• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Record Chub?

:eek: :eek:

I think that 7lb is a very generous estimate...

I'm sure Woody is a great guy for information and I've only been in his shop once, but the guy working there (not sure if it was him or not) told me some VERY tall stories about Barbel that had been caught out of a recommended peg in Hereford (that I subsequently fished and caught from :D). Not just doubles but record shaking ones.

Fair play if it is 10lbs but it sure doesn't look even close.

Also a shame that the stretch has been named... especially for those who fish it regularly.

Please pass on my regards to Keith if you know him well Richard, not seen him around on the Stour for a while now.

paul,

i will do , he was talking about a trip to the stour and showed me a great pic of a very big chub from there that he caught 4/5 years ago.
he is fishing every day on the Lea , even in these conditions :eek:

richard

If it is 10lb-01oz and 25" in length, was the girth measurement taken? It certainly doesn't look to me to have a girth big enough to make 10lb

Brings back memories of the Tees 8-10 fish buy hey, that was accepted as the record chub then :eek:

Last edited:
Certainly with the evidence and picture shown, if it is? Then i guess we'll never know and only the angler concerned knows what was what. It's obviosly a great shame as to see the record back on the rivers would of been great, but that stretch is now in for a battering for the remainder of the season, so i'll guess we'll have to wait and see?
I for one won't be joining the circus ;-)

Although it is disappointing that the stretch was named, i wouldn't expect Billy Smart to be descending anytime soon.

Surely everyone can tell that it's a 7 at the very very best, and there are plenty of rivers that can produce fish of that class, along with other stretches of the Wye.

Or am i being naive?

If it is at best a 7, which seems to be the overall opinion, I wonder why the angler and his friend say it's 10-01. He wouldn't appear to be an inexperienced angler so why such a big discrepancy?

A good few anglers do over-state weights but they claim weights which don't cause much interest and are usually just under any national record, unless of course they are genuine fish.

Hi Dave. I remember seeing that one competing with the carp on the surface by the pub. I reckon a good 9lb. I initially thought it was a possible grass carp. Happy days eh Mate.:)

Only once ever seen one of similar size at Dinton on the Loddon.

Graham

paul,

i will do , he was talking about a trip to the stour and showed me a great pic of a very big chub from there that he caught 4/5 years ago.
he is fishing every day on the Lea , even in these conditions :eek:

richard

He had a 7.14 PB on Xmas Eve at Fishers Green and very good for him, too.

I see him a fair bit up there.

Keith, that's every ounce a 12.

Which makes this one a 15?

picture.php

lol

Last edited:
Simon, is that a Throop fish....? Every bit 15lbs if the 10lb'er is to be believed.

I would guestimate: 22" long, 18" girth and weigh close to 8lb?

Don't think I'll be rushing to the swim, have plenty of 6s local to me!
That chub just hasn't got the build to be a 10 lb fish, just look at the build of all the big chub that get caught (such as Simon's above, Lea Relief Channel fish I'd guess?).
Might have been 10 if it was weighed in a keepnet without the scales being zeroed!

Genuine 11lb Chub, from Throop!!

S8300120.jpg

I did not bother with the claim, coz that's the kind of Guy I am!!:)

Despite my previous posts on this thread…..

Write out “I must NOT take the p…..!!†500 times!

I feel there is a serious point to be made, as anglers we are up against it!

We are the last interest group approached when there is a disaster (RSPB first every time) like recently on the Trent pollution.

The EA treat us as poor relations, and do very little to help us even though we are the only group to be charged a special tax that goes straight into their coffers to be wasted on un-necessary projects and atrociously poor management.

We have every kind of Otter group dumping furry killers all over the shop at will.

Our rivers suffer from continuous pollution (most with the blessing of the government and un-opposed by The EA).

And then we get the comics publishing total nonsense that can only push our sport into dis-repute!

Surely they have a duty of care to promote Angling, not make us look like a bunch of Pillocks.

The trouble is I take angling seriously, this is my passion!!!

I understand the difficulty faced by the comics, it is very likely that the captor of that fish made a mistake, or his scales need a new battery, there could be many reasons, but calling a sows ear a silk purse, does not make it a silk purse.

Even the people that publish the comics MUST have some idea what a decent Chub looks like, that fish looks about 6lb I know it, you guys know it, and the idiots at Times/mail they know it to, but have pressed on regardless because they are not interested in the truth but rather a sensationalist story that they think will improve circulation.
In the long run doing it right will improve circulation, I don’t bother with the rags (I’m sure that worries them not a jot) but most of the anglers I know don’t buy them either, if they ever started to produce a proper newspaper maybe a lot of anglers would return to a weekly purchase?

I know that there is a post from Gary Newman, if he is the journalist that works for one of the comics he should say so, perhaps then he could justify this story and we could debate it thoroughly!!

Keith,
Would have to disagree about reports of fish, which may or may not be the size claimed, damaging angling. The general public wouldn't care if this fish is 2 lb or 10 lb, but there are other issues that are far more important.

Yes i do work for Angler's Mail, but i come onto this site and contribute to it in a personal capacity.
I do know what a big chub looks like, having been lucky enough to catch a few myself. You can't blame me for the story as i was 6,000 miles away chasing mahseer at the time!!!

As i have said in my previous post i don't think the fish is 10 lb and i think the captor has made a mistake. But you do have to be very careful otherwise you could discount a fish that was the size claimed but doesn't look it in the photographs - the case of Matt Micallef's record chub from a lake next to the Thames springs to mind. Many discounted that fish but then it was caught by someone else at a very similar weight.

The fact that someone is claiming to have caught a 10 lb chub is news, whether or not it subsequently turns out to be that weight.

Back