• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New Drennan Acolyte

I think we're all ready to wet a line - cabin fever springs to mind. Certainly that's me.
I stopped off at my stretch last week, having not been there since March 14th - everything in bloom, birds in full chorus and plenty to do on the forthcoming working party where we get to see mates and have a catch up, fantasise about the fish we're going to land in each peg and feed off each other's excitement.
But just being there last week and taking it all in......the world just felt a whole lot better😁

I'm not too sure about that regarding the 14ft specci and 13footer. I have kind'a took a shine to the 14ft speci rod over the 13footer because it feels that bit more powerful when i've been catching barbel with it. Same scenario with the 13 and 14ft sphere wagglers, I find the 14 footer to edge the 13 for power and control of barbel.
For power and control of harder fighting fish I have always prefered my 13ft rods in the past over a 14 footer, but in the case of those two rods my preference has switched round....atm at least lol.
How the 15ft speci compares to the 14 footer for power I have no idea, it may well be more powerful than the 14 in actual use?

Since getting the 12ft FS rod which feels less powerful than the 14 and 15 footers i'm a little confused with these rod builds and their power.
as a best guess and I claim to know no more than that, but I’d say…… assuming the carbon grade and resin content is equal between the 3 models then it’s really down to wall thickness, length and taper being the main 3 things that will determine how stiff the rod feels.
I won’t say powerful because I don’t believe that power in a rod is always judged by stiffness. The 15ft version to me felt very powerful indeed but I do think the 13ft version (for the much shorter time I handled this length of rod) felt stiffer
I haven’t touch the 14 so I’m guessing something between the two.

Regarding actual power or pressure that you can apply to the fish I’m unsure because the 13 being shorter should give you the leverage advantage but if it’s significantly stiffer than the longer rods then it could go either way. Only a full time user of them would know. I’m just speculating based on a quick pull around and afew scratty chub.

I think they are lovely rods I just don’t have a slot in my collection for any of them at the moment

Back