• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

new fishing jacket

Tony Byrne

Senior Member & Supporter
can anyone recommend a good light weight windproof and waterproof jacket
zip has just fell to bits on my old one

I can highly recommend Millitry1st for any of there clothing range, Helikon-Tex is superb Quality . They don't supply cheap Flea-bay rubbish.

I'll second that about the Military 1st gear and I'd get one of those jackets if I needed one.
ESP stuff made by Drennan is also excellent.
Got a Daiwa game wading jacket not long ago also excellent, 3/4 length also available.

The zip went on my jacket which was still good. So I took it into a backstreet tailors who put a new zip in for £12

The zip went on my jacket which was still good. So I took it into a backstreet tailors who put a new zip in for £12

Not bad for a new zip might do that because the jacket is still good thanks for the suggestions lads

Get yourself to TK Maxx. They have loads of skiing and outdoor jackets for cheap. Craighoppers, Helly Hansen etc.

I’d also go army gortex. Had mine 11 years. Paid 25 quid for coat and trousers although the trousers are a tad tight these days and I have tore them right on the bum so when it rains and there is a puddle on my chair I get a wet arse

This is worth a few minutes of your time if you want to understand waterproof ratings and breathability rates. Whilst specifically referring to skiing wear, it nevertheless can be applied to fishing scenarios.

https://www.evo.com/guides/outerwear-waterproof-ratings-and-breathability

For example, the MIL-TEC ECWCS JACKET WITH FLEECE OLIVE sold by Military 1st may look enticing, but isn't that waterproof nor is it very breathable according to the technical specifications discussed in the link I've attached.

We kitted all our club bailffs out with jackets from Military 1st. I notice they are offering a 15% Halloween discount at the moment. We also got a discount for our bulk buy.

Snugpak puffa Jacket. Mil goretex over the top. Or upgrade to snugpak salopettes and lol goretex trousers. Snug as and will last for years.

Snugpak , as Jon said above, are a great shout for warm lightweight jackets. I saw they are also offering a new waterproof version called the Torrent but it is very new on the market I believe.

I've just bought a Fox chunk hydro jacket...............

https://www.foxint.com/home/product/chunk-10k-hydro-jacket?c=clothing

Very impressed with the quality although it hasn't had a proper test in the rain yet.It's got good waterproof and breathable ratings and the XL is a loose fit for me so it's possible to use several layers in the winter.

It might be more than the OP wants to pay at £160rrp and most internet sites are selling them for around £130-£140 but the local angling shop has them on offer at £114.99 which I was happy to pay. :)

Back