• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New Drennan Acolyte

Thread here Steve

Hope they are better than the Free spirit 15 ft Hi S, that came out this year. Just a little bit undergunned for me.....

Had a look at the New Drennan Acolyte Specimen Float 14' yesterday and it does seem a bit more powerful than my Plus with
as previously mentioned that extra power in the lower section.
So I bought it but unfortunately as it's going to be a Xmas present from my wife I cannot get to use it yet so cannot report back.
Hopefully within a few days after Xmas I will be able to give my comments.

I picked up a 13 footer yesterday and had a waggle with it and the tackle shop owner let me put a bend in it with him holding the tip. I did not have time to stay and put another one together. He has the 14 and 15's in stock and I am keen enough to go back when I have a bit more time later in the week.

I do get the feeling I am going to be a few quid worse off by next weekend. 💷 I currently have a 15ft Hi-S (not the latest version) so feel I have the benchmark rod for comarison.

I have the current model Daiwa Connoisseur Pro Match 15ft for barbel. Much as I like the Acolyte's, the Specimen float rod is up against a rod that cost me £90.00 less. Look forward to hearing some reports from actual fishermen, rather than a video of a bloke in a shop. I'll no doubt be tempted by a used one, when the time comes.

I'd be more inclined to buy the Ultra for barbel and chub!

Had a look at the New Drennan Acolyte Specimen Float 14' yesterday and it does seem a bit more powerful than my Plus with
as previously mentioned that extra power in the lower section.
So I bought it but unfortunately as it's going to be a Xmas present from my wife I cannot get to use it yet so cannot report back.
Hopefully within a few days after Xmas I will be able to give my comments.
Put a £20.00 note on the hook and see what fight you get from the missus when she makes a lunge for it.👍
G.T.

Any reason why ?
It’s predominantly a light line silvers rod
Because I think there is a general trend for fishing with over-powerful rods and I don't think they are needed. To some it may feel like you are under-gunned, but I would rather experience a rod working with balanced tackle than looking at half of it doing nothing.
Looking at the curve on the Ultra it looks beautifully progressive.

Because I think there is a general trend for fishing with over-powerful rods and I don't think they are needed. To some it may feel like you are under-gunned, but I would rather experience a rod working with balanced tackle than looking at half of it doing nothing.

Do you use a ultra for barbel ?

Yeah, I’ve got some sympathy with what you’re saying Damian. I caught a small barbel on my 15’ Ultra on its first outing; it was brilliant, but I’m glad it wasn’t 6lb plus fish and in a fast and deep swim (I’ve also caught barbel on my 17’ Acolyte, and that is a rod with far more muscle than you’d imagine). In the end I decided that I didn’t want to risk hooking a barbel and not having the requisite power in the rod to force the issue if needed so the Ultra went and a more powerful rod was purchased to replace it. I’ve still got a Maver Sig Pro at 15’ which is perhaps more like an Acolyte Plus, and that is a nice rod for barbel too, but again, not always the best when you need to argue your point more forcefully with a fish 🙂

Totally agree. I’ve caught 5lb chub and small barbel 4lb-ish on the ultra when fishing for silvers and it’s not enjoyable.

Back