• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New Drennan Acolyte

I'm not being pedantic, just saying that I very often use a 14ft rod when wading and other than having to stretch a little now and then, I have no problems netting fish.
i never use a net when wading, just hand line everything in the water.

I'm not being pedantic, just saying that I very often use a 14ft rod when wading and other than having to stretch a little now and then, I have no problems netting fish.

I know you do, but equally, you don't like 15'+ rods (for any purpose). I also know that you use a wading net with a longer handle that I'm remotely comfortable using. My wading net of choice is only fractionally longer than a traditional trout scoop net. I'm not comfortable using a rod longer than 13', but I make an exception for a single 13'6" rod. 14'ers are a step too far for my liking with the nets I choose to use when wading. There's absolutely zero chance of me using a 15'+ rod when wading.

It all boils down to personal preference. There's no right or wrong.
I find 12' rods pointless because I'd rather use 11 or 13' in every scenario I can think of.
Likewise, I find 14' pointless because I'd sooner use 13' or 15' in any angling scenario I expect to encounter.
I don't want anyone else to do the same, they are quite free to do whatever they want. I'm sure that for some folks, 12 and 14' rods will be their ideal float rod lengths. I do know I'm greatly relieved that I've little use for 12 and 14' rods. I've little enough storage room as it is!

Future fishing did a little video on them. You can sort of see them being compared with the lighter models

I barely recognised Tony, he's looking prosperous! 🤣

I remember when he first set-up and operated out of the other very basic unit just down the road. He would leave maggots and casters in a cool box so we could collect at the crack of sparrow, well before the shop opened in the morning. I remember thinking this lad is going to do well. What a business he has built-up. Hats off to him.

I know you do, but equally, you don't like 15'+ rods (for any purpose). I also know that you use a wading net with a longer handle that I'm remotely comfortable using. My wading net of choice is only fractionally longer than a traditional trout scoop net. I'm not comfortable using a rod longer than 13', but I make an exception for a single 13'6" rod. 14'ers are a step too far for my liking with the nets I choose to use when wading. There's absolutely zero chance of me using a 15'+ rod when wading.

It all boils down to personal preference. There's no right or wrong.
I find 12' rods pointless because I'd rather use 11 or 13' in every scenario I can think of.
Likewise, I find 14' pointless because I'd sooner use 13' or 15' in any angling scenario I expect to encounter.
I don't want anyone else to do the same, they are quite free to do whatever they want. I'm sure that for some folks, 12 and 14' rods will be their ideal float rod lengths. I do know I'm greatly relieved that I've little use for 12 and 14' rods. I've little enough storage room as it is!
I use 15’s when wading on the Trent a lot.
Often I’m waded out as far as I dare and still need the further reach to get onto my trot path and hold back hard without pulling the float off.
Also with the distances I trot for, keeping as much line off the water surface is obviously much better with a longer rod.
wading or not, I like long rods and do everything I can to make them work.

It’s the reason I’ve put together that wading table now. I don’t want to be carrying anything including tiny/almost useless nets for what I want to land and where.
It works really well I tried it out a couple weeks back in the mild spell and everything is to hand and nothing on my person. Including a 3m net pole which I’ve never waded with before…. Until now.

I use 15’s when wading on the Trent a lot.
Often I’m waded out as far as I dare and still need the further reach to get onto my trot path and hold back hard without pulling the float off.
Also with the distances I trot for, keeping as much line off the water surface is obviously much better with a longer rod.
wading or not, I like long rods and do everything I can to make them work.

It’s the reason I’ve put together that wading table now. I don’t want to be carrying anything including tiny/almost useless nets for what I want to land and where.
It works really well I tried it out a couple weeks back in the mild spell and everything is to hand and nothing on my person. Including a 3m net pole which I’ve never waded with before…. Until now.

I'd use a 15' rod if I could comfortably use a proper landing net when wading. However, the places I'm wading are either bedrock or cobbles. I've yet to find any way of securing a net and handle that I'm happy with.

I'd use a 15' rod if I could comfortably use a proper landing net when wading. However, the places I'm wading are either bedrock or cobbles. I've yet to find any way of securing a net and handle that I'm happy with.

The extending folder net I use would be ok for rods of 15ft.
These are great, but the net heads are solid.....

I showed you one when you were at our house.

Temptation got the better of me in the tackle shop yesterday and I came home with a 15 footer.

Just need the conditions to use it now. I doubt it will see any barbel action this season but hopefully some chub once the rivers return to normal.

Temptation got the better of me in the tackle shop yesterday and I came home with a 15 footer.

Just need the conditions to use it now. I doubt it will see any barbel action this season but hopefully some chub once the rivers return to normal.

I’ve ended up ordering a 13ft from eBay. There was 20% off then a £10 off voucher so just over £200. Will be a while before it gets a run out for the tench but hopefully I’ll try it out in the river before the end of the season.

I’m watching intently for the feed back on the speci rod on here. I run the plus side by side with the hi s power float in 13ft at the tackle shop today for me I just don’t see as much difference to warrant one over the other so keeping the hi s I have for now.

As I’m struggling to work out in my own head the uses and real world differences between the acolyte range and where my hi s sits.

Example the hi s and plus sit fairly similar other than the hi s has more power down in the but the plus seems to have more power in the mid section.

The ultra I get and may well be a good worth me looking to have a lighter flat rod in my range.

The carp wagler left me a little un sure probably like a plus in shorter form maybe ?

The new speci one if a beauty had a bend of it today I would even go to say it’s slightly more powerful than the Hi-s 13 but again it’s not night and day. If anything the hi s power float sits between the two but the power sits in alternative sections of the rod.

But overall still left a bit confused tbh it may be just me but I couldn’t see a clear difference in some of the range ( I was benchmarking all at 13 other than the speci I picked up the 11)

I basically want two float rods Silvers fun and small stuff (scratching in winter etc) then something for most of everything else perch chub tench crucian.

It be good to see what people think and reel world use of the acolyte range of float rods.

I look forward to hearing how it compares power wise to your original Hi S 15ft power float John.
That’s landed you alot of double figure barbel over the last few seasons, it would be interesting to see if you think the accy is as capable or indeed even better.

Back