• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

mortimer & whitehouse gone fishing

yeah, the series is definitely a grower, each episode gets better, really enjoyed the series,
as an angler just getting back into angling after a while away from the bank,its really inspired me to get back out there and enjoy it again.
well done bbc.

(a year on from the last comment, which was about about series 1)

This fantastic series was just as good in Series 2 I thought.

And it was part of the charm of it that Bob Mortimer seems to get worse as an angler with each episode. A bit like me in that respect :). In the very last episode of series 2 (last Friday), Bob even admits to Paul what has become more and more obvious - he loves getting out to the countryside, and obviously the thrill of catching, but doesn't really like the concentration and effort of the actual fishing itself! Which makes me think that'll be it, and there probably won't be a series 3.

For the last episode, they were on £45-a-day aristocratic fly water on the Ure in Wensleydale (AKA Yoredale, after the Ure), in pursuit of grayling, but had obtained special dispensation for Bob to trot maggots ... and even then the only grayling they almost had (lost at the net) was when Bob handed over the float rod to Paul.

Anyway, it was one of the most beautiful episodes scenically, and (here's the advert on behalf of my club) I just wanted to let all you good chaps know that for £50 a year, instead of £45 a day, you can fish the same river just two or three miles away at Middleham, where the scenery is just as good and the pubs FANTASTIC. The trout, chub and grayling are reasonably populous, easy to catch on maggot and worm, and the odd barbel is landed. There's miles of it up there on the Leeds & DASA yearbook, along with all the other fantastic Yorkshire stretches on the book. A superb "weekend-away" venue in area that has lots of attractions for family, etc. Castles, theme park, waterfalls, racing stables...

And it just doesn't get fished enough. You probably won't see another angler.

Last edited:
(a year on from the last comment, which was about about series 1)

This fantastic series was just as good in Series 2 I thought.

And it was part of the charm of it that Bob Mortimer seems to get worse as an angler with each episode. A bit like me in that respect :). In the very last episode of series 2 (last Friday), Bob even admits to Paul what has become more and more obvious - he loves getting out to the countryside, and obviously the thrill of catching, but doesn't really like the concentration and effort of the actual fishing itself! Which makes me think that'll be it, and there probably won't be a series 3.

For the last episode, they were on £45-a-day aristocratic fly water on the Ure in Wensleydale (AKA Yoredale, after the Ure), in pursuit of grayling, but had obtained special dispensation for Bob to trot maggots ... and even then the only grayling they almost had (lost at the net) was when Bob handed over the float rod to Paul.

Anyway, it was one of the most beautiful episodes scenically, and (here's the advert on behalf of my club) I just wanted to let all you good chaps know that for £50 a year, instead of £45 a day, you can fish the same river just two or three miles away at Middleham, where the scenery is just as good and the pubs FANTASTIC. The trout, chub and grayling are reasonably populous, easy to catch on maggot and worm, and the odd barbel is landed. There's miles of it up there on the Leeds & DASA yearbook, along with all the other fantastic Yorkshire stretches on the book. A superb "weekend-away" venue in area that has lots of attractions for family, etc. Castles, theme park, waterfalls, racing stables...

And it just doesn't get fished enough. You probably won't see another angler.
Thanks for the insight Graham. I love a bit of Grayling trotting and have some annual leave left and once my Missus's mum is recovered from her stroke I might well be looking into a trip👍

Thanks Graham,

I’ve been thinking for a while that I should perhaps start looking east to the other side of the Pennines for some angling pastures new - your post has given me some real food for thought. I could get to Middleham in 1.75hrs on a good crack of sparrow run.

I'm still watching it, but I have to confess that Bob's inability to master the the basics of playing a fish is starting to grate a bit. I know five year olds that can master not reeling against a running clutch. Due to this frustration, his childlike enthusiasm is slowly transitioning from being endearing to slightly irritating, maybe even a bit contrived.

P.S. If anyone would prefer to fish the Swale for grayling, Richmond And District Angling Society has miles of the higher reaches available on a day ticket. If you are really unlucky, you might bump into me. If you ask nicely, outside of a few months in spring, there's a fair chance I'd be able to show you round.

I'm still watching it, but I have to confess that Bob's inability to master the the basics of playing a fish is starting to grate a bit. I know five year olds that can master not reeling against a running clutch. Due to this frustration, his childlike enthusiasm is slowly transitioning from being endearing to slightly irritating, maybe even a bit contrived.

P.S. If anyone would prefer to fish the Swale for grayling, Richmond And District Angling Society has miles of the higher reaches available on a day ticket. If you are really unlucky, you might bump into me. If you ask nicely, outside of a few months in spring, there's a fair chance I'd be able to show you round.

Hi Chris, the one thing that really bugs me, is that Paul still hasn't shown Bob how to hold the rod/cast properly. Letting go with the hand nearest the reel whilst casting, and hanging on with the other at the butt. ??? Basics to teach a beginner surely.

Really ? Lighten up lads .... it’s been a brilliant show for me
It’s not about the fishing , technique or lack of , the fishing is incidental to the feel of the programme

I’ve loved every episode , they have captured the atmosphere perfectly.

2 mates enjoying each other’s company and a day out

Maybe some of you lot should try it ?

To me this isn't a fishing programme at all, the fishing is incidental. Two old friends who have recovered from two possible life threatening conditions. Paul has accepted that Bob is never going to be a keen fisherman and is happy to simply share his company and have a few laughs on the riverbank. The scenery is a lovely backdrop and I have laughed at their antics, not to be taken too seriously me thinks....😀

I absolutely love it : the gentle humour, the life reflections, and the stunning scenery, but Bob’s lack of progression and in some episodes the total or near total lack of fish, are two ways in which it could be improved. I still think many non anglers struggle to understand the point of fishing, especially when you catch nowt ! I’m not looking for a bagging up session every week though and endless get ins, back of the net, smashed it .............

Best program on TV this year for me. My wife and friends (all non-anglers) love it too.

Mortimer and Whitehouse, for me, are two of the funniest guys of their generation and they work so well together. Yes Bob is a complete tool when it comes to fishing, but it’s still a great watch. The episode on the tweed and the tribute at the end was so touching and very sad.

I’d like to see series 3, but they’ll probably need to go abroad for it to continue?

I met them both on the Royalty yesterday. I think they were doing a radio interview for TalkSport from the bank, plugging the new series. I’m a huge fan of Mortimer’s comedy, have been since the early Shooting Stars episodes. He does a football podcast, which features very little actual football chat, it’s basic his comedy without the reigns of the BBC, it’s brilliant. Athletico Mince, for any of you podcasters. I can also recommend the book that accompanies the tv show, the missus read it it too and enjoyed it. I’d imagine the people who didn’t enjoy the show won’t appreciate the book either though!

They were both really nice, Bob even came across as a bit shy, but that could’ve been a response to my crazy fan reaction...

Attachments

• 401BD2F5-6047-409E-A832-F2921CD9300F.jpeg
    401BD2F5-6047-409E-A832-F2921CD9300F.jpeg
    236.7 KB · Views: 316
Back