• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Is it me? Is it real?

Mike As we know killing otters and raptors is illegal so this is not broadcast - as far as i know big cats are not protected so why keep quiet, plus monies for the Sun exclusive. i am not sure there are many farmers who would miss out on this... As for dead piglets up trees i can find no evidence of this except, unfortunately reports on pig farms...so they may have been of the winged kind :)

Well I'll expect to see a photo of the Teme Valley cat before I see a picture of a Teme barbel that you've caught (recently).
Now... hen's teeth, they're relatively more common;)

Got plenty, the fish are there still....you just need to put effort in.

Simple equation

Time + effort = rewards.;)

You do make me smile, and
:D:D:D:D I bow to your superior angling skills :D:D:D:D

Superior? ? How.....it's simple if you can see them then bait up and try.

If you can't then look for the features and/or a bit of simple river craft and fish to them.

You will only catch them with a bait in the water that's for sure.

Tight lines

Mike As we know killing otters and raptors is illegal so this is not broadcast - as far as i know big cats are not protected so why keep quiet, plus monies for the Sun exclusive. i am not sure there are many farmers who would miss out on this... As for dead piglets up trees i can find no evidence of this except, unfortunately reports on pig farms...so they may have been of the winged kind :)

Paul check out post 73 on this thread re pig carcases up trees ,pigs live on pig farms so you would reasonably expect them to be found on or near these farms wouldn't you ? With all due respect I think your understanding of farmers approach to dealing with predation is wrong . I don't think big cats are protected by law ,neither are fish but there are many examples of anglers being threatened or beaten for simply trying to catch them . I think there are plenty of nut cases around who would take a very dim view of farmers shooting big cats and would take direct action against the shooter if their identity was put in the newspapers . Don't forget hunting foxes with dogs was totally legal not that long ago but those who chose to hunt in that way were regularly harassed and assaulted

Superior? ? How.....it's simple if you can see them then bait up and try.

If you can't then look for the features and/or a bit of simple river craft and fish to them.

You will only catch them with a bait in the water that's for sure.

Tight lines

I know less about the Teme than Terry, however as you say 'if you can see them' etc, are you serious?

Terry virtually lived on the Teme, in fact he did live on the Teme, other good anglers that cut their teeth on the Teme, Lol, Trefor West, Des Taylor all report the same, the Teme is as hard as a river can be. I have walked it's banks many a time, and fished, I used to see barbel, but not any more let alone catch any....

However thanks for the 'heads up' on the watercraft :)

I know less about the Teme than Terry, however as you say 'if you can see them' etc, are you serious?

Terry virtually lived on the Teme, in fact he did live on the Teme, other good anglers that cut their teeth on the Teme, Lol, Trefor West, Des Taylor all report the same, the Teme is as hard as a river can be. I have walked it's banks many a time, and fished, I used to see barbel, but not any more let alone catch any....

:D:D:D ATB mate. As I said.....makes me smile.

ATBA
Terry

The Teme is not a hard river at all, you have to be stealthy a lot more now but the fish are STILL there. And just because two named anglers that make extortionate amounts of money from guiding people on a river saying it's hard doesn't (to me) make it the Gospel truth. And how you can't see any barbel is beyond me......are you wearing Polaroid glasses? Before this water came on you could see the flashing of barbel along the shallows of the lower and up at Broadwas.

I have a mantra that I teach my staff.....practice makes it perfect is not what I'm after.......as you can be practising the wrong way for years.......PERFECT practice makes it perfect.

Perhaps I should guide you and Tel on the Teme for say a hundred quid....which I would put to charity.

Who's still guiding on the Teme Jeff?

And have they seen any big cats about
(Hows that Mike?)

Says it all Graham, ACE:) Succinct. You'd think it was the 'Silly (close) Season' at the mo.
Hey-ho, it takes all sorts.
ATBA
Terry

PS...if only Des and Westie were half as good an angler as you Jeff, they'd be making a fortune. Maybe offer them a day's guiding eh. Give them the benefit of your profound knowledge and skills, maybe get them on your 'staff':eek:

Love, peace, and fishy smelling hands to you all (whatever you're getting up to:p)

The Teme is not a hard river at all, you have to be stealthy a lot more now but the fish are STILL there. And just because two named anglers that make extortionate amounts of money from guiding people on a river saying it's hard doesn't (to me) make it the Gospel truth. And how you can't see any barbel is beyond me......are you wearing Polaroid glasses? Before this water came on you could see the flashing of barbel along the shallows of the lower and up at Broadwas.

I have a mantra that I teach my staff.....practice makes it perfect is not what I'm after.......as you can be practising the wrong way for years.......PERFECT practice makes it perfect.

Perhaps I should guide you and Tel on the Teme for say a hundred quid....which I would put to charity.

Jeff, to say the Teme isn't a hard river is nonsense...it's a mere shadow of what it once was. I walked the banks a couple of seasons back, and didn't spot a single barbel. Used to fish it a lot before I became a more serious barbel angler, when I was more match orientated, I'm talking 20-25 years ago. The river was full of them then.

Now it isn't. You only have to look at the Teme thread on here. It speaks volumes.

I don't think anyone's saying there are no barbel in the Teme, Luke, just fewer - making the Teme a harder river than it once was. It's an obvious consequence of fewer fish, and many other rivers/anglers are suffering because of it.

Fewer big cats on the loose as well, I imagine. :)

Teme.
Anyone know when the BS long term phd report is due?

Couldn't be as simple as the Floods pushed many into the Severn could it........

Unless the cats liked fish. Mine does..

Back