• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

mortimer & whitehouse gone fishing

I thought it was really poor, too much ad libbing which I didn’t find funny and for balance I loved both of their comedy work back in the day

I watched some of the first episode before turning it off, I didn't expect a programme just about fishing that would be to much to ask from the BBC but I just didn't like this programme, wont be viewing any more.

I thought it was alright, Wilson used to pop off to visit local breweries and what-not, in that sense of was no different.
Certainly better than the cockney korda crew programs and that god awful fishing impossible.
I don't think it was ever meant to be a hardcore fishing program, these two are probably on BBC contracts and have to be shoehorned into programs. Makes a change from "*insert celebrity* goes to *insert foreign country*"

Just watched episode 2, and to me, its just 2 old friends, who could/should possibly be dead, enjoying nature at its best ( sitting by a river ). Granted, its not PASSION FOR ANGLING Mark 2, but just two guys enjoying the extra time they've been granted on this planet, doing what most of us on this forum enjoy. FISHING. Good luck to them both. I enjoyed it anyway, even if others didn't.

I think the BBC don't want to go all out on a limb and do another fishing, just fishing series of , for fear of upsetting the anti's so they have to have a production that carries an underlying Government Heath Warning, and this instance it's heart disease. Nothing at all wrong with that if it can save just one life, we are more open about health issues now then ever before.

I think however the BBC in this instance has pulled it off, and the sincere delight Bob showed in catching his first Barbel was a joy, and to share that buzz that we have with others is fantastic. I found the chemistry between the two genuine, and as far as I am concerned witty and funny, and it mirrors my childish sense of humour too.

Passion is a one off, a bit like England winning the World Cup, it will never happen again, perhaps things like that are never emulated you cannot improve perfection.

Watched the Wye/Barbel one - even better. Such beautiful scenery and magnificent fish. It looked like Bob really got ' it' when he felt the power of that fish - their faces said it all and reminded me of so many scenarios with me and my pals when a special fish has been hooked.
Doesn't matter how famous or wealthy, angling is a great leveller and I hope I have half the fun and excitement when I go to the Wye later this year.
Really makes me smile - I can understand others not getting Bob's mannerisms/surreal humour but it takes all sorts.
I liked Passion but can never forgive or forget Bob or Chris (can't remember which one) sneaking out early and fishing off his mates back to land 2 awesome river pike. A most heinous crime IMHO.

I dont normally watch TV fishing programmes, but after being informed that the second episode was on the Wye, I picked it up on I player. Quite enjoyed it, plus, I got to see the length that I will be fishing in 8 days time, it looks very nice , so I think I may already have my swim picked for Saturday evening, even though I have not physically visited the place as yet !

Dave

Dave,
Don't ignore the river at the bottom of the garden. With the river low, the river close to your bank is deep and fast flowing, so well oxygenated.
Mike

Just caught up with Episode 2. Loved every minute and 30 weren't enough. Shows what fishing CAN be like with a good companion. Banter, nature, beer, laughter and fishing. Not necessarily in that order...
Bob latching into his first barbel was epic, and the excitement was palpable. Paul, "stop winding, stop winding"! Bob having a smirk at his being told.
Paul in the middle of the river with a two handed salmon rod, class and skill.
Here's to Episode 3. :)
I have noted that the heading is Series 1. :)

Series has been great so far . The banter between them is great but i really love the randomness (is that even a word?) of Bob's questions to Paul. Should there be more fishing? yes, do i care? no. The 30 mins run time passes way too fast. Totally enjoyable...
I find it strange the differences of opinion regarding this show as in this thread everybody seems to enjoy the show yet the thread on 'Other species fishing' it gets slated, almost everyone who has commented does not seem to be of the same opinion as us lot...(?)

Back