• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Record Chub?

Gary

I did not intend to blame you for the story, if I came across that way I apologise.
I mentioned you as a representative of the organisation that publishes your work, that you dis-associate yourself from the story, is in itself interesting.

I concede that there are many more issues that are more important (I did list some of them) however my point concerning the 10lb Chub holds, indeed the general public would not give a hoot, but members of the angling world would care, some like me would care a very great deal

Both The Anglers Mail and The Angling Times have on many occasions claimed to represent the views of anglers and angling, while pursuing sensationalist stories which they know to be complete fiction, you know that fish is a wrong-un (and unless you are the only proper angler at The Mail, so did they!) and yet the story was published, that is duplicity of the worst kind and is, in my opinion deplorable.

I suspect few anglers on this board consider that fish to be as it was claimed so what was the motive for publication?

Unfortunately The Mail is a mere shadow of the publication it once was, I don’t expect them to achieve the dizzy heights they once did, they don’t (with respect to you Gary) have the proper editorial staff.

But I would expect them to try.

Simon, is that a Throop fish....? Every bit 15lbs if the 10lb'er is to be believed.

I would guestimate: 22" long, 18" girth and weigh close to 8lb?

Fishers Green on the Lea, as Gary correctly guessed (knew :)). 7lb 15oz.

Note to self, must use heavier boilies.

Perhaps it's OK really, to publish these things as they turn up, as Gary says.

At the end of the day, it's the readers who're really going to give the picture/story credit, or discredit it.

This is almost certainly a "genuine" weighing error. Unfortunately, the vast majority of anglers (imho) haven't a clue how to weigh fish correctly, but there again, how many would care enough to do some research and find out? It's only entertainment, after all.
Since (again) that vast majority are only weighing for their own "records", it's really not that important..........................is it?

it is a long fish . . .
but surely not deep enough to be a double
although chub do have a habit of being very difficult to guesstimate from a picture. .

this IS a 7lb 14oz weighed on two sets of scales caught by a friend of mine on xmas eve . . .and to be honest i have caught bigger '' looking'' fish that were only just 7 or big 6's

View attachment 42

click on pic to enlarge.

Just realised, that IS Keith with his Xmas fish.

Nice to see a surprised look on his face. :)

I tend to feel soory for the bloke if he's made a genuine boo boo, in believing his scales. I know that Chub particularly can be decieving in pictures, looking lighter than you know what the true weight is, i guess it's because often the photo doesn't reflect the true girth of the fish , - anyone noticed that with chub pictures ?

I have to say from what i see in the picture mirrors pretty much the comments of others it does look around the 6 lb mark tops, given the average estimates on here of some pretty experienced chub anglers i gather, there is well over 3lb missing from the equation, it's just not believable in my opinion.

Ian.

Cheers Simon,

I thought I recognised the tail damage although it would have been larger than the fish I thought it was.......

Incidentally, how did the sizes add up? I did purely guestimate the weight etc from your picture and wanted to see if a picture could be estimated fairly accurately. Proportional sizes of fish, hands, head etc do give far more away than some might think. A good indicator of how far out the fish is held is whether a finger in the picture could go up the anglers nose............;)

Darren.

Keith,
No offence taken, i can understand where you were coming from. I believe we met many years ago at a certain day ticket water in Hertfordshire when we were both doing a bit of zander fishing - certainly looked like you if it wasn't!

There are some stories that the weeklies run that make me cringe when i see them, but having now worked there for more than 10 years i can understand why they are published. It must be the same for many of those who work for newspapers such as The Sun, or even some of the 'lads mags' like Loaded.

One way of looking at it is this has given anglers something to talk about at a time when most can't get out and actually go fishing.

Simon,
Wasn't certain, but thought it would be from there. Hopefully see you up there before the end of the season once all the snow melt water is gone, fancy having another crack on there as haven't fished it for a few years.

Gary

We also met up on The Thames when Mike Wilson and I were nicking the odd Barbel somewhere between Reading and Kew!

Trouble is there seems to be a lot of this mis-weighing going on, remember that 22lb Zander from Grafham?
I have seen a few big Zander (abroad not in the UK), including fish bigger than 22lb, there is no way that one was 22lb, good fish yes but no bigger than 16lb!

I find all this quite silly really and I also ask is it that important, if I were to catch a fish bigger than a current record I don’t think I would bother to claim it.

Simon,
Wasn't certain, but thought it would be from there. Hopefully see you up there before the end of the season once all the snow melt water is gone, fancy having another crack on there as haven't fished it for a few years.

Your'e welcome to join Bob and I again, we're fishing it mid-week fairly regularly to season's end and I'm doing the weekends too.
You might give him a call if you have his number, he's just bagged his coveted " 4lb Perch " today on the Nav!
By god, he'll be a Happy Bunny tonight! :cool:

Darren, sorry, I don't bother with other measurements, so can't help you there!

Last edited:
Record chub? I have always been of the opinion that if I ever saw a 10lb chub it would blow me away, unfortunately, this one didn't.

huge chub come from rivers with a lively population of crays, barbel dominated rivers with a healthy population of anglers who use pellet and the stour.

The wye at Ross has a lot of barbel but I would suggest that the amount of pellet that goes in is nowhere near that of other rivers.
The chub on the wye, like the barbel, are long and lean and not prone to go through the roof weight wise, although, there is always one fish to prove this theory wrong.

The swim in question is a prolific swim when the river is right and can produce a good bag of mixed fish and is fished regularly. This prompts me to ask the question 'as anybody else caught a large chub in the area?'
Chub can be quite territorial and surely with this fish being so big it must have been caught at 6, 7, or even 8lb. After all to grow that big it must have scoffed a bit.

As for the comics it is always a risky call when a claim comes in with such mind blowing stature. The mail went with the story and even presented the captor with a fox award. The times gave the capture a small piece and no credible award at all. It is egg on the face for the mail if the capture is found to be wanting and it is egg on the face for the times if it is found to be true,interesting me thinks?

Want we want is for someone to catch it again, however, I don't think that will happen and if it does well then its egg on my face.

Terry,
A truer reflection of what makes a good fishery for big chub is a low number of fish and a rich environment regards food availability, natural or otherwise.

Not yanky crays and pellets meant for barbel!!

I disagree in part Colin, I believe there's been a correlation shown between Big Perch and Crays on rivers and I think the same is true (to an extent) for Chub.
I know on the Lea, Big Chub are known to regularly cough up crayfish bits in the net.

They are, however, odd behaviourally in some ways. There are Big Chub that get caught in the same swims or stretches and become "known" fish. My 7.15 last season is one of these, caught in the next swim down 8 months before at an ounce less.
There are others that appear to get caught once and aren't seen again for years, if at all. Jerry Hammonds 8.10 at Carthagena on the Lea 4(?) years ago being one. While they can frequent a stretch, they can also move around a fair bit, too.

I find their "unpredictability" holds my interest in them more than some other species.

Back