• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Perch

Time to get on the canal and lakes and catch them before they spawn....been fishing for them on the local canal recently and in the last couple of weeks they've turned into little footballs and are ravenous

Today had 10 fish for over 15lb on my local canal best going 2lb 15oz...with a surprise tench and proper bream amongst them top lobbing sport

But what I find once they spawn they tend to disapear till autumn, anyone else find it like this....on bait.... not spinners

Cheers
Jason

Well done Jason, nice perch 2lb 15oz, trust me I never have difficulty catching the bait robbing little ****es on lobs, in summer.
And not always small:eek: but never intentional:(.

Todays tench though, that's a proper fish!!

Last edited:
Nice one Jason, just started on the canal recently myself, but finding my feet and trying to locate the better fish on a new stretch.

Paul

Couldn't bring myself to rig up one of those critters mate; great pics though.

Had a very frustrating evening twitching worms, kept hooking up pike and getting busted and losing the odd hooked perch to nuisance pike. Finally managed to sneak one away from the jaws of esox at 2lbs 5oz.

017.jpg

Last edited:
Ruddy Norah,

Just had a look back at Paddy Leighs fish; bonkers session and love the looks on those kids faces, brilliant and well done Paddy. :D

Paul

Louis, would leave the newts alone, they are very much a protected species in the UK, you could get in real bother using them as bait. The perch are free to chomp away on them obviously though...........

Nice perch by the way, and for yourself Paul...........

Nice long fish there Paul.
Crooky, it's only the great crested newts that are protected....I prefer using baby frogs anyway.

I had a newt when I was a kid, I called it "Tiny", because it was Mi-newt :eek:

Last edited:
Very strong rumours of a new british record perch from the cotswold water park at 6lb 2oz, just waiting for confirmation and should be in papers this week. Taken on a large lure intended for pike; we shall see..:eek:

In this weeks Anglers Mail. Not the best picture in the world but a big kipper all the same!

Trevor

Back