• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Record Chub?

Dave Burr

I know that this is a barbel board but a 10lb + chub has been reported from the river Wye.

I gave tackle dealer Woody a ring and he has told me that the fish has been photographed and although it looks huge, the pictures are of poor quality.

The scales have been checked and seem fairly accurate, in fact they read an ounce low at the claimed weight, and he knows the lads involved and they are genuine.

The weight was 10.1 (10.2 allowing for scales) which is well worth getting cold for.

Going fishing anybody?

Genuine maybe but i would wait for David Bailey if i had a 10lb chub never in million years would i settle for a sub-standard photo unless the fish was at risk.

Agree, a fish of that size(the first double figure chub ever)needs to be properly recorded, otherwise you will always get the knockers doubting its size.
Anyway, hope its true and genuine, and well done the captor:)

Dont want to sound like a miserable sod but I agree with Clive about the photo, I would of sent for someone with a tidy camera if I had caught it, I'm not saying that its not possible mind just a little sceptical. Would be great to see the pic though.

The extreme weather may have hampered a better photo of the fish, not everyone has a 4x4 and snow chains. In my eyes if he had a credible witness/s and some decent scales and a half decent photo, that will do. Given the conditions...

Lets hope it lives up to its promise.

Agree, a fish of that size(the first double figure chub ever)needs to be properly recorded, otherwise you will always get the knockers doubting its size.

Sorry to say there will always be doubters regardless of how well verified the fish and its capture are!!

Best pic, best scales to weigh it on and following the best weighing protocol.
Many will still sneer and draw scorn on the capture / captor. (probably jealousy)

We are all assuming a few things, firstly that the angler fortunate enough to land this monster actually knew the magnitude of his capture.
And secondly he is going to make his catch public knowledge, therefore most definitely turning that fishery into a veritable circus.

I do believe this isn't the first 10lb+ chub ever, there was one caught back in the autumn but the angler decided to keep it quiet

Well if it's just a bit of a fuzzy photo, or slightly out of focus it shouldn't detract from it's apparent size, even if the asthetics of the picture aren't that good.
I have to agree though, in these days of digital photography, i would have made sure i got at least one good one, even if it meant putting the fish back for a while to recover in between photo's.
If the fish turns out to be genuine though, i have to offer my warmest congratulations to the angler on the capture of such an historic fish.
Well done mate :)

Ian.

The now quite old SAA Chub list had these:
Weight Captor Location Month Year
1 10.13.00 P Morgan R. Wye Nov 1981
2 10.08.00 Grant Dunn Midlands gravel pit Nov 2006
3 10.08.00 Dr J Cameron R. Annan Jul 1955
4 10.08.00 W Cockburn R. Crane 1875

i heard this rumour a few days ago .
surely the most important thing with a fish of this magnitude is its 'welfare'.
i have caught big fish this year without a camera or with a camera with flat batteries and was told i should have rung someone and waited 15/20 for them to get there and photograph it .
personally i would not keep a fish for that long , sure i would have loved a picture but at what cost . i knew i caught it , i knew what it weighed and i can believe myself , if others choose not to believe that is there choice.
there is another thread on here about spooky barbel , are you really suprised when it becames acceptable to keep fish for more than the minimum amount of time ?
i read a report in the angling times this year where a guy had caught a big barbel and phoned his wife to take a picture , she had something like a 45 minute drive to the venue . i really thought that i would not be telling the world that.

anyway what a great fish and i am extremely envious ,but i do not think it will be long before another
10lb chub is caught.

richard

Thats fantastic news and well done to the captor. The Wye has got the potential to throw up numerous species to monsterous proportions. All I hope is that the photo's do the fish justice and the capture is recognised by the BRFC.

Thats a HUGE fish:eek: Congrats to the angler concerned.;)

Colin,I should be so lucky .lol .You cant catch fish without a bait in the water and I seem to be doing hardly any fishing at the moment. The joys of having a young family is leaving little time for fishing . But their worth it honest!!:) Once again though what a fish. Cant wait to see the photos

Nice story. I personally wouldn't give it any credence without some decent evidence & credible witnesses. Maybe it's true & maybe it ain't. Too many cases of mis-weighing (innocent or not) to bother about it overly.

I seem to remember the 10lb-er caught by Dr Cameron (1955) was the one he took home and gave to his neighbour to feed to her cats? :eek:

Richard, I quite happily held a Lea 7.15 chub in my landing net for a good 30-40 minutes while I waited for a friend to come and photograph it. And, if I get one bigger, I'll wait longer if necessary to get a decent photo of that one too.
As long as the fish isn't being held in an innappropriate flow, I see no problem with it. I've used my Queensford Retention System before for big chub, which does the job nicely. Just like a big landing net, except you don't have to hold it and can carry on fishing. :D

Absolutely,Simon.If i couldn't produce a couple of witnesses and a good picture,i'd keep quiet.For fear of making a mockery of the real record.

With respect, I have to take such reports with a pinch of salt... Hope it's geniune all the same! How often are poor photos or discrepancies with weights associated with record proportioned fish?

One chap I know has a theory about them always bring 1oz over some figure too. 10.01 seems so much more convincing than 10.00 :). And to add another pesdimistic comment, it's always in the tackle dealers interest to pass on such rumours, although they do turn out to be true sometimes eh!!

Just speaking generically here, know nothing about this instance or captor. Il look forwards to seeing some pics!

Andy

ps I would also have no qualms over retaining a fish for up to an hour for pics. Often rest fish for significant lengths of time anyway

It may or may not turn out to be a record but in this instance I would not question woody's integrity

cheers
Jason

Sounds great if true, a formal double Chub record would be great.

I would also have absolutely no qualms about retaining a fish under supervison whilst I awaited a pic, have been slated before on the old board regarding this subject though!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I know of one chub which held the record within recent years, which was caught several times by a very good specimen angler, it was a known fish and came out around the 8.02, 8.03 mark each time, generally in the same swim. Plenty of independant witnesses and some great photos.
Not too long after, another chap caught the same fish allegedly 3/4 of a mile upstream and, with a couple of his mates as witnesses claimed the record at 8.1?* (New Record by 1 whole ounce...). They duly had their scales checked as required, but of course, no independant witnesses.......

Must have been a localised Gravitational Anomaly. :rolleyes:

Similarly one of the biggest tench "captures" currently listed in the Top Ten, was allegedly not caught, but scooped out from the margin in a landing net while the guy was piking. The "captor" confessed this to a mutual friend.

I don't trust anything I hear on the grapevine.

* I haven't put the "record" weight to avoid identifying anyone directly.

Back