• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

mortimer & whitehouse gone fishing

Hi Guys
I was with Bob and Paul when they were fishing at Throop.
It's not really a full on fishing programme but two guys that had some trauma in their lives, I was not sure about the first program, but I liked the other two, great banter and the pair of them should now be life long friends

Lumberjack.
Only one I laughed at.

I will look at ep 3. Just returned crom a place called Salford. Nosebleed from going too far North.

I missed the first episode and after reading a few bits and pieces across the angling forums I downloaded the first expecting to be disappointed

it certainly isn't a fishing programme in the old sense of the word , ie Wilson , hayes etc , but things move on

Ive now caught up and enjoyed them all , its nothing too serious or snobby , just two old mates enjoying time together on the bank and having a laugh , that what we all do isn't it ?

a bonus for me is there aren't any 'cockey geezers' or Essex accents giving it the big I am and shouting GET IN !!!! every time a fish slips over the net

whats not to like about that ?

You'll get your passport revoked Graham, for comments like that.
I am coming down your way in September. Can you remind me what "jabs" I need ?
Mike

I think it’s a nice little programme, I wouldn’t rush home to watch it shoving the kid off the sofa in the process to rid myself of Mr Tumble (or would I, just to rid myself of Tumble) :D but in seriousness. It’s a nice thing to have on catch up to sit down for half hour and have a breather in your day.

Lumberjack.
Only one I laughed at.

I will look at ep 3. Just returned crom a place called Salford. Nosebleed from going too far North.

Ha Ha Ha ! G, you was about 20 mins from mine, a pot of tea/coffee, with a bowl of scouse and crusty bread :D:D:D
What was ya doing there ??? Did ya get kidnapped by somali pirates, or was ya chasing ya hub caps :eek::D:p:D:eek:

Last edited:
Ha Ha Ha ! G, you was about 20 mins from mine, a pot of tea/coffee, with a bowl of scouse and crusty bread :D:D:D
What was ya doing there ??? Did ya get kidnapped by somali pirates, or was ya chasing ya hub caps :eek::D:p:D:eek:

Doing up my newly married daughters garden (after painting the house a month ago)in Salford.

She is Doctor now working at Salford General Hosp. On her 3rd bike.

Back in Aug to see a foreign language show called "Cilla" .

Allow 2 days for your M5 M6 M62 journey end of month!

I've been a fan of Vic Reeves/Mortimer since the ' Big Night Out' many years ago and a lot of the material is surreal/ plain daft. I think you either get it or you don't. I struggle with a lot of modern humour that my kids find hilarious. No rights & wrongs though.
As a TV programme I still think it's a breath of fresh air. As much as I love fishing I cannot watch Robson Greene - just can't do, I get too vexxed but I bet others think hes the nuts. Though yet to meet one :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Missed the first episode but have really enjoyed episodes 2 and 3. There is something gentle and almost profound about it in places as it connects a sense of mortality with the timeless beauty of the river and the landscape it occupies. The banter and warmth between them feels authentic and I think at times it really captures the spirit of fishing, it’s great joy and sometimes it’s frustration. Both the Wye’s looked stunning in their autumn clothes and I particularly liked how they blended the banter with glimpses of wildlife and the surrounding landscape.

I do enjoy my solitary fishing but fishing with mates can be an absolute blast. Wonder how many of us have fished with friends or relatives, novices at fishing but eager to experience something different. I thought Bob captured that really well- from his casting technique, the way he held the rod and then his boyish excitement at hooking a fish. And not to mention completely ignoring the instruction not to reel in.

It’s not perfect but who cares- its half an hour of fishing escapism.

Here's one for the scrapbook.
Paul Whitehouse Bob Mortimer and Me.jpg

Great picture. Caught up with episode 2 & 3 after reading this thread. Being of simialr age and also having had a 'trauma' I can apprecaite the melancholy and realisation of mortality, which runs through the programme along with the general piss taking that did have me laughing in parts. The fishing is sort of secondary but again quite funny with Bob's wide eyed innocence and excitement a pleasure to see; shall watch the rest if only for the great venues they are fishing.

Best ever programme since PASSION, IMHO, Well done Paul and Bob, its whats fishing is all about. A laugh, and pure enjoyment with a friend or two, on the banks of a river. Catching comes second, to just being there, any fish are a bonus in my eyes. But when they do happen to turn up, its an absolute bonus. Well done guys, A joy to watch. Its TV like this ( JW ) that inspired me to first wet a line. Hopefully, you will inspire the next generation of youngsters.

Back