• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New Drennan float rods

Alan Palmer

Senior Member & Supporter
My local tackle shop is ordering some of these, just been released - stepped up acolyte plus models ….sounds interesting.
Apparently there are new twin tip barbel rods in the pipeline too, along with other dedicated river tackle. No other details yet

I wonder what they weigh. All the other Acolytes make a big deal about that. Good to see there's a 15' option.

The line ratings on the accy plus's is a bit of a let down at 7lb, the current plus's are 6lb plus and the 12ft carp wagglers are 7lb plus mainlines.
Going off the line ratings alone there is hardly any difference!

The line ratings on the accy plus's is a bit of a let down at 7lb, the current plus's are 6lb plus and the 12ft carp wagglers are 7lb plus mainlines.
Yeah I know! I thought that too. Hope they don't end up as neither summat or nothing (not that I'm queuing up to buy one just yet).

Yeah I know! I thought that too. Hope they don't end up as neither summat or nothing (not that I'm queuing up to buy one just yet).

I'm hoping they are a more powerful rod, i'll have a nosey at one and see how it feels.
I can't see any mention of the rods weights?

I wonder what they weigh. All the other Acolytes make a big deal about that. Good to see there's a 15' option.

Had a bit of a run in with Drennan over their claimed rod weights.

My 13ft Ultra was supposed to weigh 135g. When I put it on the scales it came in at 152g. Drennan took it back, said the mid and tip were within tolerances and gave me a new butt section. They went through all their stock and managed to find their lightest one, but it was only 1g less than the original I sent back.

Yes, they’re light, but not always as light as their numbers would have you believe.

Had a bit of a run in with Drennan over their claimed rod weights.

My 13ft Ultra was supposed to weigh 135g. When I put it on the scales it came in at 152g. Drennan took it back, said the mid and tip were within tolerances and gave me a new butt section. They went through all their stock and managed to find their lightest one, but it was only 1g less than the original I sent back.

Yes, they’re light, but not always as light as their numbers would have you believe.
I can well believe it, and while I wouldn't quibble a few grammes, that's a 17g difference! I had a similar thing with a Cadence CR10 11' #1 that was meant to be something like 138g and actually weighed 152g. They changed the stated weight on their website to 148g after the guy I bought it from made them check!

It's an odd one, because two rice cakes weigh 10g, so it's nothing really. Nevertheless, you'd think that if you were going to make a song and dance about the rods being so light you'd at least make sure it was consistent.

Perhaps putting all the weights on your products is just making a "rod" for your own back...

Taxi for Alan!!!

A right anti climax on paper. Look forward to someone getting their mitts on one though

I’d pay no attention to the line ratings and reserve judgment until handled.
7lb or even 8lb line will land anything that swims if the rod is right
Look at normark avengers …. No one in the right mind would put 8lb through one of them but they’ll land any barbel that swims. Kieth spheres proved that.

Let’s see what they are really like.

Look at normark avengers …. No one in the right mind would put 8lb through one of them but they’ll land any barbel that swims. Kieth spheres proved that.

I agree, line rating is just a guidance and doesn't mean too much.
And, errr, although I only had the normark avengers (original one with sliding band) for a short period, I did put 8lb line on it and I don't feel any problem.

Apparently this is what one of the testers alluded to, I know it’s all sales patter but there’s not much gear Drennan puts out which isn’t fit for purpose (that I’ve used anyway) IMO. But will wait to see ‘in the flesh’

I agree, line rating is just a guidance and doesn't mean too much.
And, errr, although I only had the normark avengers (original one with sliding band) for a short period, I did put 8lb line on it and I don't feel any problem.

I put 6lb direct to the hook through my normark avenger. The 6lb mono is estimated to break at around 8lbs, so you could say I put 8lb mono through it.

They were rated to 8lb though.

Last edited:
I put 6lb direct to the hook through my normark avenger. The 6lb mono is estimated to break at around 8lbs, so you could say I put 8lb mono through it.
Well, I need to test the breaking strain of the line I am using...but normally 8lb breaks at 10-12?
There’s no need to.
Balance the tackle with the rods action. 6lb or 0.20 is the maximum I’d ever need to put through any avenger.
Yes, my 8lb line is 0.21mm, I normally go with line diameters instead of breaking strain.

Back