• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Record Chub?

Hi Mike:), yes still alive and kicking, fishing? non existant this season but will be a guaranteed different situation next season mate;)....j.w

Colin
I appreciate what you are saying and agree entirely, however, the yanky crays and pellet are definately a reason why some chub are growing on in our rivers. I have had chub cough up bits of cray on the Kennet.

The point I was trying to make is there are no crays, no abundance of pellets and no low density of chub in the area.

The stretch in question is full of fish which would suggest there is a lot of competition for food and therefore you would expect any large chub to be caught fairly regularly.
I wish someone would catch this beast again just to put us doubters in our place.

Is there a history of authenticated big chub from the wye?

No way does it go ten! Like others have said, judging from the picture a six - maybe.

Apparently the other picture (not published) showed it next to a big four so and it looked bigger than the pic shown. But even so, never a ten.

And those that go jumping into the swim are wasting their time. Some of the big chub I've seen are rarely in the same place for long and certainly not if they are fished for. Not that this will stop the chasers of course:rolleyes:

For the record, I have seen a chub in the Wye that would go at least eight and probably nine pound plus. I know of plenty of other that have seen some monsters lurking on this river so, the dream lives on.

The Dream Lives On . .

It certainly does Dave! I don't think the recent claim is anything like a double but the Wye has produced one in the past if Mr Morgans fish was genuine.

I've actually been lucky enough to see a genuine double figure Chub swimming in clear water a few feet from me - unfortunately not a wild fish in a river. I've mentioned it before so all i'll say is it lived in an outdoor Koi pond in a garden centre near Nottingham. When i first saw it i was genuinly in shock! I asked one of the staff if they had weighed it recently, they had, and it was well over 5kg! An absolute monster of a Chub, but proves that in the right environment it is possible.

It's always a shame when the comics go ahead with a publication based on a dubious weighing. I admit Chub can be very hard to guestimate their weights from photos, but it is clear that fish is not above 7lb, never mind 10lb.

Back