• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

mortimer & whitehouse gone fishing

I met them both on the Royalty yesterday. I think they were doing a radio interview for TalkSport from the bank, plugging the new series. I’m a huge fan of Mortimer’s comedy, have been since the early Shooting Stars episodes. He does a football podcast, which features very little actual football chat, it’s basic his comedy without the reigns of the BBC, it’s brilliant. Athletico Mince, for any of you podcasters. I can also recommend the book that accompanies the tv show, the missus read it it too and enjoyed it. I’d imagine the people who didn’t enjoy the show won’t appreciate the book either though!

They were both really nice, Bob even came across as a bit shy, but that could’ve been a response to my crazy fan reaction...

Re Athletico Mince, it takes some getting in to; however the Peter Beardsle stuff, is some of the greatest comedy ever!

Not seen the new series yet, but looking forward to it.

RE Athletico Mince - I have absolutely no interest in or knowledge of football (or sport in general for that matter), but it's one of my favourite comedy things. By about episode 8 or 9 they've all but completely dropped "proper" football talk (and it's arguable that it was ever there in the first place), and even though football players and managers are regularly namechecked, they're basically just characters that are so far removed from reality (I'm guessing) they may as well be different, completely fictional people.

Andy Parsons (who is the main man behind it - it's basically his podcast) is a bit of a divisive character. I don't mind him, but some others REALLY don't like him. Bob's obviously a comedy juggernaut and his mind works in ways that few other people can even come close to approaching, so almost anyone other than Vic Reeves is going to come off as a lesser participant. But he tries his best and lets Bob run wild with whatever he wants to run with, so he deserves some props.

The podcast is on a "hiatus" at the moment as Andy got into a spot of trouble a few months ago after saying some less than flattering things about Michael Gove on Twitter (don't worry - politics don't get much coverage on the podcast).

Not seen the new series yet, but looking forward to it.

RE Athletico Mince - I have absolutely no interest in or knowledge of football (or sport in general for that matter), but it's one of my favourite comedy things. By about episode 8 or 9 they've all but completely dropped "proper" football talk (and it's arguable that it was ever there in the first place), and even though football players and managers are regularly namechecked, they're basically just characters that are so far removed from reality (I'm guessing) they may as well be different, completely fictional people.

Andy Parsons (who is the main man behind it - it's basically his podcast) is a bit of a divisive character. I don't mind him, but some others REALLY don't like him. Bob's obviously a comedy juggernaut and his mind works in ways that few other people can even come close to approaching, so almost anyone other than Vic Reeves is going to come off as a lesser participant. But he tries his best and lets Bob run wild with whatever he wants to run with, so he deserves some props.

The podcast is on a "hiatus" at the moment as Andy got into a spot of trouble a few months ago after saying some less than flattering things about Michael Gove on Twitter (don't worry - politics don't get much coverage on the podcast).

Have never listened to it, but I do find Andy Parsons very funny, although I no idea he was considered a divisive character!

When I lived in Nottingham for a few years, about 25 years go, I used to regularly go to a midweek comedy night hosted by a young Ross Noble and Andy Parsons at The Malt Cross, £2 on the door and cheap pub prices..it was brilliant value. They were just started their careers then..long before they ever featured on tv

Whitehouse and Mortimer certainly divide opinions.

I like the humanity, humour and simple pleasure of it but there's not much detail for the ardent fishing enthusiast - they do get to fish some amazing venues though and I'm really glad there are no rig diagrams or boilie recipes.

In defence of Andy Parsons, if you said anything at all about Michael Gove it would be difficult to be anything other than unflattering.

That Paul gave the rod to Bob so he could experience what it felt like to play a salmon! Something that a lot of us may never experience, and a fish of 10,000 casts! I am way too cynical, but I really think it was a genuine gesture of friendship. I'm proud to say I've done it a few times( and one was a 20+ pike) and it's special to share the moment and experience.

Not fishing - but to clarify this discussion

Having decided to listen to Athletico Mince I have found that it is indeed Bob Mortimer but the other half of this podcast is Andy Dawson (not Andy Parsons !).

Yes, thanks for clarification Neil - I always get Parsons and Dawson's names mixed up.

SPOILER ALERT (Maybe!)

Did everybody spot the glaring continuity error in this week’s episode, in the double hook up scene? Bob is attached to a pike on what looks like a duplon handled rod, with a white reel, maybe a Stradic. Cut to Bob telling Paul he’s not winding and he’s holding a cork handled rod with a black reel. Back to him holding the first rod again, then there’s another shot of him with the cork handled rod and it’s finally landed on the first rod again. It made me laugh, and at least his fish wasn’t apparently hooked on one rod and landed on another. I hate myself sometimes.
As for having Bob Mortimer as a fishing companion, I veer between thinking I’d either spend the time laughing so much I’d never catch anything or want to drown him instantly. Is he really still that inept with handling the kit? When he picks up the rod to hook into his pike, he is still grabbing the butt of the rod. Sometimes it’s comedy gold though. The bit in the Tay episode where he manages to hit Paul on the head with the rod attempting the double Spey cast is just priceless!

SPOILER ALERT (Maybe!)

Did everybody spot the glaring continuity error in this week’s episode, in the double hook up scene? Bob is attached to a pike on what looks like a duplon handled rod, with a white reel, maybe a Stradic. Cut to Bob telling Paul he’s not winding and he’s holding a cork handled rod with a black reel. Back to him holding the first rod again, then there’s another shot of him with the cork handled rod and it’s finally landed on the first rod again. It made me laugh, and at least his fish wasn’t apparently hooked on one rod and landed on another. I hate myself sometimes.
As for having Bob Mortimer as a fishing companion, I veer between thinking I’d either spend the time laughing so much I’d never catch anything or want to drown him instantly. Is he really still that inept with handling the kit? When he picks up the rod to hook into his pike, he is still grabbing the butt of the rod. Sometimes it’s comedy gold though. The bit in the Tay episode where he manages to hit Paul on the head with the rod attempting the double Spey cast is just priceless!
This week's offering on the Wye will delight the continuity pedants. Different rods and different reels during the same fight sequence. Couldn't comment on the 'banter' bits as I fast forwarded through the non-fishing bits. Interesting to see Mr Bob touch ledgering. Not a technique I'd expect to see from someone who presents himself as an inexperienced angler. More like someone playing a part.......

I love them both the chemistry is priceless couple of blokes having a great laugh with some fishing thrown in I would LOVE to have a days fishing with them what a laugh it would be !
and for me its right up there with the best ever fishing programs ever made

Back