• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Perch

Hi , Quite a few years ago I managed to land a brace of Perch at 7 lbs 12 oz from swarkstone on the trent , Both fish were caught while reeling in very small roach on the stick float and came within ten minutes of eachother , I remember both fish put up a hell of a fight on light gear ! On the same day i had 3 roach between 1.5 - 2.00 lbs and 30 lbs of roach around the 1 lbs mark , a day s fishing i will never forget !

Paul

ouse34.jpg

But to be honest it's not a patch on some of the Thames Fish that a few of the WBC lads talked about and showed pics of at one of the BS Regional meets. I was very pleased though.

James. Fantastic.

Last edited:
Another big 2, but my target for a river three is getting very tight with only this afternoons session to go before i throw the towel in and concentrate on the pits.

012.jpg

Had a quick session thursday and one this afternoon a fish each session,3lb and 3lb 10 respectively. Both on relatively new (to me) areas on the Kennet. Interestingly, the 3.10 had already spawned, very empty, 10 days ago would have made 4. I'll add the pic when my buddy for the day sends them to me.

Will,

Lovely fish mate, nice brace for the end of season. Was that on the lures or bait? I havent had much luck with lures this year!!:(

I'm thinking of getting an RDAA ticket for next season, as there seems to be some nice perch in a fair few locations along the K&A and the kennet itself, plus ive been wanting to fish the kennet for barbel for a few years now so it makes double sense. ;)

atb

Paul

Will

Iv only fished for Perch in the winter, I too will be getting a RDAA card this season for the Barbel and Perch, how does the kennet fish for Perch during the summer months? and how would you alter you tactics if at all?

Mark, Every stretch of the Kennet holds at least one 3lb+. As far as summer tactics....live baits will always work best even on the most clear high pressured days. In a slack area, a great presentation is paternoster using 2oz and one of those chunky middy pellet wagglers, just perfect for bleak or gudgeon up to 2 or 3 oz. In the summer this can be hair raising stuff as they really do smash and grab. A fast tapered 1.25 tc rod and 5, 6 or 7 lb line to a flouro hooklength should do well.
If you're not so sure of the pike population where you will be fishing, then of course, a wire trace needs to be used, do have a look at some of the lower diam multi strands. I have just been playing with some amazing trace material that got sent to me from the states ' Knot2kinky' it's called, basically a nickel coated titanium that pretty much behaves like rubber. I have been tying swivels and hooks straight on but when untied you wouldnt know it had been touched, remarkable stuff.

The most important thing though, is to not lose heart, stick it out in a perchy looking swim, perch can watch a tasty lob all day but not bite until the light fades considerably

Got my close season other species campaign started yesterday, this lady of 1.08 wasn't too long but very fat.

108160310.jpg

Nice one Jon, have you been bitten by the perch bug as well?

Unquestionably so, Paul.

Nice to be able to do something different and immediately catch some reasonable size of fish. Have a couple of waters to have a go at too in the vicinity. Will be having a few weeks off now though - keep Mrs E happy.

prawns

Chaps, ive found a small farm pond near home that hold some good perch for the area. Ive tried Lobs but im kept too busy with 4-8oz fish... and im struggling to catch anything really small enough to go into live bait territory.

tell me about prawns , ive heard they work well.

Will I have to break the bank and go for the large prawns ?

andy

Andy,

Havent tried prawns properly, but there does seem to be a few who do well on them. Think Mark Walters has used them.

Had a 1-10 and 2-4 yesterday afternoon on the lobs/sprayed mags.

Paul

Just a few from a big catch this weekend just gone... even the kids got in on the action :)

camperch.jpg

jplbigperch.jpg

palperch.jpg

All taken on lobworm over a 'carpet' of groundbait (to draw in the silvers) red maggot and casters..

Last edited:
Back