• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New Drennan Acolyte

Because I think there is a general trend for fishing with over-powerful rods and I don't think they are needed. To some it may feel like you are under-gunned, but I would rather experience a rod working with balanced tackle than looking at half of it doing nothing.
Looking at the curve on the Ultra it looks beautifully progressive.
I’m all up for balancing tackle Damian but there comes a point where we do need to think about the fish a little and select gear that stands a sporting chance of extracting them in a sensible time frame.

You are never hauling when you hook a barbel on the float despite how stepped up the rod is. A good capable rod will still have that progressive action and give you more sport than you can possibly want.

The plus would be the minimum strength action I’d recommend personally. The ultra is just not the tool.

... there comes a point where we do need to think about the fish a little ...

Well said, but I think you're being diplomatic with the words '...a little...'.

Maybe Damian has never used any Acolyte, because I have the Plus and if I hook a double figure fish on it, it bends right down to the handle.

These are not over-designed rods. I can't imagine, from comparing the specs to the Plus, that the Acolyte Specimen will be over-gunned for barbel.

If we trust the experience of a company like Drennan, they will have designed it to balance two things - to land a powerful fish efficiently and without exhausting it to the brink of death, while making it sensitive enough to provide the angler with enough feedback to do so, enjoyably.

I feel that Drennan's marketing has a lot to answer for when it comes to some perceptions of the Acolyte float rods. The fact that they brought the Ultras out first led many to believe that they were the standard match/float rod. The Plus arriving later was perceived by many to be a power version above that standard. I'm afraid that, as an owner of multiple lengths of both (Ultra/Plus), and a host of other float rods, I view the Plus as a modern standard rod and Ultra as a light (by modern standards) float rod. I use Acolyte Ultras when I'm fairly confident that I'm unlikely to catch much over 2lb or so. Of course that doesn't mean I've not landed bigger fish (low double carp, chub and tench around 5lb, brown trout over 4lb etc), but I'd take a Plus if I genuinely expected such fish. I've had trout and grayling (of no more than 2lb) fight to a standstill in water that's really pushing through. Whilst I'd have little fear for the rod, I'd wish I was using something else if I were hooking barbel of much more than 5lb or so.

I was bit bashing with an Acolyte Ultra when the following pictures were taken. The fish being played was an eel of no more than 2lb. I did land it, but it led me a merry dance. I was only using a light hooklink and avoiding giving it stick until I had no choice. You can still see how well hooped over the rod is, particularly in the second picture.
fishing 1.jpg

fishing 2.jpg

Baring the 11ft ultra, all my acolytes are gone now. The 15’6 sphere will do anything the 15ft plus or ultra will do and a lot better at it too. (In my opinion)
Only used it once on Saturday but caught chub all day of all sizes on it. It’s nothing short of beautiful to catch fish on

Last edited:
I’m all up for balancing tackle Damian but there comes a point where we do need to think about the fish a little and select gear that stands a sporting chance of extracting them in a sensible time frame.

You are never hauling when you hook a barbel on the float despite how stepped up the rod is. A good capable rod will still have that progressive action and give you more sport than you can possibly want.

The plus would be the minimum strength action I’d recommend personally. The ultra is just not the tool.

I would posit, Richard, that unless fishing in very heavy flow, or with very light line, the softness of a rod will not be a limiting factor in how long it takes to land a fish - in fact, I tend to go the opposite way and consider that the softness of a through action rod with balanced tackle will subdue a fish quicker than does a rod that stops bending at around the half way point. Some people I think tend to view the progressive stiffness of a rod as power because they are more inclined at that point a rod stops or slows flexing to feel more directly connected to the power of a lunge, but it is that continued flexibility of a rod that plays a fish quicker in my mind.
I would have to get my gear together but I would like to hazard an informed guess that my winter chub rod would deflect under a 5 ounce load more than that Ultra in that vid, yet in reasonably open water with a reasonable flow 6lb+ chub just have no idea!

I would posit, Richard, that unless fishing in very heavy flow, or with very light line, the softness of a rod will not be a limiting factor in how long it takes to land a fish - in fact, I tend to go the opposite way and consider that the softness of a through action rod with balanced tackle will subdue a fish quicker than does a rod that stops bending at around the half way point. Some people I think tend to view the progressive stiffness of a rod as power because they are more inclined at that point a rod stops or slows flexing to feel more directly connected to the power of a lunge, but it is that continued flexibility of a rod that plays a fish quicker in my mind.
I would have to get my gear together but I would like to hazard an informed guess that my winter chub rod would deflect under a 5 ounce load more than that Ultra in that vid, yet in reasonably open water with a reasonable flow 6lb+ chub just have no idea!
A lot of that I agree with entirely….A rod designed to tame big fish needs to bend.
I definitely want a rod that bends right through when I’m playing a big fish.

I certainly wouldn’t pick a poker to do the job but I would pick a rod with more strength than an ultra.
That doesn’t mean a stiff rod but a rod that won’t break or bottom out before 6-8lb lines does.

The acolye ultra bends so easily under a small amount of pressure, it’s going to reach its lock up point long before 6lb line will let go then it’s going to break. It doesn’t have the strength to play a big fish in the middle of its power curve. Your just going to bottom it out straight away and likely smash it or let the fish run riot

Got a message from my local tackle shop earlier today letting me know my 13ft specimin acolyte had been delivered.
I've just got back home after popping over for to the shop and picking it up.
I just assembled it and compared it next to a 13ft plus and it is an altogether stiffer blank for sure, but still retains a soft enough tip.
It feels very light with a superfast action, I think drennan have done an excellent job coming up with this rod!
If it fishes as good as it feels I will most likely be getting a 14footer also.

Last edited:
I just weighed the rod out of interest and on my kitchen scales it was 167grms.
I think the scales are working ok, but they may not be perfect.
That’s pretty good considering it’s a power float. It’s afew grams lighter than my avenger 3000 at 13ft. That’s 170g so the acolyte is a very good weight for what it’s intended to do

That’s pretty good considering it’s a power float. It’s afew grams lighter than my avenger 3000 at 13ft. That’s 170g so the acolyte is a very good weight for what it’s intended to do

I can't swear to it that the scales are exactly right, i'm hoping they though.

After having a waggle of the rod, first impressions are, it feels more powerful and has a faster action than the normarks. The mid section is noticably stiffer....jmo of course.
Unfortunately i don't think i'll be able to get out in the near future to give the rod a try, the weather forecast is higher temp's than of late, which is great, but there's lots of rain forecast also, which is likely to put the rivers out of sorts.

Last edited:
I can't swear to it that the scales are exactly right, i'm hoping they though.

After having a waggle of the rod, first impressions are, it feels more powerful and has a faster action than the normarks. The mid section is noticably stiffer....jmo of course.
Unfortunately i don't think i'll be able to get out in the near future to give the rod a try, the weather forecast is higher temp's than of late, which is great, but there's lots of rain forecast also, which is likely to put the rivers out of sorts.
I’m really glad they kept the fast action in the tip. That and the weight is where they shine.

That’s going make it really sweet to trot with I
Look forward to hearing more.
I don’t think I’ll be buying one. I really need to move some more on first it’s getting ridiculous with the amount I have and never use.
I’ve shifted 3 now. I could do another 3 easy.

I’m really glad they kept the fast action in the tip. That and the weight is where they shine.

I don’t think I’ll be buying one. I really need to move some more on first it’s getting ridiculous with the amount I have and never use.

Yea Richard, I could do with letting some rods go myself, you could call me a hoarder, but in my defence, I know of a few "professional rod hoarders" 😁, that make my collection look very meagre!

Yea Richard, I could do with letting some rods go myself, you could call me a hoarder, but in my defence, I know of a few "professional rod hoarders" 😁, that make my collection look very meagre!
The guy I recently bought my sphere from I would say had the most impressive collection of rods I’ve ever seen. All 3 walls and ceiling of his lovely heated garage was just cladded in carbon…….

It might sound like I am a bit of a hoarder or an old romantic, but I really enjoy keeping old rods and wish I hadn't let some of the ones I'd had go. They're like windows into passed times and glories come flooding back with just having them in the hand. Some rods I feel sometimes are works of art, not the fixtures and fittings but the blank itself - it's like they speak to you and have a character all of their own!

It might sound like I am a bit of a hoarder or an old romantic, but I really enjoy keeping old rods and wish I hadn't let some of the ones I'd had go. They're like windows into passed times and glories come flooding back with just having them in the hand. Some rods I feel sometimes are works of art, not the fixtures and fittings but the blank itself - it's like they speak to you and have a character all of their own!

Totally on board with that Damian, I feel like some rods have soul and others dont. They might be technically great or similar in spec but it doesn't mean they're nice to use or play a fish on.

I wouldn't mind one of these stepped up acolytes in 13ft for some tench fishing. Whilst I don't like using heavier rods than necessary I also wouldn't want to be losing a 8/9lb tench straight in to a sea of Canadian pond weed.

Yeah I completely get that.
There’s definitely rods I own that if the kids don’t want to actually use, they are going in the furnace with me when the time comes that’s for sure. Like custom builds or rare rods that can’t be replaced
I do have a lot that I see as nothing more than tools to do a job like my Drennans and Daiwas etc

These I’m happy to thin out on when the need arises.

Yeah I completely get that.
There’s definitely rods I own that if the kids don’t want to actually use, they are going in the furnace with me when the time comes that’s for sure. Like custom builds or rare rods that can’t be replaced
I do have a lot that I see as nothing more than tools to do a job like my Drennans and Daiwas etc

These I’m happy to thin out on when the need arises.
Not the Drennan"s Rich that's your pension or the kid's school fees..
♥️Drennan.

I used to hoard rods, now just keep rods that I use regularly. After lots of wheeling and dealing I've settled on the rods that are best for me.

Rods are to be fished with not sat gathering dust in the tackle room. Move them on and let someone else have the pleasure of using them. At least that's how I now see it.

Totally on board with that Damian, I feel like some rods have soul and others dont. They might be technically great or similar in spec but it doesn't mean they're nice to use or play a fish on.

I wouldn't mind one of these stepped up acolytes in 13ft for some tench fishing. Whilst I don't like using heavier rods than necessary I also wouldn't want to be losing a 8/9lb tench straight in to a sea of Canadian pond weed.
My original drennan super tench 12’9” ….now that has soul!

Back