used gear at a car boot sale for instance) would clearly show the tell -tale evidence, and you could report your find to the nearest bobby.

However, it then struck me that if everyone DID mark in this way, then every item of second hand kit....legitimately for sale or not...would show glowing markings when examined. Not sure how you get round that one. Effectively, you would be left with the single benefit that you could at least recognize your own makings if you came across your gear by pure chance.

Better than nothing I guess, but not a lot. I am astonished that the insurance companies have not come up with something better, in an effort to cut their losses. A micro chip like that inserted into dogs for instance, randomly built into the fabric of each item during the manufacturing process?

We sure as hell need something to make this growing trade in stolen tackle less attractive to the scum involved.

Cheers, Dave.

Like everyone else, I have given this thorny subject a lot of thought over the years, in particular the worrying idea that you could well be buying stolen gear if you ever bought anything second hand.

The police recommend (or certainly did a while back) marking your gear with a marker pen that only showed up under ultraviolet light. I quite liked that idea, thinking that if everyone did this, a discrete peek with one of those tiny UV torches available now (while viewing used gear at a car boot sale for instance) would clearly show the tell -tale evidence, and you could report your find to the nearest bobby.

However, it then struck me that if everyone DID mark in this way, then every item of second hand kit....legitimately for sale or not...would show glowing markings when examined. Not sure how you get round that one. Effectively, you would be left with the single benefit that you could at least recognize your own makings if you came across your gear by pure chance.

Better than nothing I guess, but not a lot. I am astonished that the insurance companies have not come up with something better, in an effort to cut their losses. A micro chip like that inserted into dogs for instance, randomly built into the fabric of each item during the manufacturing process?

We sure as hell need something to make this growing trade in stolen tackle less attractive to the scum involved.

Cheers, Dave.

You could easily microchip a cork handle using the same chips as used in pets. As far as putting them into the actual fibre fabric, it probably one wouldn't be practical, and two the chips would probably be destroyed in the curing process. It would also be better to have a post-purchase process, so as that people not wanting to "insure" their gear in this way would be free from additional costs.

Cheers, Dave.

One idea with the pen is to write if for sale please contact this number as it may be stolen.or words to that effect. Though you have to rely on people's honesty to report it and not just buy the tackle at a bargain price

You could easily microchip a cork handle using the same chips as used in pets. As far as putting them into the actual fibre fabric, it probably one wouldn't be practical, and two the chips would probably be destroyed in the curing process. It would also be better to have a post-purchase process, so as that people not wanting to "insure" their gear in this way would be free from additional costs.

I should think that some would not want their tackle back, not when there is a nice upgrade and more in the offing.:rolleyes:

Hi men,

I was at a boot sale Sunday , and always look at tackle . Not that much available on one of the biggest sales around . One thing that always makes me smile is the inflated prices for **** old broken centerpins !, with the seller always claiming it must be a collectors item , they have been watching to many " Bargin Hunts " !.

Hatter

Its happening at my local village hall auction as well Mark, I did have a few bargains initially but if I bid these days there are a couple of other 'ebay sellers' who have clocked me going for old fishing gear and go out of their way to outbid me.

Last edited:
Its happening at my local village hall auction as well Mark, I did have a few bargains initially but if I bid these days there are a couple of other 'ebay sellers' who have clocked me going for old fishing gear and go out of their way to outbid me.

Adrian, buy the cheapest pin you can find at a car boot sale, then put it in your local village hall auction, and start bidding heavily on it. ;) :)

fair point Neil!

I knew I had a pair of hyperlloops erm I mean Harrisons in the shed that have gone missing

So we have the main players assembled in this little drama:-

Player one is the "honest" angler that has had his tackle stolen from his garden shed and then puts in a fraudulent claim on the insurance to upgrade his tackle.

Player two is the "scumbag" wot nicked the gear

Player three is the angler who buys gear at the car boot sale knowing that there is a good chance its been knocked off.

Who are the good guy's here.......................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back